Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week's skiing in Chamonix. We were a group of 6 including a complete beginner. Started off on a bad, rainy day in the valley but up at the top it was snowing. Snowed all night and part of next day and we had some great snow for most of the week. Seemed quite mild when we left so dont know how the snow will hold out - there was none in the valley when we left and on the journey to the airport it looked like summer!

Beginner had a bad start with Evolution 2 ski school. Went without him on first day and then second day only had 15 mins before instructor left complaining of a headache!! However he complained - got all his money back and 2 days free lessons. Actually he did really well without them and came down a red on the last day. Resort didn't seem overly busy last week but seemed to be getting busy as we were leaving.

Pluses - good snow, nice restaurants and atmosphere - liked La Tour for a mixed ability group

Minuses - those flippin buses!!! and a dreadful queue at the Flegere Cable Car 45 mins before we got onto it!

However generally a success - roll on Easter when we go to Val d'isere
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Ruthie

Good post.Thinking of going there myself. Was that dreadful queue a one off or did it occur most days?

I believe this week is half term for Paris schools which will explain why it was getting busy as you were leaving.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes, this week and next are the Paris half terms and thus the worst of the entire season in French resorts. But I have encountered awful queues in Chamonix in mid January a few years ago - took ages to buy a lift ticket at Le Tour, then ages again to get on the damned lift.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think as is usual everywhere the earlier you get up to the lifts the better. Flagerre is an old cable car style lift takes around 50 people at a time which sounds a lot but it takes quite while to get up to the top hence the queue is static for some time. Seemed to be a influx of people at 10.30 or 11.00 so avoid those times and also coming back either leave before 3.30 or wait until the very end.

Coming back from there we joined the queue at the top and 45 mins later we were getting on it then you have to wait for the bus back to chamonix centre. All in all that day it took us 1.45 to get back. I would advise hiring a car if you can as this means you dont have that wait for bus and trek back to apartment.

There is of course no queuing system! Basically a push and shove which is very disconcerting if you have young children. La Tour wasnt so bad nor Brevent as they both have gondolas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other thing to be careful of on the Cham buses, is inconsiderate climbing/off piste types who have ice axes and crampons with unprotected points/picks, strapped to their backpacks, at just the right height to take a childs eye out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Suffered from the same lift queues a couple of years ago when it wasn't half term.

Would certainly second Ruthie's recommendation to hire a car. We hired a car and remember thinking it was a good move as the ski areas are a bit strung out and there always seemed to be quite long queues at the bus stops. We were also able to take advantage of the free one day pass at Courmeyer which was included with the Chamonix pass. Obviously didn't realise quite how much it would cost to go through the Mont Blanc tunnel!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
is inconsiderate climbing/off piste types who have ice axes and crampons with unprotected points/picks, strapped to their backpacks, at just the right height to take a childs eye out.

very uncool

when I did a BMC alpine skills course back in err... 1990 the (suitably gruff and Scottish) guide who saw us strap our shiny new ice gear on our packs turned round and said

"put them in the packs lads" when we asked him why he said

"first you can't hurt anyone, second you cant lose them and third you dont look like a tosser showing off your new gear to the tourists"

red faces all round
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster, I think i might be nicking that one. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster wrote:

"put them in the packs lads"

...assuming they fit in the pack. Sometimes it makes more sense to take a smaller pack and strap on the gear on the outside.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy