Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's under your salopettes ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys , Newbee to this forum.

What do you wear under your salopettes ?......... Sounds like a very odd chat up line I know , but it is a genuine question.

This will be my 4th week skiing trip, and previously I've just used a pair of old cotton thermals and jogging bottoms, or draw string training pants if you prefer, and then the "pets".

However, many Betty Swallocks later I've decided to go the techno way and got myself a couple of pairs of good make base-layer pants.

So the question is .............Apart from doling out another portion of the hard earned that would keep a small nation, not unlike Andorra, going for a few weeks, on a couple of pairs of mid-layer pants. What do you suggest to wear between the base-layer and the salopettes ?

Any worthwhile suggestions would be kindly copied.

Thanks guys.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nofin apart from boxer shorts
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I usually have a pair of thermals under mine, and underpants under that!!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gorjulin, Welcome to snowHead

You shouldnt need anything else. As b]johnboy[/b], says, just some boxers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shell trousers and either Helly Hansen or Odlo thermals (whichever clean at the time). Or both at once in extreme circumstances. Or padded trousers and no thermals.

Can't comment on the swallocks problem though, as I don't own any.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
Can't comment on the swallocks problem though, as I don't own any.

There are plenty of bootfitters that I can recommend. Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear boxers 90% of the time and replace them with a single layer "blizzard" "Helly" or "skins" thermals when its below about -10 degrees. gorjulin, Not surprised you're warm with all that clobber on!!!

Guess it depends on the spec of your ski pants though... if you get some well insulated but highly breathable ones with vents you really don't need a great deal underneath unless its absolutely freezing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NOW !! There's another question......................................Considering that these new fangled base layers are supposed to be skin tight, wick away your perspiration off your skin and all that mallarkey.................Is it boxers/yfronts(noooo) on first ie. next to the Swallocks and, seeing they are not made of this groundbreaking techno material, having them swingingin the sweat.................Or is it a Superman jobbie, ie super pants on first (to wick away all that the groin area exudes) to keep you nice and dry, and then your boxers over them ...............kinda thingy!!

Do you know what I mean?

What do ya think ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got some boxers from M&S that claim to wick away sweat, seemed to work fine. Put the pets straight over the top. Had to keep undoing the leg vents as it was pretty warm in Tignes last week. I've never worn any more than this, don't want anything in the way of my socks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Calf length thermals are the boys! I think the recommendation is not to wear anything under thermals. May cause a few problems after a few days though if travelling light Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if this global waming keeps on will we all be sking in our swimming trunks next year Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just Boxers or if its really cold a pair of long johns inbetween
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boxers then every so often open the air zips on the sides to let fresh air in the aid the betty swollock problem wink snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OR...... If its quite mild just a 'Windstopper' thong but watch the tan lines Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have just checked in my wardrobe, presently a pair of old jeans and my walkie talkies.
ski holidays
gorjulin, Micro Modal and elastane (Lycra) boxers from Tchibo and Matelan (US Athletic). Similar products available from M&S, J.Lewis, Asda and all major pants suppliers . . . read the labels.
Wicking , supportive, easily washed (not that you neanderthals would know) and quick drying.
snow conditions
gorjulin, normally a pair of Lowe Alpine wicking trunks, and then just the 'pets (non-padded TNF Hyvent things) do me fine if it's reasonably mild (say >-10C). For colder days a pair of thinnish thermals as well.

Nothing extra required. If you're getting cold, then just ski harder.
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
If you're getting cold, then just ski harder.

Very Happy I shall remember that line.
snow conditions
I gave up taking thermals because I never wore them. Just a base layer, salopettes and ski jacket is all I mostly wear, plus a second layer on my top half if it is really cold and a scarf to wind or unwind, to regulate temperature at the top. (And a hat most of the time).
ski holidays
The thing to remember here is that everybody is different

Personally, the only time I have needed anything other than a pair of ordinary cotton pants and a cotton T shirt under my salopettes and ski jacket was when I was in Canada, with temperatures below -20C.

But I am a very warm person. Others may find they need thermals at anything below zero.

When you first come to skiing, you really need to experiment, and find out what works for you. Take a number of layers, and a (small) rucsack/daysack, so that you can remove/add layers during the day. Once you know what is normally right for you, then you can stop carrying extra layers.
snow report
I wear thermals at Castleford Embarassed .
snow conditions
Normally just a Thong & Stockings. wink

Just insulated ski pants normally good for down to 0 to -30.

If warmer, shell pants and Spyder stretch base layer longjohns. +5 to -10

very warm, just the shell pants.
ski holidays
Knees braces and some Butlins prize winners
snow conditions
Boxers or thermals. Never both.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:
some Butlins prize winners

Shocked What on earth are these?

Well, someone had to ask...
snow report
I reckon they're his Knobbly Knees
snow conditions
FenlandSkier,
Oh, OK Laughing Thanks for that. I can stop with the over-active imagination now Skullie
latest report
Although he could be packing a Glamourous Gran down there Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Spiderman" thermals when it's cold (i.e. February). Boxers in spring time.

I once was going to wear jeans and fortunately someone questioned the wisdom on the day in question... Smile
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, You mean you haven't heard about my prize winning plums Shocked Laughing

(you of course were correct)

samharris, I am shocked at you wink Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 23-02-07 11:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have a fleecy inner to my ski pants and thats fine....
Or if I wear shell pants then I might use some LJ's to take the cold from the shell fabric.
ski holidays
TallTone, my first skiing trip proper in January found me stood in the ski hire shop sorting out my boots. Lifting up my 'pets' the guy in the shop saw my jeans an did a rather poor job of stifling his laugh Embarassed I later found out why when I couldn't get the sodding boots on! A couple of hours after that and I discreetly whipped em off Laughing
ski holidays
Usually just boxers (M&S wicking stretch variety), if it gets really cold (like below - 10) then base-layer thermals - never both. I change them once a week whether they need it or not. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing sorry, I'll go away and behave myself now Embarassed
ski holidays
For the time of year I normally go skiing (March), usually just M&S Thermal Shorts over my briefs.
snow report
Thanks for the responses guys and gals, I feel better now about wearing just base layers under the pets.

And only 1 welcome, well, either you are all a pretty unfriendly lot ..........or ............ It's as if I've been on the forum for ages !!!!

I'll take the latter for now !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.
latest report
even in the coldest weather I rarely wear thermal base layers under my salopettes just too hot when skiing. Can be cold on exposed lifts but thats just an incentive to get moving quickly at the top
latest report
gorjulin, welcome to snowHead 's !!!
ski holidays
gorjulin,

Sorry about that, but looking at your last post your count has gone up so we think all that has been done before.

My aplogies, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
Knickers and occasionally thermals
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy