Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes on a shoestring...

Poster: A snowHead
It all began when Zit 2 announced that she was going to take PE as a GCSE option. Help!!! How do we find 4 sports that she can do well Confused

She was going to have to include skiing as one of the 4. I quickly suggested and I would offer to take her so she can be videoed a couple of times. Tough call but there are some jobs that parents just can’t escape from.

The plan was that we’d go at half term as the family trip is at Easter.

But February half term is sooo expensive for a short break Confused Being cunning I booked up non Saturday flights as this would be much cheaper. Being stupid, I booked up the wrong week and it was not the time when she was actually off school rolling eyes

By the time I had realised this it was too late to change, oh well, another week off school won’t hurt. So I invited along Zit 1 and Zit 3 who were actually off that week. In the end it was just me and Zits 2 and 3 that went. An ideal combination as they fight like... well they fight like sisters I guess Confused . Not all the time though, sometimes they sleep rolling eyes

Next question is how do we find accommodation for part of one of the busiest weeks of the season. Answer – go somewhere where no-one in their right mind would choose Very Happy

Not Les 2 Alpes, I hasten to add, bearing in mind the grotty season snow-wise, I had been sitting quite smugly thinking that I had that one pre-booked. That was the good decision that I made...

“How about camping” I suggested. That could be fun. Well, not quite a tent, that would have been a bit extreme but the next thing to it was a wooden hut in a field a long way from the resort.

There we headed. To stay in a wooden hut in the middle of a field in Venosc for 4 nights.

Venosc is handily placed for access to L2A, linked by a 8 min gondola and residents get a 20% discount on the day price of the lift pass – see, I’m not totally stupid. But that is probably where its advantages end Confused

I had been advised that Venosc (pronounced Venosc) was dead, but they were wrong, it wasn’t as lively as that.

The first night we went off to find a restaurant. The first place had other guests but no food (well nothing that would suit my vegetarian offspring who won’t eat vegetables, fish, eggs, healthy food etc etc rolling eyes ), so on we travelled.

The only other restaurant that we found, felt like we were walking into someone else’s living room, there were only 3 other people eating there (plus a dog that went round grabbing food off the tables – mmm lovely, glad I didn’t have any of that bread Shocked ) I think the lady was rather surprised to have visitors Confused still, the food was warm and filling and it didn’t smell like the dog had tried it first.

A drawback with the gondola back from L2A to Venosc was that it finished at 7pm. Unwilling to risk the liveliness of a second night out in Venosc, we adopted the “eat and be smelly” approach the next night and ate early in L2A. Steaming ski clothes on the backs of our chairs seemed to have a strange effect on other would-be-punters and the restaurant remained surprisingly empty during our meal there Confused I must write back and apologise for the low takings that night Confused

This night revealed another problem with living in a wooden hut in a field in the middle of nowhere. There isn’t much hot water, and when Zit 3 managed to get shampoo in her eye, and in her attempt to wash it out, she managed to empty the hot water tank of its contents. Before I had showered Evil or Very Mad

With not much success on the eating out front, we then thought we’d try a bit of home cooking. Fresh pasta and a tomato sauce in a jar – I can turn my hand to anything. Pronounced as the best meal of the stay it was decided to repeat the event the following night.

This revealed yet another problem with living in a wooden hut in a field in the middle of nowhere. They haven’t sorted out the power supply. It may have been co-incidental, but having the heaters, lights and then the oven on caused the whole field to fuse and us and the other 3 chalets were plunged into pitch black.

An 8 min gondola ride to L2A becomes a 40 minute car ride but anything was preferable to sitting in a dark, cold wooden hut in the middle of a field so off we set, but by the time we got there our stomachs were noisier than the engine. Fortunately by the time we got home again, the power was restored, which was good as I had been remembering the thread about sleeping in the car overnight and had visions of us doing the same Confused

What of the skiing? Well clear blue skies, lovely piste conditions (especially up high) and once we’d got up the mountain, there was very little queuing. The timing of the flights meant that we got 5 hours skiing on our first part-day, and then 3 full days, so plenty of time for us all.

Lessons with easiski had been prebooked and she was totally professional in taking Zit 2 through the requirements (as we had understood them) of edexcel GCSE PE. Just hope it works now Very Happy but thanks again Charlotte.

Day 1 saw us having to split up to come down the mountain. Zit 2 wouldn’t ski the green, Zit 3 wouldn’t ski the black rolling eyes and apart from the lifts back down, they are the only options. I took Zit 3 down the green, took a wrong turn and found ourselves on the black Embarassed she didn’t like me for that.

Oh, if anyone finds a walkie-talkie then it could be the one that Zit 3 dropped. She had only had possession of it for 2 hours rolling eyes how she could be so clumsy is beyond me. (Of course it could also be the one that I dropped, but of course, that wasn’t down to any fault of my own). Hmmm, losing 2 out of 3 walkie talkies is not a good track-record and had we stayed longer and carried on at that rate the whole mountain would have been wired for sound.

So, was it a cheapie? Well, not as cheap as going in January, but for half term it was. For the 3 of us, the wooden hut in the middle of a field worked out at about £75 each for the part-week (including intermittent electricity and bedding), the flights were also about £75 each. Carhire and petrol worked out at about about £45 each. Pasta and tomato sauce €2 each (result Very Happy Wink )

I am sure my economics GSE was cheaper for my parents, but definitely not as interesting an experience. Roll on April when we have to do it all again Laughing

Executive summary for Frosty the Snowman:
We skied and it was good. Wooden huts in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere are best left to cattle Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing Should think you were glad Zit 1 opted to stay at home! wink

& never choose to shower after your teenage daughter - especially if hair washing is involved. Mine declared a few years ago that she couldnt understand how anyone could wash their hair in a shower in under 25mins Shocked wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, awesome report!!! Sitting here smiling and thanking the good lord we have 2 boys!!! Laughing NehNeh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, I expect Mrs Zorro and Zit 1 have been laughing their socks off at that sorry tale rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, Believe me, boys are just as bad. For a small fee I can arrange a very sucessful and reasonably priced holiday wink (guess where?)

Many thanks for sharing your pain with us Laughing

PS Have you considered selling the above as a script for "National Lampoons European Ski Vacation" wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One day you'll be able to look back and smile (of course you may have been sectioned by then) Very Happy

Great story though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly wrote:
One day you'll be able to look back and smile (of course you may have been sectioned by then) Very Happy

Great story though.
I don't think they'll let him out for a third time. Care in the Community is not all its cracked up to be wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mrs Zorro may be, though the girls may be a tad put out at being labelled as Zits Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, excellently told Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, well. you won't forget that holiday in a hurry Very Happy

I liked Venosc on an afternoon's visit - maybe that's the best way to visit it wink

FWIW, I think Les 2 Alpes is surprisingly good value for money. A 6-day lift pass for me in January worked out at €141 including Carte Neige cover.
The Lutins (a tad more comfortable than your pit) was €35/day for single occupancy. Perfect location, ace bar, lovely en-suite room, but very basic breakfast.
Transfer to/from Grenoble was €21 return - excellent buses but they did involve a lot of waiting around at the airport and the Grenoble bus station.

Overall, with top-notch instruction from easiski in a small group at snowheads prices, astonishingly good value for money. I am surprised it is not more popular, and hope to be out there again next season, with a small group.

Just to add icing to the cake, parking at the Slip-End carprk was under £22 - and access was not a hassle at the times I was travelling to and from Luton on Sundays.

Despite not a lot of fresh snow, I had a great time. I think my skis did, too. I'll find out tomorrow when spyderjon sees them Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, next time you want a cheapo week, I suggest rent a car and stay in Bourg d'Oisans - 20/30 mins to resort (which ever one you choose), at least seven restaurants, most of them doing some kind of non-meat, couple of bars, one of them sporting a bit of teenage totty for your daughters to ogle. You can buy us a beer while you're there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, ah, Bourg d'Oisans. I know it from camping near there one summer... Funny you should say that as I did think about staying there originally, but in fact Venosc was very convenient. I also considered driving there on the night of the powercut but wondered whether there would be the options - sounds like there would have been.

I didn't realise you were there, I had in mind you were Grenoble for some reason Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, I believe we will be at L2A at the same time at Easter, all round yours for a sumptuous banquet perhaps?

achilles, but we did spend significantly more each evening on meal/drinks than on the overnight at Les Lutins. My Lift Pass was dearer than that, why? wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing sounds an 'interesting' trip! Toofy Grin Had me laughing Toofy Grin Glad you managed to find the time to write such an excellent report in your busy first day back at work Razz Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, you're on - do you like pasta? Laughing I agree about the lift pass price though, it was much more than achilles obtained Confused I think I paid about €90 for a three day pass without insurance.

cathy, it's been a bad day at work - achieved nothing Sad (except writing this rolling eyes )
latest report
Colin B wrote:
..........achilles, but we did spend significantly more each evening on meal/drinks than on the overnight at Les Lutins. My Lift Pass was dearer than that, why? wink

Er. Well. Yes. But a darn sight cheaper than dining/drinking out in, say, Val D'Isere. And it might have been cheaper still if I hadn't been led astray.Madeye-Smiley
As for the lift pass - being senior has its privileges Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing Laughing

So you didn't attach your walkie talkies to your jackets then rolling eyes
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
........ I agree about the lift pass price though, it was much more than achilles obtained Confused .........

Here are Les 2 Alpes lift-pass prices. Cost for a 6 day pass for thsoe of (ahem) senior age is 126,40€, but as I said, I took out Carte Neige as well. Douce la la sécurité.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, mine was clipped on to my rucksack, but I'm not sure how/why/when it fell off Confused They had worked well except that I found that I kept pressing the wrong buttons and getting loud frenchmen shouting incomprehensibles Confused
latest report
achilles, a little too late for me to need now, but do you know what area the "symple" pass covers?
snow report
Ray Zorro, Oh, we have never used the clips, we tie ours to our pocket zips and then tuck them inside the pocket.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, 10-4 Rubber Duck, but why radios .. do you not find it easier to ski?

Unless you go off -piste or have myriads of incogbrats ( or similar) then surely you're 'together' most of the time. What am I missing??
snow report
Ray Zorro, easiski (as you would expect) is building up a dossier of snowHead s there that week which is growing by the minute, I know that Chris Bish and Annie are on that list. Pasta is fine but I do like the carniverous variety.

achilles, I was being very naughty because I knew full well why your pass was cheaper Embarassed
ski holidays
Agenterre, Laughing Missing - alot methinks ! rolling eyes We lost our son one year - he was very lucky and got help, but ended up on a different mountain and was taken by car to where we were parked. We ski with our friends and their kids, some are faster than others, and don't like waiting around - kids like to go to the park etc. They were very handy for meeting for lunch etc, and the kids found them fun. This year one of the young adults in our group had broken his arm, and the kids were able to make contact with us immediately and we were able to reach him within minutes - I wouldn't be without one now !
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Aaarggh , OK now I understand.

The Good Lady and I move so slowly on the slopes that we are being entered in the Val d'Isere 'Cours d'Escargots' next year so hardly that need . French mobiles obviously help as well.

Given your propensity to lose kids would you mind taking my daughter skiing next time snowHead ( Private joke folks , so my apologies)
snow report
Ray Zorro, Excellent story! Hope the vid is OK - I didn't check I'm afraid. Very Happy
latest report
Colin B wrote:
...achilles, I was being very naughty because I knew full well why your pass was cheaper Embarassed

To be honest, I had forgotten the discount. I can see why Ray Z was puzzled - didn't mean to mislead.

Still think LDA is a great value place.
ski holidays
achilles, I know you didn't Smile and I agree it is very reasonable. With easiski's help I've just organised a superbly priced Easter trip too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="achilles"]

FWIW, I think Les 2 Alpes is surprisingly good value for money. A 6-day lift pass for me in January worked out at €141 including Carte Neige cover.
The Lutins (a tad more comfortable than your pit) was €35/day for single occupancy. Perfect location, ace bar, lovely en-suite room, but very basic breakfast.
Transfer to/from Grenoble was €21 return - excellent buses but they did involve a lot of waiting around at the airport and the Grenoble bus station.

Overall, with top-notch instruction from easiski in a small group at snowheads prices, astonishingly good value for money. I am surprised it is not more popular, and hope to be out there again next season, with a small group.

I agree totally with you here
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, I've stayed in Bourg d'Oisans for a few days, it's a nice little place indeed. I might actually be in L2A in mid march - a boarder mate of mine wants another week away... yay!!! All depends on where we can find a cheap deal for 2 people.
snow report
Scarpa, If so, you'd better be sure to say hello or you'll be in trouble at the EOSB Shocked wink
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
It all began when Zit 2 announced that she was going to take PE as a GCSE option. Help!!! How do we find 4 sports that she can do well Confused
There we headed. To stay in a wooden hut in the middle of a field in Venosc for 4 nights.

This night revealed another problem with living in a wooden hut in a field in the middle of nowhere. There isn’t much hot water, and when Zit 3 managed to get shampoo in her eye, and in her attempt to wash it out, she managed to empty the hot water tank of its contents. Before I had showered Evil or Very Mad

What of the skiing? Well clear blue skies, lovely piste conditions (especially up high) and once we’d got up the mountain, there was very little queuing. The timing of the flights meant that we got 5 hours skiing on our first part-day, and then 3 full days, so plenty of time for us all.

Executive summary for Frosty the Snowman:
We skied and it was good. Wooden huts in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere are best left to cattle Laughing

Soiunds like you Mooooooooved along in your exciting adventure and had herds of fun

[/b]
ski holidays
SnowHot, It's not quite that bad - chalets on a campsite with running water, heating, cooking and loos AFAIK. Many of my families stay there, he's just being funny! NehNeh
snow report
Ray Zorro,

fantastic report Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
easiski, as you can read in my comments to him in The Dawning chorus
Quote:

Ray Zorro wrote:
SnowHot, my trip report is here. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24657

It wasn't as bad as it sounded Laughing

boredsurfin, how did I get to go to (only part of) the esob - PE GCSE wink Laughing

I'm not one to read a post that rivals "war and peace" can you put that in a podcast so I can listen to it on my next road trip? Laughing Laughing

Just kidding, but goodness, that is one complicated situation! Did you take notes along the way to keep it all straight. Heck I gotta read it again to make sure I didn't miss anything.
latest report
SnowHot, I never go into the Apres ski - sorry!
latest report
easiski, wus!
snow report
easiski, Will defo pop in and say hello if we end up going there. I haven't skied there before and fancy trying a high resort I haven't been to before.
snow report
Masque, Twisted Evil

Scarpa, Very Happy
snow report
Did I mention.... I haven't been there before Laughing rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy