Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it the Boots or is it the Legs????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

Last year I decided to buy myself a pair of boots as I felt it was the most important piece of kit and every serious skier should own a pair. I went for the Technica Vento 8 in gorgeous blue and had them pre-moulded to my feet. They fit amazingly and were very comfortable for my feet. (I recommend to anyone buying boots to always get the footbeds moulded) I did however have an issue with very painful thighs, they would especially burn when skiing on the flats. I wasn't sure if it was because I had lively skis (K2 apache Crossfires) or that I had over excercised my quads before the trip and was carrying an injury.

I'm off in a week and as is customary for all lead up weeks, you have to try all your kit on to make sure it all still fits. When I tried my boots on I noticed that when standing straight I could sense that feeling again. I noticed that because the boots make you bend you legs slightly it forces the quads to tense, unlike when standing in shoes the quads are fairly relaxed. I was wondering if this was causing my legs to be so tired as they are always having to work, whereas on the flats you should be able to stand stright and relax the muscle to allow them to recover. I am quite a fit and active person, I run three times a week, can run 10K in under 50 mins and have been skiing for 18 years and wouls class myself as advanced. Why am I getting this feeling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I get burning thighs it's because I'm skiing too far in the back seat. Maybe you could get someone to check your stance when skiing on a variety of slopes, as well as paying attention to your kit?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe the boots are a bit stiff If you cannot flex your ankles forward enough your quads will feel it as you won't be able to get your weight over your feet. What angle can you get your lower legs forward to, with the boots done up normally? If you can't flex your ankles enough you could try buckling the middle two buckles less tightly (one of Warren Miller's exercises for ankle flex is to ski with them undone completely, which does make a difference.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
could definately be the boots - I had my xwave 10s 'straightened' (cut bits out of the back to make them more upright) and softened when I had a similar problem, fixed it a treat, no probs now at all with thigh burn. aj xx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a.j., I agree. My X Wave 8s have a lot of forward lean and I'm always in a skiing position, even when standing in the cable car, and would love to be able to stand up straight. I also have very little ankle flex. The forward lean is great for skiing, but I disagree with pam w and rob about you necessarily being in the back seat. Having seen myself on video, being in the back seat is not a problem I have so I don't think I should have the thigh pain I still do, even though I'm fitter this year (had no problems in the second half of last season). Can only conclude it's a combination of tight calves, little ankle flex and forward lean in my boots - maybe the bootfitters have some thoughts?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Read the comments from one of Snowheads' respected ski instructors here. The rest of the thread is also very relevant.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agreed it's not an 'either postion OR boot' - if you remember to stay forwards absolutely all the time I assume you won't have a problem, but a boot can definately exacerbate a problem by not letting you 'stand up' to take a break. Even if it were 80 your bad posture and 20 your boot it's still a hell of a lot easier to get the boot fixed, then work on the position. That way you can be comfy while you work on it!

I stuck with my boots for 2 seasons convinced it was my bad skiing, 20minutes at lockwoods to have them 'edited' and haven't had a problem since! Gone from being able to ski 20-30mins max between rests to happily skiing all day...If easiski can remember she can tell you how backseat or not I am (i don't have video I'm afraid) but unless I am _much_ better than I think I'm not perfect all the time, and yet have no thigh burn as I can straighten up in the easier sections and rest. Maybe the correct solution would have been far more lessons, but I prefer 20mins in lockwoods Very Happy Skiing is just a fun holiday hobby not a performance sport for me.

Hearing you loud and clear eng_ch - the gondolas and the walk to the slopes used to be absolute agony - I hated it. Whatever happened to walk mode on boots thats what I want to know!!

aj xx
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderHunter, sounds like your combination of boot and binding is giving you too much ramp angle. If you've got a practical nature and like playing with these things try putting shims under your binding toe piece to reduce the ramp. Helps to have a friend check how your stance/alignment is looking as the ramp is reduced. Good thing is if it doesn't work there's no harm done and no money spent.

I'd do this before having someone attack my boots especially if they are not going to check the ski boot combination.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich that sounds interesting, never heard it offered before as a possible solution/problem - are you saying (excuse the girly explanation) that he's basically wearning high heels right now and now needs to turn them into 'platforms' by stacking the toe up higher to level the foot out?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a.j., its a possibility.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a.j., 3 factors need to be assessed before you assume it's technique. AB-Duction/AD-Duction, Pronation/Supination, Dorsi/Planta-Flexion. These three factors will deturmine the timing of the firing of the motor system in your lower leg. CEM is your man in Bicester, he likes pies. Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My current pair are fixed by the simple expedient of lockwoods taking the back piece off and grinding about an inch off it - magically solved all my problems in one go. I am thus newly a convert to "it's not my fault I'm crap, it's my boots what are doing it" Toofy Grin

However any replacements I'll definately be going via CEM - I have tricky feet even for normal shoes so ski boots are a nightmare! Nothing at all to do with being 4 stone overweight - no siree, it's the boots what are doing it Wink

aj xx
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There seems to be something in what you are saying. One of the main problems is never being able to relax when on the flats. I always feel that I have to get into a forward position and can't "stand-upright" in the easy sections. Could this be that my boot isn't flexing backwards enough or could it be my moulded insole have a higher profile under hte heal than under the front? Who is CEM in Bicester, is that at Beans? How can I contact him to get an appointment?

Thanks for all your input I have found it very useful, I would be grateful if you would continue to contribute. Thanks

Powderhunter
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy