Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots... trust the fitter?

Poster: A snowHead
It's time I got my own pair of boots - in my last week I could feel the ill-fitting of rentals. While there have been many threads on the subject, something to my mind has not really been answered - do you simply trust the fitter on the kind of boots that will suit you and your skiing ability? My worry is that I will be sold a pair of boots that are much more than I need. Is that possible?

I will either be going to Profeet (as recommended many times on this site), or a local (to me) place, Ski Plus (Chelmsford) or the Alpine Room (Danbury). Anyone care to convince me which I should use?

Thanks all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TallTone, why not see if the boys do another bootfitting session like last year. Leamington Spa isn't that far.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, I'm sure we will, maybe we'll convince LARGE to get in on the act.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SZK, if you were to do a bootfitting session, in UK, when would it most likely be (ie what time of year?). Alternatively, its just possible I might get out to Chamonix during the summer - are you around then, and would you have a good range of boots in stock then (I don't know if you focus on other things over the summer), or would I have to wait until the autumn to get a good choice. It would be my first pair of boots that I have bought (nervous intermediate skier) and I would want to rely totally on the expertise of the fitter to suggest the right boots - similar concerns to Talltone.

I'm sure there would be plenty of custom if you were to do another bootfitting session in UK, judging by the number of posts about boots.

Thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gamekeeper, Nothing has been decussed as yet, the last session was a great sucsess, if not a little too busy. Provided Colin, Myself and maybe a couple of other Zookeepers can spare the time and expense, i can't see why we can't run to a few days next October. If not i'll have all the stock available all summer, give me a couple of days notice and i get on it.

We just need to get Shell Choices right at the chosen location.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I was hoping to get something before the EoSB but obviously you are going to be busy in the mountains until then Wink

Quite apart from making your acquaintance, is it worth waiting until off-season - are the prices lower on boots at this time for example?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TallTone, We don't sell boots at a discount at any time, if we drop the price to rid ourselves of old stock we then charge a service charge for fitting, often bringing the boot above the original price. That is unless your a snowhead, then the price is subject to a 10% discount. Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TallTone, Ypu could ski down to from V.T. and see the guys at Freeride in Meribel first day of the EOSB. Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Reading your original post, regarding the fact that you might be sold a boot above your needs, who will you let assess your needs? The Bootfitter or the manufacturers marketting dept'? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm wary of getting boots in-resort. I know that there is the advantage of fine-tuning while there, but I am the sort that will get by in the short term and return at length if I work myself up to needing to do something - which would be tricky in mid-June. Also of course, I would still have to rent boots to be able to get down to Meribel - and carry them back!

Of course I would trust the bootfitter, are your colleagues generally an honest lot? Are fitters generally salaried rather than on commission?

BTW 10% discount sounds good Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TallTone, unless you have cause to think you need a lot of work to get a comfy fit I think skeetex (chelmsford way) seemed good. Myself and megamum both went there and are happy with the boots. Alpine room is a lovely couple but not sure how wide the range of boots was - I only glanced though!. I am convinced neither shop would push you into an expensive boot you didn't need and would recommend going and taking a look at both one weekend.

aj xx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TallTone, Anatomy is key to Bootfitting and any Bootfitter worth his salt should be able to get it right in Resort given three days.. Flex is important but temperature, weight and speed has the greatest effect here. Stiff boots can be softened. Balancing and cant issues are secondary when consistancy is an issue. You don't need a plug or plug derived boot for sure, that said next year, Atomic are providing us with a plug derived 80kn flex freeride boot. I'll have no problems putting an intermediate, twice a winter skier in one, given their foot needs the shape.

Edit: There are exceptions to the three day rule, but the client normaly has a mental certificate. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TallTone, I went to Skee-Tex in Battlesbridge (just down the new A130 from you - into Battlesbridge over the one way bridge and immediately turn right into the mill) - they did get a nod from the odd other person here, and apparently have been in business for huge amount of time. Admittedly I would have been an easy for them - a novice at a clearly defined beginers level, but I did end up with comfy boots that I had no trouble with. For the localness, as with Danbury ski Rooms, why not pay a preliminary visit to both (maybe also to that ski shop near the multi-story carpark/icelands/tesco's in Chelmsford) and see what you think of the advice you are given. I didn't buy from Skee-Tex on the first visit - I told them I was on a reccee(sp?) and they were happy to spend time talking to me about what they would recommend. Such a strategy might be worth a thought to you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My wife went to Bicester to get her new boots and is very pleased with the result Toofy Grin
http://www.solutions4feet.com/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TallTone, It sounds so condescending to write stuff like this but do go to SZK or one of his mates or CEM ... they REALLY sorted me out --- I had spent too much on too many 'wrong' boots/fittings (€1k?) Their work has been complimented by other experts since ..

Don't dally ... jump ...
snow report
TallTone,
CEM > Bicester, it's not far Toofy Grin
http://www.solutions4feet.com/
ski holidays
And if he asks you to stick your tootsies in one of these then be afraid Shocked
ski holidays
TallTone wrote:
My worry is that I will be sold a pair of boots that are much more than I need. Is that possible?

I had my boots fitted at Profeet. After the anatomical examination, the fitter chose two pairs of moderately priced boots. After trying both, he twisted my arm to take the cheaper ones which he insisted were the better fit, even though the fashion-victim in me was leaning strongly towards the more expensive pair.

The boots are incredibly comfortable and positive to use, and I am very happy with them.

Top tip for Profeet: I only realised afterwards that they give good discounts and bonuses to SCGB members. Check with them what the current offers are - you will probably find it worth joining the SCGB just for the Profeet discount if you are not already a member.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy