Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change to Banff ski bus service next year

Poster: A snowHead
Welcome to snowHeads fluffyone! Toofy Grin

I am sure something will be resolved by next year, I can't believe they'll run the bus service with just one central pick-up. But there are plenty of other places to ski in Canada, with even better snow! Shocked Toofy Grin

No reply yet to the email I sent them Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy wrote:
richmond, but with everyone else driving who would normally take the bus? Well, say half of them will drive. Or even a quarter. That's a lot of extra traffic and cars. If the bus service isn't the normal service we'll just go elsewhere.

Not really. The buses (from memory) run roughly one every half hour to each of the areas. Assuming they are pretty well full and most people wold travel in pairs, that is about 30 cars worth per bus. So about one extra per minute. One extra every 30 seconds until you reach the turn off for Sunshine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney, not really. The buses may only run about every 20-30 mins (from my bad memory) but way more than one bus goes from Banff to each ski area at a given time. Quite often just one or two hotel pick-ups will nearly fill up a bus.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they make the bus service less user friendly it will almost certainly lead to more car traffic to the ski hills, which can't be a good thing. From an individual skiers point of view, I doubt that it'll make a huge difference, provided they are happy to hire a car.

Like Cathy, I guess it'll be sorted out so that the current arrangement, or something like it, is maintained.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like this could be the business opportunity I am looking for when I move to Alberta in the summer Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
solarfish, Laughing as long as the buses don't detour via Canmore wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I loved Banff so much I don't think it would put me off going again. However it would be a real shame as I loved the bus trip ...I know... I'm getting sad in my old age....The trip to and from Lake louise was an absolute joy (especially if you managed to get the front seat) and staying at the Inns of Banff we were first on /first off. The other really fab thing about the bus was that I got to have a lovely cuddle with my gorgeous blokey at the end of the day when you are all skiied out and sleepy from your apres beer!!! (yes, we were that sad old pair of gits in front of you being all lovey dovey at an age when we should know better!!!!!!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy,

have you had any replies to emails? neither me nor Mr HL have had any, which is disappointing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helena wrote:
I got to have a lovely cuddle with my gorgeous blokey at the end of the day when you are all skiied out and sleepy from your apres beer

Puhleeeese.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond,
Quote:

yes, we were that sad old pair of gits in front of you being all lovey dovey at an age when we should know better!!!!!!)

I know! I know! But it's lovely being in love!!!!! Razz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
cathy,

have you had any replies to emails? neither me nor Mr HL have had any, which is disappointing.

No - not very impressed with their 'customer service' Confused Even just an acknowledgment would have been nice Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helena, stop it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from Banff, no change on the situation. I think it will be resolved before next year. It's just the ski resorts trying to get the local town to pay towards the costs.

The Brewsters Bus Station was the suggested pick-up point, by the rail station on the way out of town
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in Banff this jan/feb and I tend to go every year, however this year was probably my last - I was distinctly unimpressed with the bus service this year and next year's proposals will be the deal-breaker.

I usually stay in LL but this year chose to stay in Banff, so right off we were walking 200m to the bus stop, not a HUGE walk but it does mean carrying your boots and walking in shoes (yes, I can walk in my boots, but it's VERY bad for your boots!)

Add to which I didn't think the schedule this year was up to much, the buses were packed and the last bus back from LL to banff is 4:30 which is utterly ridiculous ESPECIALLY if you're doing ski school. to put it into perspective, "nachos & beer" starts at 4pm, the instructors rolled up and got organised at 4:10pm, we had quarter of a pint, handful of nachos, quick look at the photos then had to race out to get the bus. Absolutely daft! In years gone by we'd get quite merry and stagger out for the 5:30 bus - what a c*ck-up this year!
Sad

Also, due to a "lack" of snow in Austria back in Jan there were a lot of Germans in town, not a problem per se, except the bus loading staff obviously have never come across the whole "we don't queue jack" deal before and it took them a few days to get the Germans under control whilst everyone else stood around open-mouthed and giggling. Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
I noticed the buses had changed this year. We booked the Mount Royal as last year it was a bus stopping point. Quite dissapointed to arrive this year to find they had changed the stops, luckily it wasn't far to walk to the ski hub to pick it up.

Your choice of hotel in Banff should be based on the bus service. If you book somewhere at the start of the pick-up route it could take 20-25 mins to get out of town. Mount Royal is good, as is Banff Park Lodge, both at the end of pick up trail. Ptarmigan is at the end of 2nd bus route pick up trail, anywhere further down Banff avenue means a longer wait.

I agree the 4:30 last bus from louise is too early, especially as Sunshines last bus is at 6:15pm.
ski holidays
email sent ski big3 Crying or Very sad
snow report
lynned,

no reply to 3 I sent and a number sent by Mr HL, including to whatever the province governing body is - do they care? let us know if you get a response
snow conditions
I have just had a reply from info@skibig3.com - I'm personally not thrilled by this Sad

"Dear Christine,

Thank you very much for your email regarding the 2007/08 Banff/Lake Louise Ski Bus. Please allow me to clarify up front that the shuttle service from Banff to the three ski resorts in the Banff National Park (Ski Norquay, Lake Louise Mountain Resort and Sunshine Village) will continue. This is, as always, included in the multi-day, tri-area “with bus” lift ticket, or available as cash fares.

As you are aware there are changes in store for the 2007/08, and we are excited about the opportunity. In the future we look forward to providing a service that involves working with many partners including the Town of Banff, Banff/Lake Louise Tourism and our local hotels. Specifically for 2007/08 the 3 areas will run shuttle service from each resort to a central pick-up location in the Town of Banff, and we anticipate that our partners will provide the “spoke” service from their locations to the central Hub. There is discussion underway that may see the Town provide this service with its new transit equipment. We envision that a new approach should take the current service to a new, better level. The 3 ski areas believe that Banff/Lake Louise needs a revitalized tourism product including among other things, more activities and events and a comprehensive transportation service.

Additionally, work towards a regional transit authority with multiple partners is underway to ensure that the overall shuttle service can be sustained and better suit each partners' needs and provide for new service year round. We are confident that when this new service evolves it will make the Banff/Lake Louise experience even better.

Local partners are jointly and individually considering their options and we are confident more plans are yet to come for 2007/08. Your input is appreciated and we will share it with other business partners in order to assist in the community’s planning for the future. And we will follow up with you with any further news regarding Banff / Lake Louise transportation.

It is great to hear of your enjoyment with your Banff/Lake Louise experience. We appreciate your taking the time to provide your comments. We will share your thoughts about the transportation service with Banff/Lake Louise’s Tourism partners.

Yours truly,
Ladd Snowsell
General Manager "
ski holidays
Always quite fancied Banff, but if I read this correctly, then it'll be TWO buses to get up to the slopes.

We won't be bothering with that one then!

Lugging skis and snowboards onto one bus is just about acceptable, but not two!
latest report
SnowboardVicky,

Precisely Sad
ski holidays
Absolutely! We were planning to go back to Banff next year but we won't put up with having to get 2 buses.

holidayloverxx, you did better than me in getting a reply Sad . If I get one I'm sure it'll be the same as yours.

I see someone from the UK got their letter published in the Crag & Canyon http://cgi.bowesonline.com/pedro.php?id=65&x=story&xid=293482 . I sent an email to the C&C with a link to this thread but didn't send a letter for publication.
snow conditions
C'mon I know organisations use made up names but a marketing/customer relations person for a ski area called:

"Ladd Snowsell"

Wonder if they actually give a doggy-do though even if snowheads start boycotting the place - lots of Brits will still be seduced by cheap package prices, will just limit repeat business.
ski holidays
fatbob,

I've just asked him if it's his real name Toofy Grin

...and asked the question "Interesting twist - "to ensure that the overall shuttle service can be sustained and better suit each partners' needs" - what about the customer's needs?"
snow report
Update from the Banff Crag and Canyon . Looks like there's still no solution in sight.

I think writing to some of the larger Tour Operators might be the next step - see if their pressure can help at all. After all, if there's no ski bus service we won't be purchasing a holiday from them
snow report
From Crag and Canyon
http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com/News/304019.html

It looks like the discussions on transport may have taken place. The last newspaper edition was 1st May so it might update on the 8th with the latest news.

Anyone heard anything from other sources ??
snow report
As it stands above, the transfer time to the slopes has to be greatly increased if you take the bus. We may still go back,( those wings at Trappers are becoming a faint memory), but we would definitely have a car. It can't be good for the National park to have all those cars cloggin up the roads instead of a few ski buses.
snow report
Thanks for the update stevev, I've given up waiting for a response to my email to skibig3.com Evil or Very Mad

We've mentally written off going to Banff next year. We'll wait and see what they come up with first
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, Banff is a no go for us now. Whistler is too expensive. Any other recommendations for two kamikazee ladies who prefer to cross the atlantic?
ski holidays
Alexandra, Breckenridge snowHead
snow conditions
Alexandra, Red Mountain and/or Silver Star?
ski holidays
Jeez!

Santa Fe!!!

[EDIT] Ooops, I mean Taos

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-05-07 15:20; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
The latest update from the bus dispute is in the Banff Crag & Canyon here:
http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com/News/305835.html

Although not settled, looks as if there could be a solution. We we might be going next year after all!
ski holidays
The latest Crag and Canyon doesn't say anything new.

The ski resort want the town to pay for the ski busses and they still won't reveal where the central location will be. Nothing there to help me decide which hotel to use next year
ski holidays
If the paper is reporting him correctly this Snowsell guy and/or the resorts sound like they are playing hardball here. They probably know they'll get the visitors one way or another whether its through rental cars or hotels caving in and running their own shuttles. What would be interesting is if European visitor numbers do drop because of this attitude/uncertainty and hit them in the pocket - I suspect not unless European TOs are holding off contracting for beds until this is resolved as once they have the beds they will sell them one way or another. Possible bonanza for Calrgary rental car companies though.
snow report
If the european TOs are selling the packages as "normal" then I really feel sorry for all the people who'll book to Banff and get hit with this cr*p. They already "scam" us on lift tickets - our 2 weeks of tickets being a touch under what a local pays for a season pass. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Most people booking through a TO won't have researched the situation out there, so overall bookings may not suffer too much. Can't see the TO's pointing out the potential walk to the pick-up point.

Can't see car hire working either. The car parks were very busy at weekends when we were there, and you would have to fund car hire, parking fees and national park passes on top of what is already an expensive holiday
ski holidays
I'm glad this has come up on snowHead Snowheads snowHead , Banff is pretty close to the top of my destination list for next year... I will drop them an e-mail and see what they say
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
If the european TOs are selling the packages as "normal" then I really feel sorry for all the people who'll book to Banff and get hit with this cr*p. They already "scam" us on lift tickets - our 2 weeks of tickets being a touch under what a local pays for a season pass. Crying or Very sad

I don't think this is scamming tourists particularly - hard core locals get good payback on a season pass but they sell plenty to Calgary folk who get in less than 10 weekends a year & the tri-area liftpass did "include" the bus. Interestingly I bet they don't reduce the price to reflect the diminished bus service.
ski holidays
stevev, parking was free as far as I remember, and if you don't need the tri-area pass, and judge your skiing days properly, you can save on the liftpasses too. I sold on my park pass to a friend who was going in the summer, it was valid for almost 13 months, so she then passed it on to a friend who was going skiing the following January. I had a car and had no trouble parking even on president's weekend. That said, if there's no proper bus service, the parking will be awful.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy