Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change to Banff ski bus service next year

Poster: A snowHead
Martin Nicholas, good luck with that - the more the better. several of us have emailed the resort, the mayor etc and haven't had a reply. let us know if you do.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx, I got a reply by return, and if lots of us are asking maybe it will wake them up a bit - so the reply went:

Unfortunately I cannot confirm any information for next season, you can contact us next September and we should be able to provide you with an answer. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a Great Day!

Alicia McLevin

Not very promising then, Banff lovers can I suggest you all e-mail and ask the question?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Nicholas, well done! I got a similar reply, Mr HL didn;t get one at all and nor did a number of other snowHead s
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Next September is far too late. I guess most people will book before then
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevev wrote:
Next September is far too late. I guess most people will book before then

Why not go to another Canadian resort for next season while Banff sort out their bus issue?

Perhaps you should send them an e-mail telling them that too.

I don't know what percentage of Banff skiers are coming from Britain and what impact your collective action may be.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am thinking of going to another resort. Just spoilt by the number and variety of runs in Banff area though.

Where else is there apart form whistler with that much to do
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was going to book this week for Banff, will wait and see whats happening.

Will some one be posting the out come???
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MFC, I'm sure someone will! I'm keeping a weekly eye on the Banff Crag and Canyon and I'm sure any update will be detailed there. Watch this thead Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ive e mailed via the links asking them about the bus service. The problem Ive got is I wanted to book soon as theres an "Early booking" discount!

I dont think I could be arsed with the messing around to be honest, after a great day skiing I want to relax and chill.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, the latest report from the Crag and Canyon is that an announcement could be made in a month's time with a resolution to the problem - and it looks like a funding formula is being sought to maintain the current hotel to ski area service, with the hotels also contributing to the cost of the service http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com/News/311417.html
http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com/Opinion/311425.html

Good news if this does happen, we'll see........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, thanks for keeping us informed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx, well if they resolve the current situation that will be good. But it hasn't been a very good PR move on their part, especially with non-replies to emails.

But then the ski bus will probably operate just the same as always next season, with the vast majority of skiers in blissful ignorance of all this!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the hotels have to continue you can bet the hotel prices will go up the lift pass will go up anyway even if they have passed some of the cost of the buses to the hotels.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russell, yup! You can bet the cost of the lift pass won't go down! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone heard anymore news on the buses. ??
snow conditions
stevev, they're not reporting anything fresh on the Banff Crag & Canyon. My post above of 30 May said an announcement could be made in about a month's time, so any time soon hopefully!
ski holidays
I got this off the Mount Royal hotel in reply to my query

Quote:

Thank you for your continuous interest with the Mount Royal Hotel, unfortunately town of Banff and ski hills are still discussing the case and we are not sure when they will be finalized their discussion.

I apologize for the inconvenience and we hope everything will be discussed soon to prepare for next winter season.
snow conditions
Looks like the parties have come to an agreement! http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com/News/322106.html
latest report
harryok525, excellent news! Although they've lost our custom for the next season, we will be back. I've copied below part of the article as they tend to disappear after a few weeks.

Banff Crag & Canyon wrote:
The ski buses will be running door-to-hill again this winter after a deal was struck between mountain resorts, hotels and tourism to keep the service alive for another year.

After months of meetings the three groups have come to an arrangement that will keep the buses running exactly as they did last winter.

But the deal is only good for the 2007/2008 ski season. After that, there’s the expectation a regional transportation authority will be formed to take over busing to the hills.

Under the agreement that was signed by all parties, the ski hills will continue to pay for the bus service to the same 11 locations as last year.

The hotels and Banff Lake Louise Tourism will then put up funds for an aggressive marketing campaign that will promote the ski hills in the UK and eastern Canada to attract more tourists. The hotels will pay a certain amount of money based on the number of rooms they have.
snow report
Well I'd agree with you Cathy, I will be back but due to all the faffing this year I've looked at other resorts instead.
snow conditions
This was the only sensible idea for the hotels. Business will be presereved and 80% of the visitors won't even realise there was ever a potential problem.

Could be the Mount Royal again for us in Feb, just across the road from the Ski Hub bus stop
ski holidays
Good news!

I was just tipped off that my letter to the editor made the paper too!

http://cgi.bowesonline.com/pedro.php?id=65&x=story&xid=318718

"Ski bus issue could potentially ruin dream wedding trip"

Tuesday June 26, 2007
We have read with interest -- and a fair deal of concern -- about the issue with the bus service currently being debated, and hopefully resolved soon.

Our concern is more than a typical English tourist as we have our winter wedding booked at the Fairmont this Christmas. We are staying local in town, eating local, enjoying local attractions with our families, and of course hoping to ski local.

Removal or a change to the bus service would make the latter very difficult for us, and potentially ruin what is our dream wedding.

I visited in March just for three days on route from Seattle, to see your town, and experience the skiing a little. Having skied for years in Europe in ski-in/ski-out resorts the idea of ‘bussing’ up to the ski hill seemed worrying, but my fears were unfounded thanks to the excellent service offered and the great staff running the buses. And of course the fantastic skiing!

So I hope all of those involved get their heads banged together and realize that its more than just the short-term bottom line at stake here. People here in the UK are discounting your town as a destination for next year already. That would be a great shame for those that don’t then get to enjoy the Banff experience, and I imagine a very bad result indeed for your town.

Fingers crossed from many miles away hoping our wedding will be as great as we hoped it would be!

--------------

Here is the press release that the accomodation we are stating at sent us last night (And I highly recommend http://www.buffaloberry.com !)

July 9, 2007
For Immediate Release
LANDMARK SKI MARKETING PARTNERSHIP SIGNED IN BANFF
Ski Resorts, Banff Lake Louise Tourism, Hotels Formalize Partnership to Improve The Visitor Experience
BANFF, Alberta - With the goals to enhance the already spectacular Banff National Park ski vacation experience, a landmark partnership agreement was signed today by the three world famous Rocky Mountain ski resorts, Banff's' regional hotels represented by the Banff Lake Louise Hotel Motel Association and the destination's marketing organization, Banff Lake Louise Tourism.

The partnership will lead to special vacation packages, expanded marketing campaigns, and guarantees high quality bus service next winter from the partnering hotels to the Sunshine Village, Lake Louise and Norquay resorts.
Although the partners have worked closely together in the past, the official agreement formalizes and enhances efforts to ensure visitors to Banff National Park have a truly outstanding vacation.

Together, in association with Travel Alberta, the partners are expanding both national and international marketing of winter ski and snowboard vacations to Banff National Park, Canada's first national park and a designated world heritage site by the United Nations. The agreement marks the first time the three parties have fully merged efforts to offer visitors an unforgettable Canadian Rocky Mountain winter ski experience.
"Our intent is clear; to attract more visitors to Banff and Lake Louise next winter," said David Roberts, board chair of Banff Lake Louise Tourism, and regional vice-president of Fairmont Hotels. "By working closely together, we can create even better vacation packages and ensure a spectacular winter experience."
As part of the agreement, Banff Lake Louise Tourism will lead with marketing effort targeting the United Kingdom while Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine will increase efforts in Eastern Canada with a special focus on offering increased value to Canadian skiers and boarders who book their vacation early.
"The really big winners here will be our guests who enjoy the unique experience of skiing and boarding in Banff National Park," said Vicki Smith, President of the Banff Lake Louise Hotel Motel Association, and general manager of Banff Rocky Mountain Resort. "They are assured great ski bus service from the partner hotels to our three ski resorts here in Banff / Lake Louise."

Ladd Snowsell, general manager of Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine, said the resorts will offer ski bus pick-up service at 11 different Banff locations, the same as in previous years. "Guests of partner hotels with a tri-area lift ticket including bus will have easy access to a great transit system," said Mr. Snowsell. "With this new agreement and expansion of our cooperative efforts, there is tremendous opportunity to attract more people to the world famous Canadian Rockies."
With 7700 acres of skiable terrain, the three Banff / Lake Louise resorts are all uniquely, but spectacularly different. With the longest season in Canada, from early November until late May, skiing in Banff and Lake Louise offers more than 250 runs and 30 lifts.
Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine is a joint venture of the three mountain ski resorts in Banff National Park (Ski Norquay, Lake Louise Mountain Resort, Sunshine Village) that promotes the Banff / Lake Louise region as a winter destination, offering a tri-area lift ticket and a unique three day program of guiding and instructing.
Banff Lake Louise Tourism is a dynamic membership based organization focused on delivering excellence in tourism promotion. It is a results oriented marketing group committed to promoting Banff, Lake Louise and Banff National Park as a world class year round tourism destination. Its membership includes all business operating within the Town of Banff and represents over 800 businesses throughout Banff National Park.

The Banff Lake Louise Hotel Motel Association is an advocacy-based organization representing the business interests of hotels operating within Banff National Park.
ski holidays
Does anyone know the situation regards the ski bus for the 08/09 season? The solution they came up with for last season was only temporary. We're on the verge of booking for next year and then I remembered the ski bus.......

If no-one has an update I'll probably email skibig3.

scottydog, hope your wedding went well! Very Happy
snow conditions
cathy, If you find anything out can you let us know please?

I've just booked for Banff not realising this could be an issue... I hope I'm not dissappointed!
ski holidays
smudger, will do - I'll post on here if I get a reply to my email.....
snow conditions
Just the thought of having to rely on buses puts a lot of people off skiing from Banff, those that have used them realise how well organised they are. Any threat to the service will put those people off booking Banff, as it would have me if it hadn't resolved itself quickly. I hope no snowhead's snowHead holiday is affected by a repeat of this issue.

It sounds to me like the ski areas are baulking at having to fund the majority of the cost and they're playing a game with the Banff hotels to get them to cough up more. They both need each other and they both need the bus service, so let's hope there isn't a re-run of the Mexican stand-off of last year.

Someone mentioned to me last year that the bus drivers' hearts aren't in providing the winter service as they earn enough from summer visitors who tend to tip generously. I never saw anyone tip the drivers last winter.
snow report
cathy, it was my understanding that the hotels had paid millions of dollars to keep the busses running. It is obvious that the hotels rely on these busses and will do anything they can to ensure that they will still run. I wouldn't worry about it.
snow report
arv, the deal between the hotels and ski hills was only for 1 year - the final solution was for this year! I'm not worried but I do want to know what the situation is - if there is only going to be a pick-up from a central location for example then we probably wouldn't go to Banff and would go to another resort in Canada.

I've emailed skibig3 and await their answer......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, Thanks, keep us posted.
ski holidays
Well....... I have an answer of sorts....

Quote:
Hello Cathy,

Thank you for your enquiry with Ski Banff - Lake Louise - Sunshine.

Unfortunately the shuttle bus companies have not yet released their schedules for the 2008-2009 Ski season.
We anticipate this to happen late October to early November.
As soon as their schedule becomes available it will be posted on our Skibig3 website under 'shuttles from area Hotels'.

If you have any further questions, or would like to book a package with us, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Didn't exactly answer my question - nicely evaded I thought Madeye-Smiley

PS - anyone coming to this thread new - this is a resurrected thread from last year
ski holidays
cathy, so, not great if you want to book now. any chance you coudl go back and ask them to be specific on whether the shuttles will be running?
latest report
cathy wrote:
Well....... I have an answer of sorts....

Quote:
Hello Cathy,

Thank you for your enquiry with Ski Banff - Lake Louise - Sunshine.

Unfortunately the shuttle bus companies have not yet released their schedules for the 2008-2009 Ski season.
We anticipate this to happen late October to early November.
As soon as their schedule becomes available it will be posted on our Skibig3 website under 'shuttles from area Hotels'.

If you have any further questions, or would like to book a package with us, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Didn't exactly answer my question - nicely evaded I thought Madeye-Smiley

PS - anyone coming to this thread new - this is a resurrected thread from last year

Quality answer - in other words - don't book until November by which time the hoteliers will be panicking over capacity and we'll have leverage over them again. UK tour ops meanwhile won't give a s**t -do any even mention it isn't confirmed?
snow conditions
Has anyone heard any news on this yet?

I noticed the website has changed recently and there is no longer a link for shuttle times.

Given this, I emailed them a couple of days ago but I've not heard anything back yet.
latest report
Bump

Anyone know for certain what the arrangments are this season (08-09) - found a cheap deal but only up for it if the bus still goes from hotels, not via a hub. I can;t see anything on the Big3 website
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, check the Banff snow report thread, a couple people from Big3 post in there... Reality in Banff and I can't remember the other!

Where is it you are staying? The Inns?
snow report
arv, thanks, will do. I'm not booking anything till I know the score with the bus.
snow conditions
Hi, The buses are still picking people up from their hotels, and I can tell you this for certain Cool .
latest report
Bikergirl,Welcome to snowHeads. How do you know?
snow conditions
Hi,

Thanks. I checked myself directly with Iglu Ski (I think itwas them), someone else I know who has booked for 2 weeks checked, and plus somone from this site has not
long come back from there, and mentioned the buses (him missing some) Cool .
latest report
Bikergirl, ok, thanks that's what I was hoping for, to hear from someone who had been this season Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy