Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Of maps and things...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Arabba - where I discovered they do just the map I've always wanted - a proper 1:25,000 OS style map with ski lifts and ski runs on it, doesn't show any images of the map but you can get them here:

http://194.20.142.210/tabacco/ita/map.asp?cat=4&id=39
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's fantastic. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoppo, Every country in Europe has their version of the OS. In France it's the Institut Geographique national IGN, you can find their Carte de Randonnée (1:25000) on a rack somewhere in most resorts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
But the Carte de Randonée doesn't have ski runs on - lifts are marked though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, but you can buy the electronic versions and they are compatible with most GPS software and you can plot your track straight into them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This was sub 5 euro and it does have the ski runs marked...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but you can buy the electronic versions and they are compatible with most GPS software and you can plot your track straight into them

sounds like fun, especially with cold hands. As someone who hates fiddling with technology, especially with little screens, on the piste, I think I'll give that a miss. I can see that it'd be very useful for serious off piste, or walking in the summer, though the maps are so good I don't generally have too much trouble working out where I am at any given moment.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I was fiddling around with GPS this holiday - more to remember where I'd been than to find out where I was... I need to do some more fiddling but here is the trace for the Sella Ronda (clockwise):

I also discovered my top speed was about 40kmph Shocked ... not sure I believe that...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hoppo, doesn't seem to be much snow on the bits you skied.... wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, no - Google Earth seems to avoid snow Sad And the Sella Ronda has a bloody great cloud sat on it...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hoppo, that's fun. It would be quite interesting to see a trace. Maybe I'll give it a go. I am familiar with using GPS at sea but have never used it on land. How did you make that trace? And did you think you were going faster, or slower, than 40 KPH?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I suspect I was going slower than 40kph - although they were only brief peaks. I have a Dell Axim x51v PDA with a little bluetooth GPS unit. I used Noni GPSplot (http://aeguerre.free.fr/Public/PocketPC/NoniGPSPlot/) to capture a track, this allows export to Google Earth KML format files - the picture I showed is slightly tweaked. Alternatively GPSvisualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/) will take a wide range of plots and produce rather prettier plots, using Google Earth imagery. I'm guessing you have a more suitable GPS setup (Garmin type device?), so you could probably just upload to GPSvisualizer.

I like fiddling with data and the GPS track has given me lots to play with - I am wondering whether I can be really cunning and tag my photos with location using the time the photo was taken and the time on the trace...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy