Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hardware diamond files are cheaper

Poster: A snowHead
Why are the skiing diamond files about 3 times the price?
Is there something dramatically different between them?
http://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?code=56163&mainWin=1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, maybe the purveyors of ski files reckon their clients are 3x wealthy than the average tool user Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quality, accuracy, durabilty & the diamond coverage. I only offer Moonflex diamond files because IMO they are unsurpassed in those four areas. My current set of 5 (100, 200, 400, 600 & 1500grits) have currently tuned over 80 pairs of skis plus about 30 odd snowboards & are still going strong although the 100grit is looking a little tired in a few places & it's position on the guide has to be adjusted accordingly.

Prior to getting involved with ski tuning I've bought a lot of tools over the years for gunsmithing/watchmaking & I've always found it cheaper in the long run to buy it right first time.

Like anything in life you pays ya money & ya takes ya choice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
hardware diamond files are cheaper
... than software ones? Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hoppo wrote:
GordonFreeman, maybe the purveyors of ski files reckon their clients are 3x wealthy than the average tool user Toofy Grin

Damn, I new I'd underpriced those skis I sold you wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, but hardware are delivered faster than software ones wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, I'm a little nervous about the part of your history that involved gunsmithing now Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, You were a gunsmith?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
spyderjon, You were a gunsmith?

Here's me shooting one of my creations. I think the pic was either from '92 IPSC World Champs or the '93 European Champs.

Working on skis is pretty mickey mouse after that wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-02-07 23:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a DMT diamond file that is "45 micron" how many grits is that? Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm a little nervous about the part of your history that involved gunsmithing now

Admin Just offer him a big bit of apple pie wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Linds, Mmm apple pie, the resolution to all conflicts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
II wrote:
I have a DMT diamond file that is "45 micron" how many grits is that? Puzzled

Sorry II but I've no idea.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to say that the current levels of gun crime show just what a farce the gun control laws in this country are. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, How can you even say that...? It's a major government success... handguns are much cheaper these days Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
II, around 260*, pretty coarse, roughly comparable to black DMT.

*EDIT: US mesh
snow report
spyderjon, what was it you were using in the pic ? looks like a .45 ACP with compensator and red dot sight to me but I could be wrong about the calibre.

Kramer, I along with thousands of other law abiding individuals had to hand over my handguns to the local plod, at the time the public was being told that without these legaly held weapons gun crime would decrease significantly, I could be wrong but as far as I am aware gun crime has increased each year since the ban came in.
ski holidays
D G Orf, ah a fellow shooter.

It's my own built custom IPSC race gun: Para-Ordance double stack frame, Infinity slide, Hybrid barrel c/w my own compensator design, Tasco 10min dot sight on a WCP carbon fibre plate with my own rings, fully tricked 1.5lb trigger (1911 design trigger work was my speciality), plus all the other usual IPSC work. Calibre was 38 super with my match load being a 125JRN over 6.9gns Viht 3N37 for 1450fps for a 181 F factor - man it was loud but as you can see muzzle rise was boogerall. I also had an identical matched pistol but with a lightened slide etc that ran on minor loads that I used to win the UK Steel Challenge & that I could put a barricade shroud on for Bianchi matches.

Then there was my Bianchi Cup revolver built on an S&W L frame that I was 5th individual in the Europeans with & was part of the 3 man winnng team. I also built my own comped 45 1911 single stack with Bo-Mars for bowling pin matches that would shoot sub 1" groups at 50m off a ransom rest. All the above were fed from two Dillon RL650 progressive reloading machines.

Then there was my fully tricked up Remy 11/87 with ported barrel/comp & 12 rnd mag & my Tikka M65 Supersport in 7.62/Smidt & bender scope with my own built mount, comp & twenty round mags which would hold 3-4" at 600yds.

Then pre-Hungerford there was my M1A1........

Unfortunately it's all distant memories now Sad
ski holidays
spyderjon, I did wonder if it was a .38 super but it's difficult to tell from that piccy, I had a Jerico 941, a 1911A1 (with various bits) and a 6" S&W 686, happy days Sad

Now the only ones to have guns are the bloody criminals, I wonder if the Government would like to give an answer as to how much difference the handgun ban actually made, likewise the new ban on replicas is I guess not likely to make much difference
ski holidays
Returning to topic (apologies). When I was well dug in to model engineering, I found Swiss files cost a lot more than ordinary hand files - but were much nicer to use, and kept their sharpness far better. Because something is cheaper does not always mean it is better value for money. That's not to say one should blindly pay for the most expensive of course (the Keela Monroe jacket is a claasic case of one of the cheapest being very good - and excellent value for money).
ski holidays
spyderjon,
Thing is, did I fire six or was it only five. To tell you the truth in all this confusion, I'm not so sure myself, but seeing as this is a Magnum 45, the most powerful handgun in the world and would take you're head clean off. Well, you've gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky? Well do ya? Punk. wink
snow report
Spyderman, Do you mean a 44 Magnum? rolling eyes wink
snow report
Plus Clint was wrong, the .44 Magnum is not the most powerful handgun in the world, not that it would make much difference to the punk Laughing

Currently I think the current worlds most powerful "Mass Production" handgun is the S&W .50 Magnum, a handgun that is actually more powerful than the 7.62mm NATO rifle round Shocked and some 3 times more powerful than the .44 Magnum Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
For the ultimate handgun you need to go to Austria and ask the people at Pfeifer Waffen for one of their custom made .600 Nitro Express Magnums, this is a round originally designed to stop Elephants and is arround 8 times more powerful than the .44Magnum or 3 times more powerful than the S&W .50 Magnum mentioned above Laughing
ski holidays
D G Orf, spyderjon, Spyderman, achilles, Whatever...............they will all hurt if they hit you!

I was in to small bore rifle shooting. Never owned a gun but my favourite was a henri martini action club rifle. I would regularly shoot 98, 99 prone. Never got that 100 tho. But can't get prone now - arthritis Sad
snow conditions
I fancy a go of one of those Miniguns, like Arny use's in Terminator and shoot up a few caravans. Laughing
snow conditions
I sold my shotguns, now have only a pre-charged bolt action air rifle and a compound bow. At least I can take the bow all over the world with no restrictions. No if only I could go get some venison in this country, it's not as if the UK is suffering a massive population explosion in deer now is it Shocked
ski holidays
I am looking to join an archery club near Newhaven - any ideas? I'll google it later.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman wrote:
I fancy a go of one of those Miniguns, like Arny use's in Terminator and shoot up a few caravans. Laughing

Understandable, but you will inevitably get complaints that you are prejudiced against gypsies.
snow report
Scarpa, Around Nov 5th in Richmond park every year they cull the old Queenies dear, the date allows them to disguise the shots and so avoid the public outcry. Perhaps you could offer your services for more hospitable weather times of year Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Still illegal to hunt with a bow in the UK Evil or Very Mad . Although France and Spain are promoting the sport, especially for the wild boar.
latest report
Scarpa, mainly because broadheads for arrows/bolts are illegal here and without them the animals tend to be able to keep going for some time, usually resulting in the animals suffering as the wound becomes infected and they die a slow painful death. Of course the broadheads may be illegal because of the hunting ban or the hunting ban may be because of the legality of the heads Confused
ski holidays
Scarpa, hubby was an hour late home from his game of squash last week, got into a conversation with a guy who makes longbows, lots of talk of Agincourt apparently.
latest report
Quote:

Still illegal to hunt with a bow in the UK

In York it is still legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow, but only if you spot him within the city walls after dark, and excluding Sundays.

In Chester you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

Watch it when you’re in Hereford though. You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
veeeight, Yep that sounds fair. Wink
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Scarpa, mainly because broadheads for arrows/bolts are illegal here and without them the animals tend to be able to keep going for some time, usually resulting in the animals suffering as the wound becomes infected and they die a slow painful death. Of course the broadheads may be illegal because of the hunting ban or the hunting ban may be because of the legality of the heads Confused

I only have the component parts for broadheads, as far as I know if they remain unassembled then I should be ok with the legal aspect, there are some exemptions granted to medieval society practice societies.

Most small animal hunting (rabbits etc) utilise blunts which kill instantly due to the massive shock transmitted.
snow report
Scarpa, yep but you were talking about wild boar and deer, not little fluffy bunny wabbits Laughing

As for the broadheads I think they may fall into the catagory of not being illegal to posess but not legal to use though I'm far from certain on this
snow report
I went past a field full of deer today, I didn't see any snowHead lurking anywhere so you must have all been well camouflaged Shocked
snow report
D G Orf, Thats how it appears. A bow has to be tuned in for broadheads on a target, so anyone who bowhunts abroad would have a damn good legal excuse to destroy a few targets on private land. It is the hunting that is illegal in the UK. Saying that - it would probably take a newcomer about 5 years of practice to get good enough to actually stalk within 25m or so of a large wild animal.
DEFRA are currently attempting to lower restrictions on deer hunting - ie smaller calibers on small species, night culling etc in an attempt to manage the current overpopulation. Bring back wolves and lynx is what I say.

Judo points are pretty good - blunt metal heads with spring loaded arms to catch in grass - used for field practice a lot but also very efficient at killing small game.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
Saying that - it would probably take a newcomer about 5 years of practice to get good enough to actually stalk within 25m or so of a large wild animal.

The ones I mentioned a post or 2 back were stood there large as life about 5m from a main road, they used to breed them and ship them oop north for hunting a few years ago, I'm not sure if they still do. http://www.grimsthorpe.co.uk/index.php?view=19
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy