Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SLIDE Trade Show

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today was the last day of the 3 day SLIDE trade show at G-Mex in Manchester. Due to work committments I could only be there for about 3 hours so just had time for a quick whizz round (the show is about the same size as the B'ham public show) before meeting a few of my current suppliers & a few potential ones.

I won't bore you with the geeky tuning gear I was sussing out so anyone who's interested in the new high-end digital waxing irons for flouro waxes or sensibly priced DIY base repair/welding tool will have to PM me.

The most obvious thing at the show was the competitiveness of the snowsports clothing market. Virtually every manufacturer was there (except Spyder rolling eyes) & I guess that clothing took in excess of 50% of the show space - yet it's extremely difficult for the average recreational skier/boarder to differentiate between the products. I certainly wouldn't want to be a buyer trying to select winners a year in advance with such a choice of tech features, styles, colours & sizes etc.

A new clothing range to the UK is the '540' range of technical gear from New Zealand that's imported by our very own kiwi1 which looks to be great kit. See http://junkigear.com

Also in the autumn look out for Schoffel's new 'Vincent' shell jacket with a clip-in/out breathable liner/fleece. It's a high end technical garment at a high end price (retail circa £370) but it look like it ticks all the boxes.

All the leading ski brands were present but I just didn't have a chance to go round all the stands. What I did see looked mostly like the 'same old same old' but with new graphics. The new Volkl Katana's did look pretty good.

Surprisingly I did have a few minutes spare to have a look at Atomic's 07/08 offering. My beloved Metron B5 will be back unchanged yet again to head up the Metron range albeit with new graphics & a B5i nomenclure. The star of the show was definately Atomic's new Nomad range of all mountain skis, especially the top of the range 'Crimson' model. They won't be in the UK until the autumn but with a bit of luck I might be on a pair in mid March wink.

New to the UK ski market is the Icelantic range of skis which are also imported by kiwi1. Wide, on the stiff side & designed to be skied short they're really quite different, including the graphics which are waaay different from any other manufacturer. Handmade in Colorado with wooden cores they'll be available for testing at the EoSB so plenty of snowHeads will be able to try them. If they ski as well as they look they'll do very well indeed so long as people test them with a genuine open mind re their short length - although Atomic soon conquered that with their Metron range so hopefully that will be less of a problem. kiwi1's also distributing the Vist range of interchangeable bindings & mounting plates which are superb pieces of engineering & look to be the ideal solution for UK punters looking to travel with multiple skis & limited airline weight allowances.

Here's one for the snowhead chalet owners out there who like gadgets: Check-out the 'Skizmo' ski boot remover on http://www.airborneproducts.com

And one for JT & GrahamN: Check-out Black Diamond's new Revelation ski touring/ski mountaineering backpacks in both 35L & 45L which look very impressive, especially how well they compressed when not full.

As a final note, what was interesting is that virtually every manufacturer & distributor I spoke to were aware of snowHeads so as a collective we probably carry more sway in the marketplace than we realise.

BTW, if anyone reading the above thinks that I'm so shallow to have been deliberately selective in the products I've mentioned above just to try & score some freebies then they'd be absoltuely right wink.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there as well today. Star of the show for me were the new Marker freeride bindings... just fantastic, Fritschi eat your heart out.

Quote:

Virtually every manufacturer was there (except Spyder )
They concentrate on getting buyers out to ISPO and into their showroom. Makes more financial sense IMO.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, I've mounted a few pairs of Fritschi bindings & they did seem pretty flimsy.

Did you see the Black Diamond telemark bindings with the various strength gas struts? I don't know anything about telemark bindings but the idea seemed neat.

Re Spyder. Unfortunately the UK distributors/retailers buy all the wrong products wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Bode Swiller, missed you both, i was there Sunday / Monday

definately a few nice toys but i don't think i saw the next big thing Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Bode Swiller, I've mounted a few pairs of Fritschi bindings & they did seem pretty flimsy.

The Marker was the opposite. Lightweight but closed with the clunk of a Mercedes S Class door. 240 squid though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the write up Jon. It was a pleasure meeting you. Looking forward to seeing snowheads on the Icelantic skis at the EoSB. I've also managed to get one of the Icelantic team riders to tag along to put them through their paces.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My tip for 2007/8 is the hammer helmets. Not sure if anyone saw them, they are being distributed by www.tradefusion.co.uk and were shown for the first time at Slide. The helmets are made in Italy and the cool designs are created by a dip print method. I actually bought the Kevlar border cross H2 at the show, it’s the second Hammer Helmet I own and personally wouldn’t buy anything else. I have been looking around and there isn’t much info about them on the net as it is the first time they have been properly distributed yet but I reckon they could be very popular next winter if they get the right exposure. Prices seem to range between £100 and £150.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

The Marker was the opposite. Lightweight but closed with the clunk of a Mercedes S Class door. 240 squid though.

Some guys I was with last week absolutely raved about the Marker binding having seen it in Munich. Light, strong and I believe fairly flush with the top sheet, as opposed to the high position of the Fritschi. Not available for a year apparently.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiwi1 wrote:
My tip for 2007/8 is the hammer helmets.

Yep, I remember them. The 'fighter pilot' style with the pivotting visor was really cool. Would also be great for spectacle wearers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
The 'fighter pilot' style with the pivotting visor was really cool.

Oh God - don't tell Rutschen! If it came with a heads-up display too, I'm doomed!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In defence of Fritschis, I've had more problems with Atomic bindings than Fritschis in a number of years. The Marker binding certainly looks interesting but the truth will come out once it gets some proper use. It's not like Marker enjoy a stellar reputation in the Freeride area at the moment. It certainly doesn't look like something you'd want to tour on for long - the heel lift mechanism definitely looks inferior to Fritschi's (and probably Naxo's but I'm not so familiar with them).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy