Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French supermarket petrol

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of the French supermarkets are upgrading their 24h petrol pumps to ones that will work with UK Chip and Pin cards.

I was able to use the ones at the Carrefour in Cluses with my credit card. The same type of pump were at the Sallanches Carrefour and the E.Leclerc supermarkets in Boulogne and at the Thennelières autoroute exit near Troyes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs

Your post explains why I wasn't able to use the pump machines recently. I was returning a hire car at Grenoble airport and needed to fill it up before taking it back. Missed the pump at the peage on the main road (I saw the signs for petrol but was expecting a full blown service station rather than a single pump). Anyway thought I would be able to find a petrol station in one of the surrounding towns. Eventually tracked one down but it was Sunday afternoon and forgot that everything shut down on Sunday afternoons including the petrol station kiosks. Anyway no problem I thought as I can use my credit card in the machine, but it wouldn't accept any of our cards.

Luckily there was a very helpful lady at the Hertz desk at Grenoble. She managed to find us a cheaper rate for refuelling the car which meant we were not too much out of pocket. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Before now I have had to do deals with helpful French motorists and their credit cards to get fuel at these un-manned pumps. Since we can't even manage the Euro, I suppose I can't complain.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think it is just UK chip and pin they are adopting - my understanding is that the French were one of the first countries to introduce a chip and pin system, but it was a French system for French cards. Now all of Europe has adopted a similar standard, many of the French terminals are out of date. They are now updating to join the rest of Europe.

I used C&P in several garages this year and it worked fine
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think its because the Frenchies use a six figure pin. we managed , with a great amount of skill ,to crash the computer at a paybooth in a supermarket in Reims. Ended up with a queue of about 20 cars behind us, no cash in our wallets, no-one else able to pay as computer crashed.
Eventually we were 'FROG' marched to a cashpoint, then told to go away , rather rudely , by the forcourt manager.
To make it even worse. the card used was a Euro bank account, company credit card.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dupes wrote:
I think its because the Frenchies use a six figure pin

4 figure.

This thread reminds me of a friends barclaycard that used to shut down German cashpoints (circa 1989) after spitting the card back out. He would have great fun doing the rounds of the half dozen cashpoints in Munich city center early on a Saturday morning. If you remember the limited shop opening times in Germany and their love of wonga you can imagine the chaos this could cause.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dupes,

Defo 4 figures pin..

I'm french, 33 yr old, and have used chip & pin since I was old enough to have a bank account. So I think Boris post makes great sense and seem to be the logical explanation.

My first UK chipped card did not work in France even in shops, supermarkets or restaurants.

Looks like the "standards" were not not quite lining up.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have found on two Occaisions recently in different towns that Carrefour pumps wont even accept the local folks cards, let alone my French OR English cards Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy