Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Bags - essential off-piste or an unnecessary load?

Poster: A snowHead
The number of my friends who are carrying an airbag is increasing at a phenomenal rate. However, I know that some people are sceptical of their worth.

A friend of a friend survived an avalanche yesterday, having bought an ABS the day before and having deployed it. One of his two other companions was killed (not wearing a bag).

However there is an argument that carrying ABS might make people complacent. Or folks will "freeze" and not pull the handle, or that deploying in a rocky area increases the chance of being swept into rocks.

What does the panel think?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
B00thy,

Soon I think some guides offices will not take clients without one..which atm means more rental business.
I would hope that doesn't drive the schools use of them...

All your other points are valid...I'd say...so am not sure what to think...

My friend brought one a few weeks ago but can't travel on a plane with it atm... which means we go by car
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, you can travel with the bag but you can not take the cannister (and if the handle is charged, the handle either) because of the compressed gas.

So unless you can store your bag in a resort to which you visit regularly or are doing a season, it is a pain
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
B00thy,

Sorry to hear that yet another has perished. Where was the avalanche?

I'd rather be on the surface than burried after hitting rocks so that I get taken to the hospital quicker. Yes some people have failed to pull the cord but the survival rate of those that have pulled it is very high. Nothing gurantees you will survive an avalanche but the stats (albeit from the ABS bag manufacturer) suggest an ABS bag will greatly improve your chances.

http://www.abssystem.com/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, Kaltenburg, on the Albona to Langen route. Dirk, who was caught but survived, suffered a broken leg.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
previous and fairly lengthy discussion here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23379&highlight=abs

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Funny, you cant take it on a plane because of the charged gas bottle but there is a high pressure bottle beneath evey seat attached to a life jacket. Rules is rules
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No idea how they compare but I believe you are allowed to carry CO2 cartridges (including spares) for your own lifejacket, with the airlines permission.
c.f. http://www.rya.org.uk/KnowledgeBase/boatingabroad/flying.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Soon I think some guides offices will not take clients without one

already happened with the guides I used in Engelberg - ABS is compulsory (along with bleep, shovel, probe of course)

J
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Soon I think some guides offices will not take clients without one

already happened with the guides I used in Engelberg - ABS is compulsory (along with bleep, shovel, probe of course)

J

Lots of guided groups with them in Andermatt too plus individuals with much older generation clunky looking ones (box frame). Suspect it will be a Germanic/Scandi country led trend with the French last to adopt.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apparently approved since 2003 for air transport

http://www.abssystem.com/abs-Dateien/main-Dateien/downloads/IATA2003.pdf
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob,

Where are you now..Andermatt...? how did you get on?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Apparently approved since 2003 for air transport

http://www.abssystem.com/abs-Dateien/main-Dateien/downloads/IATA2003.pdf

However the approval of the operator is required. I can see that one going down well with Stelios! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
fatbob,

No UK. Andermatt was good but didn't appear to have had a lot of extra snow in the 2 week gap between visits so we actually went back to Engelberg again and skied off Jochstock most of hte time. A Canadian instructor said that Steinberg was still skiable but not good so we didn't bother. Didn't see anyone on the Laub.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
JT wrote:
fatbob,

No UK. Andermatt was good but didn't appear to have had a lot of extra snow in the 2 week gap between visits so we actually went back to Engelberg again and skied off Jochstock most of hte time. A Canadian instructor said that Steinberg was still skiable but not good so we didn't bother. Didn't see anyone on the Laub.

someone I know set off what sounds like a massive avalanche on the Laub - no-one hurt though
ski holidays
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78383
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy