Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I dreadful? - An embarassing tale

Poster: A snowHead
I think this probably belongs on 'the piste' and I promise I wasn't at the time. I was highly embarassed. What I need to know is this an unforgivable sin?.........

So I goes down to the dark basement by myself, no kids, dark glasses on ready to go outside once I've grabbed my ski's so I just grab my ski's without flicking the light switch and am off. Nip out for my lesson and have all sorts of problems - can't stay on my feet 5 minutes and keep tripping over. I'm down at the bottom of the lift yet again and look down - then it slowly dawns on me - I've got yellow ski's on, but they're sure as anything not the ones I was given in the hire shop!!

Immediately I realise several things 1. This is potentially dangerous - these binding were not set for me, 2. I could be potentially wrecking someones pride and joy's and 3. What if someone is looking for them at this moment?

However, I then hit a language barrier with my instructor and I'm sure he didn't fully understand what I was trying get through to him - I even tried claiming that they were my kids ski's, but I still don't know if that worked. Although he did tell me to get some longer skis the next day!!

Anyhow, I took them directly back after my lesson, and was just leaving the basement when another family arrived - their teenager looked up and down the racks of predominately dry skis and then discovers ones that look like hers wet and snowy. I tentatively enquire if they are hers - yes (oh...no...thinks I, but luckily they had not missed them whilst I had my lesson), so I try to describe what I've done with huge apologies and embarassment and mum seems to immediately comprehend and indicates that she is not annoyed. Luckily I don't see them the rest of the week!!

So much for me asking before I went about the sizing of bindings and boots and can you fit other skis than your own.

The thing is if it had been your ski's would you have been outraged - I can't think of a worse thing to have done Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed - or did I just get away lightly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thats outrageous Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its a bit like one of these dreams you have when you're on the train and you suddenly realise you are not wearing your trousers..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes, you probably did! We went on a family holiday once, years ago. All hired skis. My husband faffed around endlessly insisting on putting various combinations of coloured electrical tape on the skis so everyone knew which were theirs, though the kids insisted they'd remember. He was the only one who picked up the wrong skis - twice in the week. If your boots fitted into the foreign skis, that was because the girl had the same length boots. Lots of hire skis are the same - they have numbers on, and you need to memorise yours! Or faff around with electrical tape.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At least you were honest, so that redeems you.
as to would I forgive you if it were my skis . . . .

if you are blonde, brunette or a red head- Yes wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 friends of mine did similar once, they'd hired identical skis but had slightly different length boots. Of course one morning they managed to swap them over and 1 of them spent the day having great trouble clipping into them and the other kept falling out of hers every time she made a turn. Laughing rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FenlandSkier, your skis are easily confused for someone else's!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, Toofy Grin Is that why you've changed to Missions this year?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FenlandSkier, if I'd managed to clip in to your bindings then that would have been the last you'd have seen of em.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did that after lunch one day in Canada. Somehow picked up a pair that fitted me just fine. Did two lifts, some off piste and then, for some reason, looked down half an hour later to see totally strange skis Shocked

Raced back to the bar to find an English guy berating his missus for being p1ssed and incompetent. Putting some non-melting butter in my mouth, I said "Are these yours? They were just over here...", beating a hasty retreat before she "sobered up". She was so grateful for my help when her own hubbie was being so unfair Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sproggski, that does make me feel loads better about it - thanks - at least I'm not unique in doing something like that
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, All this could have been avoided if you had taken some SnowHeads stickers
EDIT: Another good reason to swap a ski at all stops.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, I guess so, but wouldn't it have been a bit naughty to still them onto hire ski's? I did however smother the 3 silver helmets with different combinations and I don't think they got muddled all week!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, My friend K. and I finished lunch in a mountain restaurant in La Plagne, went outside to get our skis and she found hers were gone... We sat about for a while on the terrace, hoping someone would return them, until it was almost lift-closing time...so some French people who were around and who'd heard about K's misfortune suggested she take the last pair of skis that were still left by the restaurant. So-- feeling rather guilty-- but having no other way to ski down the piste to our hotel--SHE TOOK SOMEONE ELSE'S SKIS ALSO-- and has skied happily ever after on them!

So-- What is the moral of this story?? Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Megamum, My son ended up with a smaller helmet (got swapped in ski school) he kept complaining it was too tight! so this time we put stickers on all the skis and helmets, and picked them all off before we returned them! Very Happy
ski holidays
Our schoolkids do this sort of thing all the time. I had one once come back in for lunch complaining that his boots were uncomfortable. This was not surprising, considering that they were:

1. of two different sizes
2. neither of them his
3. on the wrong feet

He had to wear the group silly hat all next day for his efforts.
latest report
Megamum, Our incident happened in the Dolomites last week. One of the most experienced skiers in the party (3 or 4 times a year) accidently took the wrong indentical skis which were next to each other whilst we were at a mountain restaurant.

I shall shorten a very long story. He realised he had wrong skis after about 20 minutes of skiing. We all decided to go back up to restaurant with him. Unfortunately lost him as he was almost last on the very long chair lift and by then could'nt even get skis into bindings. Luckily he was left with another very experienced skier in our party, but by then we had lost them and did'nt know what the problem was. He then stayed at bottom whilst our friend took his skis back up to restaurant, but got stopped on the way by plain clothed cabineri (by this time he was exhausted with heavy skis on shoulder and 4 poles). They told him "you are in serious trouble". As he did'nt have any i.d on him they made him ski with them all the way back to the hotel in Selva to show his passport. Then it was back up (skis on shoulder again) with police either side back up to restaurant. Other skis could'nt be found. Anyway his story was believed as he had mentioned what he was doing to a lift attendant. Story still went on in the evening as the friend who had the wrong skis had to go the police station where the other people were whos skis he had taken. They were in the most trouble with the police as when they realised at the restaurant what had happened, they took his skis anyway. Then they locked them in their car and were not going to let him have them back until police intervened.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 21-02-07 10:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oh yes forgot. It get's worse! The people who's skis he took were having their last ski of the day and then nice lunch as they were about to drive home to Germany. SoMegamum, don't feel bad, it could have been a whole lot worse!
snow report
Someone much shorter than me went off with my ski's and poles when we stopped for lunch in Zell last year, after much hunting, we found another pair which were of the same make but shorter ( from memory mine were head 180 and these were Head 150) it was the poles which were funny, they were tiny, luckily the hire shop changed it all over for me quite quickly.

From that point on, if we stop anywhere My girlfriend and I swap one ski each and put them together and stand the pairs apart, makes it much easier to find our own skis and less likely someone else would take either pair by mistake.
snow report
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=48161&highlight=franz+klammer
ski holidays
I'm just off out to find a ski lock. wink
snow report
This is the main reason I use ski locks for the family skis. We have already been saved from the impact of a numbskull who was about to take my son's skis because "Oh they'll be ours; they're yellow". rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-02-07 13:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jtr, hellfiresliding, brilliant idea-- I'm getting a lock too!

Christina1, what a horror story! Actually, after the experience with my friend K's "ski-swap"-- I would never leave my skis outside restaurants in a crowd of skis--I usually trudge around to find a more solitary side of the building.

I just remembered another incident , we were skiing the Valee Blanche some years ago--a group of us with a guide. We had stopped at a mountain refuge, and as I looked a bit tired after lunch (needing a siesta!) the guide grabbed my skis, intending to be helpful--- but luckily I spotted that they weren't mine! Hate to think what would have happened if I'd tried to ski the rest of the trip with the wrong skis...even with my own I was exhausted! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Had the same experience - went to retrieve skis from bootroom for kids lesson in 20 mins to find that someone had taken our rented skis and left a much longer pair instead. What a hassle to trail back to the rental shop - hire another set of skis - get them set for the boots and still make the lesson and then take them back at the end of the day.

What made it worse was the shrug of the shoulders i got when i confronted the culprit with my invoice showing that they had taken my skis.......

The moral of the story is - apply sticky labels to each ski/helmet/boot etc with kids/adults name - our ski rental shop supplies these FOC and has indelible marker pen for you to use.
Get a cheap cable lock and pass it through one of the skis from each person in the group. Its just not worth the hassle of coming back to find wrong skis or skis gone for 30 seconds of effort. If you want to be really retentive about it - take a photo at the start of your hols - showing how you lock your skis. Much easier with insurance company if you can prove that you've taken every reasonable care.
snow report
I don't really use lockers/boot rooms in the way you are all describing, my skis get locked into the rack on the top ofthe car, however, when I go to a restaurant or something, I always split the skis up so that one of mine is with one of my wife's and the kids are mixed up too.

Faced with this situation:

ropetow wrote:

What made it worse was the shrug of the shoulders i got when i confronted the culprit with my invoice showing that they had taken my skis.......
I might have considered "borrowing" his skis for a day to see how he felt..
ski holidays
DB wrote:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=48161&highlight=franz+klammer
A fantastic tale snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Yeah, awesome - I bet he covered that sticker with something to preserve it for posterity. On the back of that report and the others above, I feel quite mollified. It's as though I've joined and exclusive club of 'ski swappers' frequented by Franz and others. Mind you is a 'Klammer' sticker the ulitimate 'must have' on your skis or would snowHead 's rather have one saying 'as 'borrowed' by Frosty the Snowman, '!!
snow report
Awesome story lol!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Mind you is a 'Klammer' sticker the ulitimate 'must have' on your skis or would snowHead 's rather have one saying 'as 'borrowed' by [b]Frosty the Snowman, '!!

No contest really ... people only mention Klammer once-a-week on these threads while FTS is just a ... legend snowHead wink
ski holidays
Leg End more like it Embarassed
snow conditions
I always use a lock - mainly to stop some muppet inadvertently stealing my skis rather than to stop a determined thief.
snow report
my wife had her rental skis taken twice last year outside of a restaraunt and both times we spent an hour looking around, then had to go to shop to get new ones.

on each occasion they turned up outside the restaurant the next day, so much hassle and never an apology or note or anything, how hard is it to remember the rental number or mark your rental skis Confused Confused ....

not only is it dangerous but very inconsiderate. I always teach people to look after their skis and mark them if possible. Kids especially always want to "try" their mates skis....

i think you got off lightly and rightly should feel bad, at least that says you care and admit your error and i am assuming wont let it happen again. you wouldnt be too happy if you or your kids swapped skis with a similar pair with a wrong DIN setting then did a knee in....... consider it a valuable lesson and hopefully some people reading this thread will remember how important DIN and boot size setting is important on rental skis.
ski holidays
Friends looked at me very oddly when I took a photo of the ski shop label (& number) on my skis, until I explained that it was possibly the only way I would be able to identify them if I forgot where I'd left them outside a restaurant (first shot on the camera - easy to find for reference, if it had come to that).

Fortunately, because I'd chosen a not very well-stocked ski, there weren't many of them on the mountain. But I saw at least a dozen pairs a day of the ones my friend was skiing in, which threw us a few times, when we knew we'd put our skis next to each other. Caused one or two hot-and-cold moments.
snow report
clara_jo, good idea on taking a photo Smile
ski holidays
Caspar wrote:
I always use a lock - mainly to stop some muppet inadvertently stealing my skis rather than to stop a determined thief.
Do we know each other casper fella?
snow report
I always ski with Caspar and let him carry the lock Very Happy
snow conditions
lol
latest report
The other week I went off with a German girls boots and skied on them all day without noticing ... just thought they had warmed up a bit cos they were a lot softer and that there were some new adjustable bits and bobs on them that I hadn't noticed before.

She however couldn't use mine and spent hours (apparently) looking for a pair to fit her and as she was leaving that night took mine back to Germany with her as hostages to make sure I sent hers back to her !!

In our subsequent emails she blamed the apres .. clever girl !!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy