Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

if you have base burn...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
if you have base burn, does waxing cover it up or can you still see the bas eburn through the wax job?
Just interested...I'm sure I don't have it but I had some mild greying underfoot, which someone suggested was just the base being a bit dry. Waxing it seems to have restored everything to a nice black colour.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I feel that the term 'base burn' is often missused. To me true base burn is what a plastic racer gets when the friction melts the base or what you get if your waxing iron is too hot. That type of damage has to be removed by a belt/stone grind.

The 'greying' that you have is just oxidisation on the base & is a sign of lack of wax. It starts underfoot (cause that's were the pressure's the greatest), beginning at the edges & then works across the base & then towards the tips'n'tails. It's often accompanied by slight fuzziness of the base. To rectify just brass bruss to clean out the structure grooves & then a few passes with a fiberpad to knock down the peaks & the fuzziness. Then hot wax, cool, scrape & brush. If you're ski bases haven't had a clean for a few waxings then hot scrape clean first. Don't use a wax remover as it dries the bases out even more.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
To me true base burn is what a plastic racer gets when the friction melts the base...
and it stinks like crazy when you get to the end of the run.

Was definitely getting there on Sat when trying out my new boots at So'ton - which was incredibly sticky, and needed the skis switching feet after pretty much each run, even with really taking the foot off the gas for the bottom 20m . Even worse than the one time I tried Permasnow Shocked .

Grrrr!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy