Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The effect of the Lunar Cycle on Snowfall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are few snowheads out there who talk meteorology speak. Maybe some of you can help.

I have heard that precipitation is linked to the lunar cycle like tides are. Although one can not predict, can an indication be determined of when snowfall is likely or less likely from the different phases of the moon.

For example snow tends to fall in January in one of the last two weeks. Is that because there is normally a full moon at he beginning of February?

I welcome any help. Thanks ....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
B00thy, I don't know about any correlation of weather with the lunar cycle, but a full moon at the beginning of February is no more common than at any other time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The full moon encourages the night time rampaging of one abominable snowman, or Yeti. This mythical creature carries a spirtual effect over the weather systems causing much unrest, transcending generally as precipitation and snow.

Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, your pulling my strings !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the French seem to think quite a lot of the moon theory.... it crops up quite a bit on the meteo thread on skipass.com. I have no idea whether they are right - I have always suspected not. It seems highly improbable that variation in the relationship between the sun's gravitational pull and the moon's (which is what causes the tidal cycle of springs and neaps) has any bearing on snowfall. If it does it would also influence rainfall, surely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, the reason for me starting this thread is that an Austrian guide I know insists both rainfall and snowfall are influenced by the gravitational effects of the moon. Googling with precipitation, moon, lunar etc, I found weather sites in the U.S. referring to the lunar cycle.

Interesting to hear that Meteo also favours the theory. I'm off to ask the BBC ....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
B00thy, not Meteo France! The meteo thread on the skipass.com forum, which is like a French equivalent of snowheads. The moon theory is advanced by some writers, but not given credence by many of the people who understand meteorology, or seem to.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The moon does have some effect on the weather but I've never been sure of how much, certainly you often notice changes of weather patterns that coincide with changes in the state of the moon
latest report
 brian
brian
I very, very much doubt there's anything in it. The spring/neap tide cycle only takes 14 days. I'm sure we can all think of examples where it's snowed non-stop for 7 days or been dry for 7 days or whatever. Or for that matter, where the same weather system has brought rain for several days to different regions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
B00thy wrote:
I know there are few snowheads out there who talk meteorology speak. Maybe some of you can help.

I have heard that precipitation is linked to the lunar cycle like tides are. Although one can not predict, can an indication be determined of when snowfall is likely or less likely from the different phases of the moon.

For example snow tends to fall in January in one of the last two weeks. Is that because there is normally a full moon at he beginning of February?

I welcome any help. Thanks ....

Interesting idea.

Can you dig up any stats to confirm or deny this theory? For example, snowfall is roughly xx% higher (or lower) during a full moon than a partial moon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

you often notice changes of weather patterns that coincide with changes in the state of the moon

well, given that the state of the moon changes all the time, that's hardly surprising. Even if you go for the traditional "quarters" that's every 7 days. If there weren't any changes that didn't coincide with the same changes in the moon's phase, that would be more significant.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the phases of the moon affecting snowfall if news to me........................and i'm, some would say, obsessed with the phases of the moon, because they dictate when the severn bore happens, which i surf at almost every opportunity Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you listen to the farmers and the locals here they expect snow just after or with the new moon.

we always live in hope that they are right!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a New Zealand weather forecaster that does predict the weather according to the lunar cycles. He does predictions for NZ, Aus and the UK, in NZ some feel he is a total crock while others swear by him. His site is http://www.predictweather.com/.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy