Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flims - advice sought please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Might be interested in Flims for 2008.

It has quite a large area and is not too far from Zurich by train. Downside is no Fly/Rail baggage option is available.

Can anybody tell me what the area is like ? Is it well connected by lift - or fragmented ?

I note it is train to Chur then postbus. Is first class on the train worthwhile ?

I am thinking about the Sunstar hotel in the Flims Waldhaus area. Anybody stayed there ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo, I imagine the lack of fly/rail is because the post bus stops directly outside many of the hotels and at the base stations. In any case, there is a direct train from Zurich airport to Chur, then if I'm not mistaken the bus driver will load your luggage so it's not the most arduous of journeys even with luggage (I stand to be corrected as we only ever drive).

IMHO it is pretty well connected by lift - once you're up you can ski to practically any part of the area, none of this having to come down then get a bus to the next bit. There are a couple of really class mountain restos and we think the place has a nice vibe, which is why we're buying there. Conseuqently can't tell you about any of the hotels. Having said that, Flims Waldhaus is not actually particularly near the lifts and you would need to get a bus morning and evening - would suggest you look nearer either of the base stations (Flims Dorf or Laax Murschetg). Alternatively I believe the NTC at both base stations have a depot where you can leave your skis and boots for a couple of CHFs a day

Oh and personally I would never bother with first class on Swiss trains. Ordinary second class is so infinitely superior to first class in the UK and it's only an hour and a half or so
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, I thought there might be more room for luggage in First. I know there are ski racks and luggage areas at the ends of the train carriages but they could fill up. I was once told by a Ski Club rep never to bother with First Class rail to St Moritz because it was just as crowded as Second Class,

I think the Sunstar hotel has a bus to and from the slopes, though I prefer not to rely on hotel buses.

I assume Dorf is the proper centre of Flims with shops, entertainment etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo, no, unless I'm greatly mistaken, the luggage capability is the same in 1st and 2nd - overhead racks and some storage for cases at the end of each carriage. Yes, Dorf is the village centre although it's a bit strung out - though no more so than, say, Val d'Isere I guess. If you're into apres, then first choice would probably be Flims Dorf, 2nd Laax Murschetg. Waldhaus is fairly quiet. One of the nice things is that the shuttle bus runs all through the night so if you do want to sleep somewhere peaceful then go out to party you can.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo, excellent skiing for intermediates, miles and miles of well connected pistes. I prefer Laax Murschetg to Flims Dorf/Waldhaus - the lifts are closer and less crowded. On our last visit, we travelled by car but previously we flew to Zuerich, took the train to Chur and then the Postbus to Laax Murschetg (on an all-in Swiss Transfer Ticket). Don't bother with 1st class, standard class is fine and the properly integrated Swiss transport system works like a dream.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnw, not forgetting that, unlike most European resorts, it has several designated and avalanche-controlled off-piste areas so not just for intermediates
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch, not to mention that interesting black run down the Sattel to Alp Ruschein Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnw, can't say as I've done that yet, not sure the muscle between my ears will let me yet. I always worry when they talk about "for very good skiers only" Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, I've only done it once and then only because we were having a day out with the ski school and I somehow got myself in an advanced group Puzzled .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm off there for the first time on Sunday...three of us staying in Riders Palace in Laax Mur!!! We're all over 40 Shock. I'll report back. The good news is that snow is going to fall from Saturday as it's springlike at the moment and whilst we all like the sun, the snow is what we ski on. We're hiring a car as it was about the same as return train but I did look into the train option and it sounded absolutely fine. Looking forward to it as I like to go 'off the beaten track' and try new places and all the reports I've read are positive for skiers and boarders (one of the group boards). Watch this space w/c 5th March.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikehall58, have a good one snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mikehall58, are you a sociable bunch? We'll catch the tail-end of your week, Fri/Sat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy