Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route to La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Which is the quickest route down to La Plagne.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chect2000, Welcome to snowHead

If you're starting from Hereford, I'd guess a flight to Lyon or Chambery, hire a car & drive - 2hrs from Lyon , 1.5hrs from Chambery. When are you going?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chect2000, car? train? plane? give us a clue!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chect2000, Follow me on saturday Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chect2000,

Private Jet & Helicopter transfer.

Or from Calais by car - Reims, Dijon, Bourg en Bresse, Lyon St.Exupery, Chambery, Albertville, Moutier, La Plagne. 8 Hours.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry for being vauge. Yes will be driving down, On Saturday 10th March. How much are the paiage's down through??
You reckon 8 hour's. What average speed is that?

Thanks Shane
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8 hrs a bit ambitious on a saturday - more like 10 I'd say
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chect2000, For our recent trip was £110 in total - return trip - for tolls

Route as outlined by Spyderman, is regarded as best by majority of snowHead, ignore any Sat Nac or route planners which seem to like going via Paris!

Calais to La Plangne is possible in 8 hours without breaking the speed limit and allowing for a few short breaks, but you do need to be at ar around 80mph when driving. Obviously any hold up and will be closer to 10 or 12. If you can I would recommend a Friday night stop, even if you can get to Calais Friday evening it will make your journey better. Worst part of the entire trip is from our house (northants) to Dover
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info. Wheres the last fuel stop before Plagne? Where usually on the way down are the traffic hotspots so i can maybe skirt round them if needed?

Thanks Shane
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chect2000, On a Saturday, Moutiers is the worst hotspot - & its not skirt-roundable unfortunately. We're off to Plan Peisey the same w/e, but have decided to leave on Friday 9th afternoon & aim to be in our apartment by 11pm Friday night. There's fuel just after Albertville & before Moutiers, that I can think of.
In the past, we've found Moutiers not too bad if you get there early, or after 5pm. Have a good trip snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geri wrote:
chect2000, On a Saturday, Moutiers is the worst hotspot - & its not skirt-roundable unfortunately. We're off to Plan Peisey the same w/e, but have decided to leave on Friday 9th afternoon & aim to be in our apartment by 11pm Friday night. There's fuel just after Albertville & before Moutiers, that I can think of.
In the past, we've found Moutiers not too bad if you get there early, or after 5pm. Have a good trip snowHead

On busy Saturdays the heavy traffic continues right through Moutiers up towards Aime and Bourg St Maurice. If we have to drive on a Saturday we try to make sure we get through Moutiers by 11am and this seems to avoid the worst of the jams.

I'm not aware of any regular spot on the main journey down the French autoroutes which is heavily congested. It seems to be luck whether you hit any roadworks or not. Having said that, the autoroute around Lyon can get a bit busy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chect2000, You'll avoid the worst of the Lyon congestion if you take Spyderman, route.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chect2000, hopefully there'll be some more snow there by the time you arrive. It was shocking there on Wednesday, especially around the Vanoise Express and lower.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chect2000, I would get petrol at the supermarket in Albertville. It is a fair bit cheaper than further up the Tarantaise valley.

If it is busy there are traffic lights that restrict the flow into Moutiers, I would rather not hit a jam here with a nearly empty tank.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins wrote:
chect2000, hopefully there'll be some more snow there by the time you arrive. It was shocking there on Wednesday, especially around the Vanoise Express and lower.

Was that on the La Plagne side? I loathe that run - pierres blanches??- down to the VE Evil or Very Mad What was it like on the Peisey side?
snow conditions
geri, Peisey wasn't too bad. We spent the morning there on Tuesday and had a great time. Some of the runs through the trees were a bit icy, but apart from that around the Teleseige de Peisey the runs were good. The LP side of the Vanoise Express was, frankly, depressing. We were all set to turn around and go right back to Arcs 2000.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, Did you get to Chalet d'l'Arc?
snow conditions
geri, no. I called the rep. before we went out, but they were closed on the evening we were able to go. We didn't make it there for lunch either because it was so busy - every table was rammed. I'll put up a trip report later today - once I've unpacked and had a nap!
latest report
When you get down to Bourg-en-Bresse do you take the N504 to Chambery or do you carry on the A40-E62 to Lyon??

Thanks for all the posts.
Shane
ski holidays
chect2000, The choice is yours! I stick to the motorway and go around Lyon others by pass it altogether.

www.viamichelin.com is a very good route planner in conjunction with a road Atlas a bonus being that they show most of the speed camera's locations! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy