Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break accommodation in St Anton or Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We like to get a weekend away with the boys (grown men!) once a year. Next years chosen options are St Anton or Ischgl.

Both these resorts are notoriously difficult for sourcing hotel or b&b accommodation for anything less than 7 nights, Sat-Sat.

In fact, I've just contacted the tourist offices of both resorts and was basically told "if you 'aint coming for a week, forget it". Have previously mailed lots of hotels privately without much luck.

So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Here's my latest brainwave ...

Maybe we could join forces with other like minded Snowhead's Very Happy ? We want 3 or 4 nights, surely there must be other people in the same situation who could book the other 3 or 4 nights ? I'm sure the hotels wouldn't object too much to a change of linen part way through the week.

Would anyone be interested in taking this further for w/c Sat 19/1/08 or 2/2/08.

On the other hand, if anyone spots any pitfalls I've not considered let me know. You never know, maybe this could turn into a ESB (early season bash) ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know why it would be a problem in St Anton, maybe look further out in St Jakob, I stayed over New Year in St Jakob beside the church from a Thursday to Thursday and now for Easter just booked from Thursday to Wednesday in Oberdorf.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Ross, can u give me some hotel names etc, feel free to PM if u don't want the world to know, of course if u want to keep them to yourself I'd understand !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, I can, it is no secret although they were pensions not hotels, same as a hotel only cheaper. At Christmas stayed in Pension Maria Sailor in St Jakob (can't find number at the moment) and for Easter have just booked Haus Markus Strolz in Oberdorf both about €32 per night b and b price (price depends on time of season but onnly varies by a few euro), see below

HAUS MARKUS STROLZ
Mathilde Strolz
Alte Arlbergstrasse 21
A-6580 St. Anton am Arlberg
Tel.:+43 (0)5446 3597
Fax:+43 (0)5446 3597 7
email: office@markus-strolz.at
http://www.arlberg.com/markus.strolz/

stanton advised me at Christmas to be patient and something will alway come up as often accommodation providers don't want to sell short breaks until they know they won't sell a full week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Ross, thanks, think I've received the same advice from stanton and others and recent experience has proved part of it to be correct. Havaing said that I'm currently looking for somewhere to stay next weekend and finding that very difficult indeed. The search has widened to all parts of St Anton (Jacob etc) but not a great dela has turnded up so far.
Let's see what markus.strolz has to say about next year !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I put in requests for this Easter on Tuesday and got at least 5 offers back yesterday, there is also a facility on the st anton website to get accommodation to offer you rooms, see here http://feratel-stanton.concentrator.net/a3t2/tosc/srch_ServiceProvider.asp?RG=OG&ID=1000066&SPTyp=1.

I considerered Pettneu also for New Year and also changing accommodation but in the end didn't have to do that. For New Year gone I booked on Christmas Eve! I suppose if it is difficult you might have to go further out, I believe Landeck is only 20 mins by train and trains are very regular all day and into the night.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guess you just have more luck than me, have just spoke to a lovely lady at the markus.strolz place but she was quite insistent that they're taking Sat-Sat bookings only. Oh well, rethink on the cards.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith,

If you do split accommodation for a week with someone I'd make sure you don't get the full bill if they cancel.
Part week accomodation normally comes avaiable nearer the time, if you have transport there's always something on offer in one of the smaller villages outside the town.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As long as your not going New Year or Fasching . Just turn up . There be somewhere free. How many are you ?

B&B do not like to rent for less than week because of the cleaning however, they will rent last minute if they have spare rooms.
I,ve never had a problem , getting off the train (St Anton)walk straight to tourist office, call a vacant house on the board display outside & within 30mins your in a house.
Everyweek in the season there are cancelations.
Big Hotels booking by the day is not problem.

I was in town at the weekend And everthing was so called booked up but it was not. The official accomodation webiste is only as good as the house owners updating it. Many houses are owned by old locals who have no computer experience.

If you stay down valley from St Anton. Pettneu or further theres allways places.

Tip
If you telephone a house it is allways good policy to introduce yourself in German.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
As long as your not going New Year or Fasching . Just turn up . There be somewhere free. How many are you ?

well this year there were 16 of us ... I would imagine a similar number next year. I guess just turning up wouldn't work, in fact it's not an option.

This is a real pain. Didn't have too many problems getting suitable accommodation in Chamonix, Val d'Isere or Zermatt for similar numbers, but these two resorts are proving difficult if not impossible.

Might have to start looking further away, i.e. Kappl for Ischgl.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK 16 thats a problem. 16 guys ? Thats even more of a problem.

The problem with weekends you are effectivly blocking the owners from two weeks of bookings.

Maybe if you offered to pay for the two weeks rent ?

St Anton & Ischgl do not market themsleves as "weekend" ski destinations. People who do come for the weekend come by car from Germany but stay out of town. Or the Austrians just come up on the train from Bludenz or Landeck or go to much cheaper ski areas.

Im going to be in town again next weekend I can ask about. What time of the season & how much you willing to pay?

You could put classified in the local paper (hard copy)

http://tirol.com/home/index.do;jsessionid=1D3F9D988F6766BE7A8182893C931ED8.4
http://www.kurier.at/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
St Anton & Ischgl do not market themsleves as "weekend" ski destinations. People who do come for the weekend come by car from Germany but stay out of town. Or the Austrians just come up on the train from Bludenz or Landeck or go to much cheaper ski areas.

Yeah, I think that just about sums it up. Maybe best bet would be to convince our guys to do it the German way and stay down the valley a bit - you mean Paznau or similar or further than that ?

stanton wrote:
Im going to be in town again next weekend I can ask about. What time of the season & how much you willing to pay?

I'm in St Anton this Friday night (first time), then Ischgl (well, OK, Kappl) Sat/Sun, so will take a look. For next year there isn't a budget as such, we'd be equally happy to pay £20 b/b in a pension or up to £80ish a night hotel (or whatever it takes, within reason), all depends on what's available. Don't go to any trouble though without me buying you a beer first Very Happy

stanton wrote:
You could put classified in the local paper (hard copy)

Will pick up a copy this weekend and check it out - ta for suggestion.

If all else fails, we'll head back to Zermatt - it was fantastic and the hotel has already offered us the nights we need, just fancy a change.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
The problem with weekends you are effectivly blocking the owners from two weeks of bookings.

Yes I can see that now. If going for 4 nights (as is the norm on these affairs) makes more sense to go Sat>Wed as opposed to Thu>Mon, thereby only blocking one full week booking, must improve the chances. Probably end up paying a bit more for that Sat flight but that's small fry when all other costs are considered.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy