Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Apache Crossfire - users opinions please...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've only skied them on piste - thought they were amazing and if i only skied on piste there would be no questions. However, i'm looking for a ski that will also handle a certain amount of off piste abuse and be able to cope in deeper snow conditions. Probably say i'd ski 70% on, 30% off. I've not done a lot of off piste skiing but what i have done i enjoyed emensly, even though i was on Streetracer 600s (i'm guessing a rental version of streetracer 8s). I'd like a bit more off piste control from my skis than the streetracers offered, but don't want a dedicated off piste ski that would ruin it's on piste characteristics.

I doubt i'll get a chance to ski off piste again before i buy skis (looking to get them cheap in the sales) and certainly not the Apache Crossfire.

So, anyone got experience of using the crossfires for a wee bit of off-piste on the side and do you reckon i'd be better going for something a bit beefier?

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly, I've only demo'd the Crossfires but for off-piste I'd suggest a bit more width underfoot. If you like the Apache feel try the Recon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had crossfires last year and switched to Recons this year in a shorter lenght and find them even better than the crossfires both on piste and off. I loved the crossfires but he recons are much better, quicker edge to edge more floaty off piste and the same stability at speed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi shoogly, I have done 5 weeks on mine and I love them. I did 4 Days off piste in Verbier in Jan and at first they were a little bit narrow under the foot but as the hours/days/experience progressed I became very comfortable on them I think that often the problem is that as holiday skiers 3/4 weeks a year our opportunities do develop and our abilities are limited, but in & this is only my experience as my confidence grew they where great. I would also say that I have been so happy on them that I have not tried fat Skis as trying powder and new skis on the same day seems like asking for trouble as big powder days are so few.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought some Crossfires last winter. Have used them for three weeks and love them. I have not tried Recons but everyone seems to like them aswell. Sport-conrad have some fantastic deals on K2 skis at the moment
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They'll be fine fine Shoogly....go for it......I have used the crossfires on/off 80/20 for a couple of weeks this year and they have been really excellent in all circumstances. Re off-piste my views are clouded by many years of using long thin skis where one could only discuss the merits of the latest GS offering or whatever. Recon vs. Crossfire offpiste - forget about it....unless you have access to some dedicated off-piste surfboards, it ain't worth worrying about. They like many other 70/30 (ish) skis will do pretty much as described so long as your doing your stuff (the crucial bit).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the crossfire and i think it as an absolutely brilliant ski. It holds speed amazingly and has a really firm fast feel to it. HOWEVER it does not like going slow, this ski is designed to be skied at speed and is not particullarly agile or responsive at slow speeds. This is obviously my personal opinion but i ve know other people who ski it to say exactly the same thing.

With regard to the recon, if i had my time again i would probably have bought the recon because i like a slightly fatter ski for thrashing in the powder but that is just because of the way i like to spend more time off-piste now than i did when i bought the crossfire.

It is a genuinely brilliant ski which isnt soft, sloppy and with no charactarisitcs like a lot of the other skis in the same category so i would definitely recommend you buy it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the info folks. Sounds like either ski would suit me and my skiing style but i'll need to wait a few weeks for prices to come down more. Thanks again Very Happy

Wacky Jacky, i know what you mean about the skis wanting to go fast. that's what i like about them. The more you put into them, the more you get out of them, unlike some skis i've tried that just seemed to get out of their depths pretty fast.

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
braeworth, thanks for the sport conrad tip! i think i need to consult the bank manager - i mean the wife!

this must be a bargain Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, that is a very hard to believe price. Anyone know how much marker binding are ?

OK just realised that the price quoted for the binding includes the skis. This is really cheap, Recons for 339.00 EUR= 226.826 GBP + 20€ for delivery

Has anyone used this company before ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick_C wrote:
shoogly, that is a very hard to believe price. Anyone know how much marker binding are ?

OK just realised that the price quoted for the binding includes the skis. This is really cheap, Recons for 339.00 EUR= 226.826 GBP + 20€ for delivery

Has anyone used this company before ?

Bear in mind you can buy it with the marker M11 binding for 279 euros + 20 euro delivery. I can't comment on the relative merits of the bindings and how much most of us would need the presumably higher qulaity bindings on offer
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dan100 wrote:

I can't comment on the relative merits of the bindings and how much most of us would need the presumably higher qulaity bindings on offer

True, The recon is a heavier ski and I'm a bit of a forceful skier so I would like a binding that I could abuse a bit and my thoughts are the more you pay the better the binding, I do like the marker binding.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick_C, I am 99kg and farily agressive skier and have had problems with my K2 recons with marker bindings after 3 weeks on snow see this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24781&highlight=
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone seen this on Crossfires, as I've just bought some and now I'm a bit worried Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, I got marker binding on my current volkl ski's and I have never had a problem with them but as your ski guy said it's a new system this year so maybe it's not upto scratch yet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy