Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski waxing & transportation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i've just re-waxed my skis after a week in Slovenia. I'm at the stage where the next bit is scraping off the excess & polishing them with a brush, which is what i usually do. However, at that point i'm wondering... do i really need to do this. I'm not a racer so i don't wax my skis for max performance, but to protect the bases. I'm leaving for Canada next week & i was thinking if i left the wax as is, first it would help protect the bases in transport, & second it would soon wear down once i'd done a few runs.. (i know they might be a bit sticky at the start..)

any comments?

Oh.. & talking about transport of skis, i bought a KIS ski case off ebay a couple of years back. I thought i'd use it on this next trip rather than the soft case i normally use. however, my skis (Metron B5's) won't fit it.. in fact, i can't even get one in! So.. i guess i'll just keep this case for my fishing rods.. but.. do KIS do a bigger case for more modern skis. And does anyone do a soft case that will take skis, boots & all the rest of your stuff as i'm fed up with lugging 3 bags round the airports!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
riverwhy, On the basis that I have only been doing my own ski maint for the last 30+ years and have done a little experimenting I doubt you will notice any real difference unless you have the misfortune to find really cold dry snow Sad . If you really want to why not just throw your plastic scraper in the bottom of the bag?
Watch out Spyderjon will be along soon, he is the expert Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
riverwhy, you own superb performing skis like B5's & you can't be @rsed to spend another 10 minutes to scrape & brush them rolling eyes. I'd sell them now & buy some Rossi B2's wink.

Get a pair of those velcro ski ties that have the padding strip that seperates the ski bases during transit to prevent rubbing.

There's loads of ski bag options of the market but have you considered sliding off your toe & heel pieces & taking them in your carry-on bag? You should then both skis in your bag without & it keeps your bindings away from the baggage handlers. I do this & it works a treat, especially as I can then get two pairs of skis in the ski bag weight limit with just one pair of bindings. Both skis have Neox 412's off course.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
riverwhy, There you are I told you Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi spyderjon.. yeah.. they are good skis aren't they.. just had my first real blast on them in slovenia - they are quick! I love 'em... but i don't much care for carrying them!! wink
But it's not that i can't be arsed - just wondered really if it would make much difference leaving the wax on once i'd skiied for an hour.
Good suggestion to take the bindings off.. might well do that in future.. thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
riverwhy, I'd most definately scrape the bases as you'd be leaving a lot of wax on the base. I've never tried skiing on an unbrushed base so I've no idea how long it'll take for the wax to clear out of the structure. However 3 passes with a brass bursh is all you need.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon.. done.. btw before waxing do you use fluid to remove the old wax after the first scrape? i read somewhere that the fluid can damage the bases. i have a can of holmenkol wax remover but don't use it every time i re-wax. Oh.. & having teenage sons i have draws of odd socks in the house & i find one slipped over the top & one over the bottom of the ski before putting them together & banding them makes a pretty good protector where the skis touch..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverwhy, wax remover does tend to dry out the bases so I only use it for cleaning damaged areas prior to repairs. For base cleaning I prefer to do a hot scrape clean with a soft wax. A ‘hot scrape’ is when the molten wax is immediately scraped off after being ironed in to the ski to pull out the dirt held within the base. You’ll notice the black dirt smears in the scraped wax. If the base is very dirty then this can be repeated until the wax scrapes clean. Wax remover's a must for cleaning scapers etc.

petemillis will be impressed with your low cost tip with the socks wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 18-02-07 19:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
riverwhy, now I know what to do with all those odd socks!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, You mention 'a soft wax'. Looking at waxes available, they tend to be advertised as being suitable for a particular temperature range. This might sound like a silly question but can you tell me which is softer....wax suitable for very cold conditions or wax suitable for warmer (less cold) conditions?
Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hellfiresliding, Wax suitable for warm conditions is soft & usually yellow. It melts at a low temp, approx 65C-80C. It's also ideal for doing hot scrape cleans & for multiple base prepping coats as it penetrates so well.

Wax for v.cold conditions is very hard & usually blue in colour. It has to be applied with a very hot iron (which is were domestic irons struggle) as it melts at approx 120C-150C. Most makers recommend that it's scraped off whilst still slightly warm as it goes rock 'ard when fully cooled & you'd new a chisel to get it off!

For correct wax selection you need to know snow temperatures etc so for us flatlanders who are waxing in the UK it's best to use a universal wax with a wide operating temperature range - IMO the best being Dominator Zoom uni wax although the Holmenkol uni wax is pretty good too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy