Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning curve for beginner boarding

Poster: A snowHead
Been skiing for 23 years, thinking of taking some boarding lessons..

I haven't before because I have just not been able to bring myself to "waste" snow time on my rear when I know I can be shushing about on my planks.

What is the lead time from beginner to "getting down the mountain" standard for someone like me?

What are the differences between skiing and boarding anyway? As a mountain bimbler approaching my forties, is there anything in this apart from the pure pleasure of learning somethig new? Does it add something to my armourery that I am currently missing?

The other consideration is telemark style..

Learning both would complete the set as I can ski classic and skating style (from my army days) and have had them out for pleasure in recent years for a quiet bimble..

ignore the last paragraph, I'm waffling to myself - old age
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
professorpool, it can be as little as a couple of days . . . it could also be an eternity of pain and misery, it's down to you and how well you communicate with your body.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It took me one two-hour lesson and two days of about two hours each to get to the stage where I could get down blue runs. I've done about 10-12 days (or half-days really) since and can board blues competently, do greens with a degree of style, and get on and off chairs and drags (though I do fall off at the top quite often).

Resist the temptation in the first few days to get back on your skis - you'll get the hang of it in just a minute and it's great fun when you do. Also invest in wristguards and a helmet - you will fall on your hands constantly in the first few days, and when you catch a heel edge you will go over like a felled tree and smack the back of your head on the piste. (Note 'when' not 'if'.) I don't have a helmet as yet, but I think I shall purchase one for next season.

Don't use your nice expensive ski golves for boarding - you will trash them and they probably won't fit over your wrist guards anyway.

Finally, pick a quiet low-season week in which to learn. I have binned the board for skis in 2Alpes this week, because I can't cope with the traffic.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One two hour lesson????

Thats sounds more like it!!

I can do that..

What kind of things do you now experience on your board you didn't/wouldn't/couldn't before?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll echo Lizzard, on this one. I've spent a couple of afternoons strapped to a snowboard, and can just about negotiate Green runs.

For me, the single hardest thing to pick-up was getting around on the flat (scooting around with one foot in, one foot out) - so it's worth practicing this a bit before you go up a hill. Also lifts ... be prepared to have serious problems on drag lifts ... and as for T-bars, don't even think about it!

The good news is that the actual sliding-down-slopes bit of it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You will fall over (lots) - BUT the learning curve seems a lot steeper and progression quicker on a board than on skis.

As already mentioned, a helmet is a must; wrist guards seem a good idea; and when I do it next I will certainly be investing in some 'padded shorts' (falling on your backside seriously hurts when you've got a bit of speed up).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An athletic individual should be able to negotiate easy blacks in less than 2 weeks.

Just run the board onto its back edge and skid down the trail.

One tray. No poles. No stress.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forgot to mention that there is an excellent beginners guide to snowboarding, written by Masque, at:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23999

Really worth a look, and certainly helped me .... thanks Masque!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I rented a board about 15 years ago in Tignes. Used normal ski boots with it. Took myself up two chair lifts to the top of col de ves area, and boarded down. I wouldn't say it was stylish but I could get down. Flats and straight bits the most difficult. I could skateboard and windsurf at the time which I think helped.

Don't know how different it is with soft boots.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
professorpool, I have been boarding for the best part of 8 years and finally took time out to learn skiing 2 weeks ago. I had 1 2 hour lesson and within 2 days I was skiing reds. I would say not very stylishly or as fast as I can on a board, but with practise I am sure it will come. This now means I am looking to buy some new toys to go in the locker!!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol..

OK thats it then, I'm going to give it a go..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a morning's boarding in Alpe d'Huez, where I was CARVING turns on BOTH EDGES!!! On greens and easy blues, admittedly, but we all have to start somewhere.

professorpool, the board is more fun in slushy conditions, and just generally different from skiing. A lot of the attraction is just in learning something new and developing skill.

Whitegold, you're talking rubbish again aren't you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque has an exceptionally good guide here -

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23999
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
professorpool, an important coupld of factors. How old are you? How fit are you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How old are you? How fit are you?

and how much do you mind making a dick of yourself? Some experienced skiers give up very quickly because of falling around on a nursery slope with the kids. I don't think age and fitness are too crucial at the beginning (I'm old and not super fit) but willingness to look an idiot, and willingness to put up with a fair bit of pain at the outset are very important. Also, some French snowboard instructors are not very good - even I knew I wasn't supposed to be swinging my shoulders round to turn. Have a go at the "Learn to Snowboard in a Day" course at Milton Keynes, after which you will know whether you want to carry on or not without "wasting" scarce time on the real stuff. Being a skateboarder is a HUGE advantage but I'm not sure windsurfing is much help (I can do the latter, but not the former).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I don't think age and fitness are too crucial at the beginning

I respectfully disagree. The sheer number of times you fall and get back up in the first week boarding is the mother of all workouts. I learnt when I was 27 and at the time a pretty good surfer. I honestly doubt if I tried when I was my age (39+1) now I could hack it. The pain every morning when I woke up even then was something else (think, collision with pack of ponies type feeling.)

To be fair then, i think the most importnt consideration is how bad to you want to learn. If you say "lots" then committ a week but dont think an afternoon or a couple of days is cracking it IMHO
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, moaning minnie. It really isn't that bad. (And I'm older than you.)
snow report
Quote:

moaning minnie

Laughing

Actually sorry everyone.

Its really easy, Im just talking it down Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I learnt when I was 27 and at the time a pretty good surfer.

27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And moaning! A mere child. I was 59 and never been on a surfboard in my life, though I used to windsurf many years ago. Totally irrelevant, I suspect. I did find it best not to spend all day at it though (I could hardly move for several days after the whole day at Milton Keynes) and generally avoid bad conditions. When the snow is hard I ski. At the other end of the scale, look at all those brave little 7 year olds giving it a go. It's all about motivation, and pacing yourself. I don't reckon to go down black slopes ever on a snowboard, let alone after 2 weeks. And if your idea of going down a black slope is to sideslip the whole thing, what a waste of time. Mucks up the slope, too. Completely pointless, better to do good turns down a blue slope. Now that I don't fall over all the time, it's not such hard work. However, I think it remains harder work than skiing, if only because of the difficulty of moving on the flat. My 28 year old son (another baby) is a good skier and boarder and reckons to ski for a rest, after a few days on the board. Unless there's lots of powder, then he'll stay on the board till he drops.
latest report
Quote:

27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And moaning! A mere child.

How do you know I wasnt born in a leap year?

Quote:

better to do good turns down a blue slope

wholeheartedly agree.
snow conditions
I'm 38 and pretty fit relatively I guess, though not as fit as I once was Sad
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

How old are you? How fit are you?

and how much do you mind making a dick of yourself?

Not a bit worried.

Quote:

Some experienced skiers give up very quickly because of falling around on a nursery slope with the kids. I don't think age and fitness are too crucial at the beginning (I'm old and not super fit) but willingness to look an idiot, and willingness to put up with a fair bit of pain at the outset are very important. Also, some French snowboard instructors are not very good - even I knew I wasn't supposed to be swinging my shoulders round to turn. Have a go at the "Learn to Snowboard in a Day" course at Milton Keynes, after which you will know whether you want to carry on or not without "wasting" scarce time on the real stuff. Being a skateboarder is a HUGE advantage but I'm not sure windsurfing is much help (I can do the latter, but not the former).

That is class advice..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy