Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back from our ski holiday - my (lengthy) report

Poster: A snowHead
And so I’m back from X……more or less in tact, and now we are a family of three on ski’s at various levels of progress. This report is reasonably lengthy and is about our learning process rather than the particular resort we stayed in which I have good reasons for not revealing. If knowing the resort is important to you then please understand that I will not post this in this report.

Firstly those boots………………I wore them all week and not a rub, pressure point or cold feet in sight. I was surprised at how much the lining squished, but shouldn’t have been as you all warned me that this would happen. My instructor showed me that they were not tight enough after a couple of days and sorted me out.

In terms of snow availability I hope the rest of you did as we were able to and skied in your chosen resort all week. However, I don’t think we once skied on what you might call good snow – apart from my son at ski school all of our skiing was done on the blue practice piste. The resort had made some machine snow and added to this with JCB bucket fulls at various intervals throughout the week….

Saturday

We arrived exceptionally early and were in resort by 10:30. There was still some well worn snow on the blue practice piste – though getting very thin, but it was bright and sunny so we dumped the gear and headed off to the hire shop. Boots and skis for 7 & 4 yr olds – daughter and son respectively, and ski’s for me. I’m sure I got the same sort as last year, but I checked them out and can say that they were Vokl Vertigo G3’s 156cm (I am 174cm) – this will probably mean a lot more to many of you than to me. The hire lady tried to persuade me to take a longer ski, but her husband (who is the mountain boss) advised that I would be better off with the Vertigo’s especially as I expressed a preference for the shorter ski, and I think he remembered me from last year!! My daughter went straight to the blue practice piste with the button lift, but had initial over confidence and fell several times somewhat denting her determination. So I packed her off to the baby lift for a few times and this seemed to work – she was back on the button in no time and went from strength to strength. I worked on the button and managed to slither down a few times with best snowplough technique to try and get my skiing legs back, but no sleep the night before with the drive there meant that there was no real determination in me. DH slithered my son about, but no work on the baby lift.

Sunday

Still no new snow – getting very thin now. Also very cold at night so it had a very icy surface and no depth below to get the ski edge into. Overcast most of the day so it didn’t get too warm, but not easy to ski on. I worked hard and managed to get the snowplough turns coming a little more parallel. All that exercise on the legs seemed to have been exactly what I needed, I had far more power to work the ski’s and actually discovered these edges that you all told me about. My daughter – well, lets just say she got her monies-worth out of the button lift pass!! Didn’t stop all day, and my son did some more sliding, but still could not be persuaded onto the baby lift – getting worried here.

Monday

Morning - son and daughter in ski school – son at the ski-garden level, daughter learning at Ski Princess level. daughter – fine and surprisingly my son stayed put the whole 2 hr lesson by himself and no crying or wanting ‘mummy’ – progress! However, in the afternoon it started to mist with warm rain and then started to become a bit more persistent, very soon all the snow that they had went translucent and turned to slush – I had my first private lesson and was told that I had made good progress on last year and that the parallel turn was coming. All that practice the day before I think and my re-defined legs!! In the evening it got VERY cold…….

Tuesday

So, with no hint of exaggeration, we wake up to a stiff icy wind which is bowing icing bits against unprotected skin – yuck, and a piste which resembles an inclined ice skating rink – I’ve been to ski resorts in the past and I’ve never seen anything like it – I should think it was 80%+ ice and very little free snow on top. Absolutely horrendous to ski on and so noisy! daugther and I got through our lessons, but conditions were so bad that I don’t think any school made much progress, except to prove that we could all still limp down on it. My son however, was a different story. After ½ hr he was back down crying (along with three other small ones) – they couldn’t stand this icy wind and I had no under helmet balaclava for him or my daughter. I had found my daughter a scarf but my son had nothing round his face. So I went to the flat and found an old blanket and chopped off a strip – this round his face and 15 mins in the warm and he went back to join his class for ’break’ and went back up with them to the Pinochio lift. Apparently there were a few more tears, but he did stay put and the instructor agreed to take him on Wednesday. In the evening it SNOWED!!

Wednesday

They had thought 70cm was possible but in the event we got about 10cm, but better than nothing, though it did then freeze after they ‘groomed’ it. Woke up to very thick fog! Visibility about 20m up top. Daughter and son went to ski school – I practice. All the ski schools go in for ‘breaktime’ while I’m up top in the fog, and I take a nasty tumble (one of many more minor affairs that week). My right leg twists in a direction it’s not designed to and I lose a ski. So there, I am spread-eagled in the fog, with my leg killing me no-one else around – at this point think briefly that this lark is not such a good idea, but I’ve got to get down so test leg – it still moves – good, but very painful – something has. stretched and twisted that shouldn’t. I retrieved the ski and managed to get up and put it on and limped back down the slope. Then the horse riding mentality kicks in and I know I’ve got to go back up – so I come down twice more and this seems to help the muscles – it still hurts like something is not right, but I think pressing down on the ski pushes some of damage back where it came from. Lunch and 400mg ibruprofen and a quiet lesson – but I do discover that I’ve got two shoulders! The carving is getting better (though I still can’t do this very fast routine of my daughter straight down the hill – again I am a control freak), but is better when turning right than when turning left. Apparently I get the left shoulder to follow the right turn round, but can’t seem to do the same as naturally with the other side. Yet when I practice a parallel stop its better when turning left – most odd. I also find that I can use the edge of the downhill ski to keep the turn on track and can use my strength to stop the downhill ski sliding away before it digs in. I’m still finding it difficult to tilt the uphill ski around in a similar arc parallel to the downhill one, and this sometimes threatens to trip me up, but I have discovered that if I raise the uphill ski and lift it round whilst balancing on the dug in edge of the downhill ski that I can lift the uphill ski around parallel with the downhill one to complete the turn – probably not good technique, but useful for those times when I’m in a muddle – I can make lovely carved turns on the lower, shallower part of the slope that runs to the lift where I’m happy to let the ski’s run, and am more confident on the steeper part of the slope. It feels faster and more competent, though to watch it back on the video it still doesn’t look as fast as it felt. It actually feels as though I’m in charge of the ski’s rather than vice versa – I hope that makes sense. My daughter continues to make progress and we have a breakthrough with my son, he has started to turn and actually doesn’t want to take his skis off.

Thursday

We all do the best so far – competency and confidence increases for all, my boots are tightened and everything improves.

Friday – kids race day

Lessons in the morning for the kids. My son starts the button lift after break-time, but they decide not to race the snow garden class as the course has been relaid on a steeper part of the blue slope. My son passes out though and gets a pass-mark to use the button lift. After lunch they run the race for the others my daughter, in a class of 23 including more those from a more competent group training at the same prince/princess level, gets 4th place against other kids from naturally snowy areas - I am elated. She, of course passes the Princess level. After the race my Swiss friends work with my son on the button lift and make huge progress, from falling over every 5 yards in the morning he comes down from as high as there is still snow by himself, and learns to leave the button without help. No lesson for me today, but lots of practice.

Saturday – last day

Everyone spends the last day having fun. We can't prise my son off the button lift and in the finish my Swiss friends give him more leeway as his comptency improves, my daughter still can't beat their son in a straight line, but has great fun trying and also finds she can go over small mini-leaps. I practice, practice, practice. The piste is empty – no ski school and everyone going home. It feels great there is still the surface from the racing which has been repaired, and I go up on the button and see these lovely lines that I have made in the snow! I still can go fast downhill in a straight line, but I feel much better – it feels more like I think it should and makes the right ‘sound’ – shoosh, shoosh, shoosh. My leg is still niggling, but is not so bad and I hope that given a couple of weeks it will work itself out. Finally we all have a ride to the mid station on the chair lift without ski's just to get a different view for a change, and come back for a final 1/2 hour on the button slope which has been extended open for an extra 1/2 hr as the weather is great - the sun is out the snow is not too bad and life is great!

I have skiing videos and will post for your comments once the computer has finished sorting them out for us.

So that was my holiday – we are booking for the same place next year. Please feel free to say if some of the above makes sense or to offer advice with technique – or wait for the video. Finally, if anyone knows of an on-line source where I can order these kids small balaclavas that go under their helmets I’d be most grateful for a link

Here endeth my somewhat lengthy report, but I did promise that I would let you know how things went and as you will know by now I like to do a good job of this sort of thing!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-06-07 23:17; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why such a long post if the resort X is a secret ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, I have my reasons for not wanting to say where I went, but my post was not about the resort. Instead I intended it to describe our learning progress and the sorts of conditions that we skied in, what we found difficult and what we found easy. The sort of report I'd have liked to have read about the sort of process - physically and mentally - that a novice goes through. This process must be common across all resorts. However, clearly you regret the time you spent reading about my trip. I'll add a warning at the top so that others know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It might be easier if you just changed your user name to 'Mata Hari'.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, When you post your videos it is probable that people will know the resort !!!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And I thought snowHeads was about sharing...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum Glad to see you enjoyed your holiday - look forward to seeing the video Smile
Quote:

Finally, if anyone knows of an on-line source where I can order these kids small balaclavas that go under their helmets I’d be most grateful for a link

Try here for balaclavas.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad to hear it went well, Megamum, and that mum and kids made good progress. It could have been a very boring week with only one, not very nice, piste but your determination to make the most of it shines through. Hope the leg is OK. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
riverman, they didn't last time Laughing

rob@rar, I think you'll find that its hard to prove that I don't share - as far as I know I have admitted to most things here except to say where I go - if this is a crime then I promise I'll know when to take a hint that my contributions are not required here on snowHead .

Sage, yes, thanks, those are things I want, I'll order a couple for next year - they do seem quite successful on the little kids that had them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, I think you'll find that its hard to prove that I don't share - as far as I know I have admitted to most things here except to say where I go - if this is a crime then I promise I'll know when to take a hint that my contributions are not required here on snowHead .

I don't think it's a crime, although I have to say I don't understand the motivation of keeping Resort X secret. If you don't want other people to know about a hidden gem why mention it at all?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, I think the thing is, by refusing to name where you went, you've actually drawn more attention to it than if you had just named it in passing. I guess some of us are just a little puzzled at why you would want to conceal it - between us we've probably been to most resorts, certainly in Europe and also a lot elsewhere around the world. Even sth like "Back from our ski holiday" would have been less conspicuous IYSWIM. Glad you had a good holiday btw - all the ice this year certainly stiffens the backbone! And you appreciate decent snow much more. One of our friends has learned to ski this year - he's not going to know what's hit him when he encounters good conditions Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, snap!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

between us we've probably been to most resorts, certainly in Europe and also a lot elsewhere around the world

Very true, Megamum look at the snowhead skier profiles

I doubt that you naming the resort would cause hoards of snowheads to go there. They would probably think "X" in Switzerland, never heard of it and continue planning their trip to where they want to go.

It's your decision, I will say no more.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I feel that being so secretive about the resort is not in the spirit of snowheads.
snow conditions
Megamum, interesting to read about the emotional as well as physical ups and downs of your week and your progress as skiers.
Wish I'd kept a diary of our first years with my kids too...
My daughter broke her leg in Yugoslavia her first year of skiing when she was 9...but she had the horse riding mentality too-- and got skiing again (with my encouragement 2 years later)---became a good skier when grown up.

I hope your leg is OK now-- you sound like a lady with a positive attitude!Very Happy
ski holidays
Why is it exactly that you don't want to tell us where you went? I'm not sure I can think of any worthy reasons for doing this but can think of lots of ignoble ones, which may conceivably even mean you're doing those whose hospitality you've enjoyed a poor turn. Confused
snow report
Megamum, nice report. You will read that one day and have great memories. Just imagine, in a few years time, on the pistes that you're having trouble with now, you'll proberbly be skiing backwards at high speed on a pair of twin-tips. Cool
ski holidays
Glad you had a good time, this could be like one of those Osama videos (thats an extra few hits from the FBI! - sorry been watching the conspiracy theory thing on the beeb), we will have to analyse the lichen on any trees in the background and the specific snow conditions to figure out where it was!! On a more sensible tack, I wouldnt worry about your secret skiing spot, as you will learn as you progress the snow always seems just a bit deeper/fluffier/whiter somewhere else and the addiction that is being a snowHead kicks in, I tried X once but I heard that they get an extra 12inches at Y and the lifts have no queues so I'm trying there next year!!!

As an aside I prefer a face mask to the balaclava, might be worth a look?
snow report
Megamum,

Sounds great, well done.
latest report
So Megamum, and David Goldsmith don't/won't say where they ski! Have they ever been seen in the same room together? We should be told! Laughing Laughing

P.s. Hope the leg gets batter David, sorry, Megamum, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, I think you mentioned a while back where you were going - I remember it because I'd not seen the place mentioned here before & it was were we went our first ever skiing holiday.
ski holidays
geri, Now you're teasing (testing?) us! Smile
snow report
halfhand, you beat me to it... but at least she admits she does ski!
snow report
Megamum, We know its Switzerland, and it is at 1350m which suggests to me... Adelboden (1353m)... or Nendaz... or... perhaps most likely - Morgins which is at exactly 1350, and I remember fondly. Am I right?
snow report
stoatsbrother, It is probably a well-hidden bunker, carved deep into the Alps.

Mr Megamum spends most of his time there supervising hundreds of blonde Aryan types who are engaged in the construction of a secret nuclear weapon.

He has a shaven head, a duelling scar and a white cat on his lap.
snow conditions
This guessing game is fun, can I have a go? I think it's Lenzerheide-Valbella.
snow conditions
I don't think I have been to X, but I regularly ski "The Run With No Name". wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So either:
It is a place that needs to be kept secret, in case we all want to go there.

Or

It is a place with bad snow, and that needs to be kept secret in case word gets out that it is not perfect.

My vote is the second reason.......It just has to be La Rosiere!
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum wrote:

I don't think it's a crime, although I have to say I don't understand the motivation of keeping Resort X secret. If you don't want other people to know about a hidden gem why mention it at all?

I agree. IMV (which in no way reflects official snowHeads policy) it's not quite in the spirit of snowHeads to withhold information. Especially if you've had a lot of it freely given to you in the past. Very Happy
snow report
Megamum, interesting report, shame its caused a 'bit of a stir' by witholding the resort name. Glad you had a good time though, are you still a nervous nervice? hope the leg gets better, I hurt my ankle after falling off the button lift (don't know how but I quite often fall off!) it hurt for weeks but has recovered in time for my next weekend ski!!
I got small kids balaclavas in The Alp snowHead ine Rooms - Danbury, I seem to remember you are local so may be worth a look they were less than £10!
snow report
Skullie

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 19-02-07 18:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
FenlandSkier,

Very slick...but not too geeky....LaughingLaughingLaughing
snow conditions
Most people wouldnt want to go to Lenzerhiede ! I passed through on the way back from Davos and apart from the extreme tobogan rollercoaster ride the rest was tumble weed !
ski holidays
Megamum, interesting to read your report and how you got on Very Happy

I don't think it's Lenzerhiede - this is the resort that has been owned up to in posts & profile etc. Megamum went to the unknown resort last year and again this year.
snow report
The secrecy is not really in the 'spirit' of the forum is it.
One persons gem is another persons worst nightmare so why keep it secret ?
really dont understand and this will be my last post on the matter as it doesnt warrant any more interest !!
snow conditions
What's all the fuss about? If we were talking about how somebody got on with their new skis why would we need to know, for example, what colour jacket they had been wearing? Given that megamum skied on one slope and her resort does not touch on resort facilities, it's utterly irrelevant where she went. Puzzled
ski holidays
I am inclined to agree with Pam here, Megamum my have other justifiable reasons why she doesn't wish to reveal her holiday destination. I also think that her profile shouldn't be on display in the piste section as this can only usually be accessed in Apres, which isn't accessible to non members.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 19-02-07 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
For goodness sake. What a bunch of old women. If Megamum, doesn't want to say then leave her be. Bloody tittle tattlers. Let he/her who is without pseudonym cast the first stone rolling eyes
snow conditions
feefee, Thanks - I might try Danbury, the kids seem to feel the cold more than us don't they - either that or they just can't put up with the discomfort as much as we do.

So am I still a nervous nervoice?

Well, it depends on what I'm doing. If the snow is not doing an impression of an ice rink, I was confident to start with a couple of snowplough turns and then work into some parallels, pop through a little steeper down and up U shape runing vertical to the hill, then nip down the steeper section to the flat run out and do a little parallel stop when I got down to the lift. Some-how I found that starting with parallel straight away caused all sorts of problems - dunno why. However, I did not get confident enough to go straight down the hill with very few turns like my 7 yr old was doing, or even to iron out my giant zigzags like most of the competent adults could. I was also happy to start feeling the edges of the skis and to try to apply what I have learned here. So I guess I am learning my limits and am more competent and confident than I was, but I won't be happy with myself until I can run down the length of the slope without too much deviation - only then will I feel that I am ready to take the chair lift up to a different run.

I'm sorry I've caused so much controversy. I have tried searching for my resort name in the threads here and nothing comes back, so I know its never been mentioned before. It's very small, and has such limited accommodation that I would be worried that their regular Swiss clientelle would not get their appartments if I shouted about it too much. I have explained my problem to my Swiss friends who found it for us - to my amazement they also said that they do not tell where they are going to their friends because of the same problem. If the resort was empty and struggling for a reference then I would be happy to give it a plug, but as it was they were already turning away people booking for next season and had been booked out for this year. I have explained this privately to some of more senior snowHead 's here and they have kindly said that they can understand my reasoning.

As for Lenzerheide/Valbella - that's where I went skiing for two separate weeks about 10 years ago - it may have changed now. It was OK for us then as a couple without kids, but it was a bit of a drive to the lifts (which were nice gondolas though) and I don't think will be as convenient to take the kids to until they grow up a bit. Our accom. there was 1/2 way up a slope and we had to go back down the valley and drive along past the ice rink and out of the little town before getting to the lifts - def. not as convenient as a ski in/out appartment, though the place did have some apres ski which my new resort doesn't.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy