Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storing boots - the airing cupboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

So I came back with boots which were wet inside - after a bit of debate (as I don't find them easy to put back) I've taken out the soft inside layer. This was clearly a good thing to do as there were physical drops of water between them and the plastic outer as well as being damp inside. Given the knowledge that they are heat to fit things I have stood them a respectable distance from the landing radiator for a few days, as they gradually seem to be drying out. Once dry I will look to store them for next time. I could put them in the loft, but I'm not convinced that its not damp, or into a bedroom wardrobe which would no doubt be OK, but mum suggested that the airing cupboad might be a good place. The top shelf is a decent distance from the hot tank and it is lovely and dry. Would it be a good place to put them do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine just sit in the bottom of the wardrobe. Once yours are throughly dried out I'm sure they'd be fine there. The airing cupboard seems a bit OTT & might be too warm. Don't forget to do the buckles up when you store them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say the bedroom cupboard would be best.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obviously, yours would be better off not in the bottom of my wardrobe, before some smart alec says it first Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, shame, I was rather fancying a rummage through your closet Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We take the liners out of ours to dry, then put them back in and stick them in the loft - my aunt did this and mice ate the liners whilst they were in the loft Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Liners and footbeds out to dry - not to much heat, just somewhere warm.
Re-assemble boots - Do up clips to your normal ski settings.
Put in a dark dry place to store - UV light will degrade the plastic.

Mine get none of that as I use them 3 times a week all year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

We take the liners out of ours to dry, then put them back in and stick them in the loft - my aunt did this and mice ate the liners whilst they were in the loft

Yes this happened to us too! Minor damage to the tops of some boot liners caused by mice in the loft. Mrs Trenmold sewed them up and we carried on using them for several years (the boots that is, not the mice!) Our new boots are now stored in an old suitcase (suitably thick and rodent proof) in the loft.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't put them in the sauna in resort for a quick overnight dry when they are totally soaked. I mean soaked as in puddles in the bottom. If you put them in the sauna they will be nice and dry, but only fit the foot of bilbo baggins,

Good excuse for my new boot purchase this year though. Same mistake will not be made again I hasten to add.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right I've finally got the liners dry - but what a flippin' fight to get them back into the boots. I tried putting the liners on my feet then the outers - that worked for one, but I couldn't get the other one in. Took about 10 minutes of fighting until I finally shoved it into place, then stuck both the insoles backin - not an exercise I shall look forward to repeating. I will stick them in a wardrobe and write a note on December on the calendar as to where I've put them, 'cos I'm bound to forget!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Right I've finally got the liners dry - but what a flippin' fight to get them back into the boots. I tried putting the liners on my feet then the outers - that worked for one, but I couldn't get the other one in. Took about 10 minutes of fighting until I finally shoved it into place, then stuck both the insoles backin - not an exercise I shall look forward to repeating. I will stick them in a wardrobe and write a note on December on the calendar as to where I've put them, 'cos I'm bound to forget!!

good god woman, how big is your house Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, fighting liners in and out of boots is excellent exercise! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hoppo, not if you've got arthritic fingers it isn't, I hate having to do it and always enlist help. Bootfitters must have very strong hands and fingers. We always put our boots on blower driers (cold air) which we installed in a wardrobe in the apartment. That way they are always dry when we put them on. Out of season they are stored under the large bed, which was built to be high enough (and no, can't say we notice any smell from them, maybe because we never let them get soaked, and I give them a spray of trainer stuff before storing). When I stored them at home it was always in the attic - they take too much room elsewhere. The attic is dry and the temperature variation (very cold in winter, very hot in summer) didn't seem to do any harm. If your attic is damp you need to find out why!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, 6 bedrooms, 3 living areas, 2 kitchens, 1 hallway 3 landings, 2 lofts and five bathrooms - also about 10 wardrobes - so although it sounds an odd thing to do, writing in about the relevant wardrobe is a worthwhile thing to do - we often scribble on the last page of the calendar those things we want to remember the next year. Then when we get the new calendar I transfer the notes to the top of the appropriate month. As a tip it could be useful to someone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, I just stick mine on top of the wardrobe with the camping gear. However, I have a mate who's a ski instructor - he chucks the liners in the washing machine and then sticks them on top of the radiator to dry, before shoving them back in the boots and dumping them in the garage for the summer.

I really think it's possible to be far too anal about these things.
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
You should be drying your liners everyday you ski, I always remove them each night as it allows the inside of the shell to dry out, remove the foot boards from the shells and the foot beds from the liners.

The forced air dryers are good too but it is still best to remove the liner. The heating sticks are OK for warming them but moisture will re condense so you need the liners out to dry properly.

There is no harm in gently heating your shells to aid getting liners in and out, indeed part of the proper fitting process for ZipFit liners is to heat the shells in an oven till they are really soft and pliable so hot that the tech will need gloves to handle them. (If you have had Zipfits done in the UK they probably won't have done this! but I met the man who invented them and his No.1 fitter in the USA and he personally did them for me like this) .

A nice warm boot with a dry liner will give a better fit when you put it on in the morning and make sure your feet stay warm. Don't melt them though and don't put a hairdryer into your liners or you may melt the glue!

To get your liners back in, make sure the shell is at least warm to room temperature. Put your hand into the liner with the back of your hand facing the back of the boot and slide it all the way down until the tips of your fingers touch the end of the toe box, your palm will be facing up and the back of your hand on the foot bed. Now with the shell in front of you with the toe facing you curl your fingers slightly to curve the front of the liner and push the liner in to the shell with a rotational movement so it slides down and forward fully into the shell it shouldn't require great force.

Keep the boots buckled to your normal settings to maintain the shape. Put them in you boot bag and stick 'em in the loft/cupboard/wardrobe.
snow conditions
I've said it before but get some of these. No faffing about trying to get liners in or out (I have no muscles and find it impossibe anyway). Once you've got them you'll wonder how you ever did without them. Put them on your Christmas list!
snow report
maggi, Will do, thanks...but it didn't help not having them this year
snow conditions
Megamum, I know the purists will crucify me rolling eyes but a quick spray of pledge or the like into the boot shell makes all the difference getting the liners in and out and is only needed once or twice a season.
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, Might try that - thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy