Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two-way radios

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've decided I can no longer afford the costs of texting or phoning to try to find friends on the mountain.
Two-way radio seems like a solution - I can get a set of 2 fairly cheaply, but they only have a 3km range.
Will I find them of any practical use or do you really need to consider radio with a longer range?
Anyone got a recommendation (and the main object is to save money!)

Hamish
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome Hamish,
We use the Motorola rechargable 2 way radios. Great as long as you have clear line of site, obviously dont work if there is a mountain ridge in the way. Any radio with a greater range and you're looking at VHF, for which you need a licence & training.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hamish, I've used them a couple of times and they are ok if you're all on the same side of the mountain. As soon as someone drops below the other side they are useless and phones are only option IMO.

Due to the limited number of channels you'll also find several people interfering with you!

Just as a general reminder, if you're with 02 they now offer cheaper calls abroad - you have to text a number to get these, info on their website somewhere. I think other providers do as well as they all got slapped by compotition watchdag about high charges.

Alternatively buy a cheap pay as you go sim when there and just use that for week
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hamish, If you have access to Makro this was in my inbox this morning might be worth looking at as state 8km range http://www.makro.co.uk/offers/mm05_2007_bargains_online.cfm?email=17804999
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have a look at these as well

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/product.asp?p=442
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We used them for a two or three years, but found them a bit of a PITA eventually - always going off in lessons and the like. Plus as the kids have got older, separation anxiety isn't what it used to be.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hamish, Very much depends on the resort. As long as you understand their limitations they're great.
btw, I'm with Orange and just before I went away they offered me 75 txt messages abroad for £15 - thought that was pretty good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey, I used to ski with some friends back home in Australia and we found them great (within their limitations).

We would travel in a conveoy of 3-4 cars to the snow (about 9 hour drive) and use them the whole way. We would then use them at the resort (both on the snow and in the town centre itself).

Obviously they don't work always (as a result of terrain/interference etc), but we would always have a 'meet you at 11am at such-and-such' type arrangement anyway!

there are a few let downs (as others in this forum have mentioned) but they do have some usefulness!

Over and out big buddy.....(crackle crackle)

A
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hamish, We use Motorola talkabouts, range of 6km, they worked fine for us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plus you can have interesting and rewarding conversations with your teenage kids who are riding on a different lift chair as follows:

"Wing Commander Bong to Field Marshal Ming, come in Ming - Bong over"

"Field Marshal Ming to Wing commander Bong, receiving, go ahead Bong - Ming over"

"er, Field Marshal Ming, is Able Seaman Mong present and accounted for? - Bong Over"

"Negative Bong, Mong not with me, - Ming over"

<breaks>

"Corporal Ding to Wing Commander Bong and Field Marshall Ming, Able Seaman Mong is sat next to me, - Ding over"

"Good show Ding, don't want to leave anyone behind. - Bong out".

Hours of fun for all, God knows what the french sat next to us thought Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good for calling down someone through a sticky patch... or go left for a great line, avoid those rocks below you....thats sort of thing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
also ideal if you're trying to shoot a mini movie
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Hamish,
Just come back from Colorado (Winter Park & Copper Mountain) and picked up a pair of rechargable Motorola (T6500's) 2 way radios for $100 (£80-£90 over here!).They worked fine. However, personally, I would be wary of cheap brands and "kids stocking filler models".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the suggestion everyone - gives me food for thought.
I have a basic pay as you go with O2(I have no need of anything else - nobody really wants to talk to me Confused ) , but txting/calling from abroad is prohibitively expensive (ie 50p/txt - and I'm used to making £10 of credit last 3-4 months Shocked )
I'm just looking for a nice cheap way of making contact if people get separated, and trying to type on a mobile phone keypad when it's cold is a bit of a PITA.
To be honest, anything more than £25 quid for a couple of radios would probably be more than my budget.
Cheers
Hamish
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These should do the trick, £25.
latest report
Im thinking about doing the same thing myself. However, this may sound like a silly question but we need 4, so would it be easier to buy 4 at once or would it be fine just to buy two lots of two (different models). will this work properly?
ski holidays
We were a large group with quite a few kids and the radios proved invaluable, pick me up, meet me, has anyone seen little Jonny etc.
As above, as long as you are all on the same side of the mountain you can communicate.
We were all using different makes at the full range of costs all with a good range of available channels selectable, so found a quiet channel and used the same one all week. Managed at one stage to get comms from top of mountain to bottom of cable car in village below.
Radios advertising longer range are only longer range for line of sight, this means when there is nothing in the way, so the shorter range radios are just as good as the more expensive radios as when you put a mountain in the way, nothing is getting through.
Good fun too.
latest report
the ones I was talking about in Australia were a pair that we initially bought to try the out plus another pair (same model I think) that we added to the mix PLUS another couple of random other brands - think you need to check that they work on the same cahnnel/frequency etc.
snow report
AxsMan, Did you write the script for Airplane?. Roger, Over, Under, and Out Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Surely you can't be serious? .... Laughing
latest report
Very subtle Laughing
ski holidays
So what's the best way to use them when out on the slopes. In a pocket? Hands-free headset? In a holder?

I would imagine a holder on the upper arm would work well but make you stand out somewhat. I suppose a headset would be the best way if you don't want everybody to look at you when you use it in the lift queue.

I also wonder about equipping my kids with them. I worry they will put them down and leave them somewhere.
ski holidays
Sutts, The north American versions use different frequencies and are illegal to use in the UK. I think they're illegal in Europe as well. I think the frequencies are used by the aircraft.
UK (and European) models are illegal to use in North America.

IIRC broadcasting on unauthorised frequencies is a criminal, not civil, offence.
latest report
nessy wrote:
So what's the best way to use them when out on the slopes. In a pocket? Hands-free headset? In a holder?

I haven't used them, but in Neiderau last month, SuperEagle and Chucky had a pair, which they kept in holders attached to the straps of their daysacs.

I didn't notice what brand they were, but as others have said, they seemed to work reasonably well so long as they were both on the same side of the mountain, but not when there was a lump of rock in the way.
latest report
Got four from Argos for about £80, 8Km range. Fine when on slopes, but put one person back in the appartment or in a bar and not so clever. we kept them in pocket and used the call function. No crossed wires as over 300 channels.
snow conditions
AxsMan,
Quote:

Surely you can't be serious? ....

I am, and don't call me Shirley. Laughing

Roger the Dog.
ski holidays
I keep it on a hook on my rucksack
latest report
Tomsk, Yes, I am aware of this. As I seem to ski mostly in the U.S , I did buy these for this specific reason.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine clips to the rucksack strap making it easy to hear and answer without fumbling in pockets. hasn't come off yet despite the odd tumble Embarassed (I did put a ski-brake elastic around the clip to be sure).

Wing Commander Bong Out. snowHead
ski holidays
I always thought it better to keep it in a pocket to preserve the battery life by keeping it out of the cold / wind ? Is this not really necessary then ?
snow report
masmith, Our motorollas seem to last all day fine, in or out of pocket. Determining factor seems to be how much 'chatting' you do. snowHead
latest report
AxsMan, How many toffee vodkas to you need to transmutate into Wing Commander Bong? Shocked
snow report
Use a cell phone.

Two-way radios are for losers.

They make you look like a 10-year-old playing hide-and-seek.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Use a cell phone.
Two-way radios are for losers.
They make you look like a 10-year-old playing hide-and-seek.

Radios are free to use
Mobiles are somewhat expensive to use when overseas.
Simple economics says use radios.

So I may be a 10 yr old hiding/seeking loser, but my bank balance will appreciate it.

Gotta lurve antagonistics Yankees Toofy Grin
latest report
bev bish, I'm a lightweight*, just a couple and I'll treat the radio like a karaoke mic ! Laughing

Whitegold, If I worried what I looked like, I would have a lot more to put right than radios. Don't let vanity spoil a good wheeze, that also saves you a fortune. NehNeh Laughing

*when it comes to alcohol. I'm actually a heavyweight when it comes to er, weight Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
kermit, Nail on head! snowHead
ski holidays
Dixons do some for about £25, they'll probably have them at the airport.

I've had mine for about 6 years and they still work fine. One of the most useful things i've ever bought and a lot less hassle than a phone.At £25 it doesn't matter too much if you drop one off the chairlift ,and a replacement will probably still communicate with the old one.

As for range I've used them up to 10miles from the summit of Snowdon. Some friends managed to pick up a clear signal with theirs from a motorcyle rider in Carlisle, from the top of Cross Fell - probably 20 miles !

Obviously they won't bend far around obstacles.
snow conditions
ive used them and they worked ok.. but charging all 4 of them up every night was a pain the butt.. texting on mobiles is so much easier
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, You should worry, we take 6 with us Shocked .

(so I take 3 double chargers as well and just drop 'em in when we get back from the slopes - simple Very Happy )
snow report
I've got some Motorola's with a 5km range. Worked far better than i expected them to and were well worth the cash. A super buy.

We had some people at the bottom in the bar talking to people right at the top of the resort. Great coverage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy