Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet2 - Ski Carriage Question.

Poster: A snowHead
We're off on Saturday (hooray) for the half term ski (boo). We're flying Jet2 from Manchester and in the past I've carried three pairs of skis in a double bag and only paid for one pair (snigger).

However, that was from Leeds/Bradford.

This year I've got a bag that fits four pairs, but I was wondering if this were taking the p1ss a little.

So, does anyone know whether the Jet2 check-in nazis at Manchester look in the bag, or (even worse) weigh it?

Yours,

Marc "tight-wad" Gledhill
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc gledhill, my preferred method is to turn up at the last moment by which point they are so desperate to get you on the plane before they miss their ATC slot that they don't bother charging you XS baggage. My wife and I managed to get away with 74Kg between us at the start of the season via this tactic. This was at LBA but the principle applies wherever you go from. the only big no no is to have a bag over 32Kg as the dreaded H&S rules apply. four sets of skis in one bag might be close to that
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They weight *everything* at manchester. We paid for a ski bag: with two pairs fof skis in it (Salomon scream 8 and pocket rockets, neither of which are heavy) it was well over the limit, to the point where the charge for excess baggage was ludicrous. Cheaper to pay the extra £15 than to pay per kilo for the excess (admittedly we were sharing excess weight allowance between 4 people, 2 of whom had decided that they weren't going to carry suitcases, just ski bags and a carry-on)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would LOVE to know how anybody's ski luggage can tip the scales at 37kg (ie 74kg for Mr & Mrs Gledhill). Going for a season or what?!

My week's kit - including skis & boots - is never more than 15kg. Maybe next time I WILL pack that kitchen sink. It amazes me to see people struggling to lift 25kg bags off their trolleys! Off their trolleys indeed....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, a freind of mine took her stiletto heels on a skiing holiday!! well, she needed something to wear in the evenings!! rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, that's quite impressive. Mine (8 kg of which was boots/hand baggage) came to 23kg & that's without skis. Of the clothes I took with me, the only things I didn't wear were a thick FatFace cardy and a couple of vest tops. And I didn't take any stilettos, either! How do you pack so light?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 15-02-07 23:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont wrote:
a freind of mine took her stiletto heels on a skiing holiday!! well, she needed something to wear in the evenings!! rolling eyes

We met a lady last year who not only took her stilettos and wore them in the hotel....... she also went for a midnight tobogon in them too!

Not your friend BAC?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RetroSkier, don't think so, although she was in Aosta or Courmayeur with a college trip last winter. After the ridicule she got that first ski holiday , I don't think she'd dare.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2 sleeps off to PDS Sat BTW
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
My week's kit - including skis & boots - is never more than 15kg....

Puzzled Boots, poles & skis have got to weigh 10kg plus the bags they're in. So that leaves you less than 5kg for everything else? Are you a 7 year old by any chance wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, the 74Kg was indeed for a season. Four sets of skis, three sets of poles, two sets of boots, clothing, avalanche gear, the list is endless. Impressed at 15Kg as my B3s weigh 8 Kg by themselves.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict,
Quote:

My week's kit - including skis & boots - is never more than 15kg.

How the hell do you manage that? You must travel in your full ski outfit, and have no changes of clothes.

My suitcase was 20.2 Kg going out thsi year, and although te boots were in it, the skis and poles were in a ski bag, padded with several T shirts and the pair of shoes I took (I wore walking boots to travel). I don't think I had an excessive amount of anything, and the books I took were in my hand luggage.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, with Jet2's allowance, Mr & Mrs G are only allowed 18Kg each Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc,

I cannot speak for jet2, but Easyjet recently weighed my bags and my ski bags, both at Liverpool and Basel for the return trip. I'd tried to get 2 pairs in one bag, and got charged lots. Like others I opted to pay the £20 at the airport for a 2nd pair.

so I think they are smart to this, and you will get hugely clobbered, better to take 4 bags inside the big bag, and check each in seperately!

Let me know how you get on, flying jet2 to Chambery for Easter....

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jet2 policy is that you have a standard allowance of 18Kg. If you pay extra for ski carriage this increases your personal allowance up to 32Kg. Doesn't matter how this is made up so long as no single item of luggage weighs more than 32Kg (H&S again). This will give you and Mrs G a combined allowance of 50Kg.
snow report
BGA, cheers. Think I'll weigh that ski bag toneet.
ski holidays
I though ski carriage gave you only 10kg extra not 14, and also that you cannot share weight allowances between passengers, even on the same booking - although I may well be wrong
latest report
Right, four pairs in one bag weighs in at 28Kg, so I'm under the H&S limit.

Lets see how we go. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I don't think you can combine limits, so it's 18kg per person, and then if one person pays for skis, they can take a bag of skis & a bag, for a total weight limit of 32kg.

So if one of your party only took a 4kg bag, your 28kg skis will be ok, if not, and say, you take an 18kg bag + 28kg skis, your total weight will be 46kg, so I think you'll get charged 14kg of overweigh at £5 per kg....

From jet2's webpage:

The personal baggage allowance for golfing and winter sports passengers is increased from 18kg to 32kg subject to this additional payment per sector. Should this limit be exceeded, the normal excess baggage charges will apply.

I'd love to know how you actually get on!!

Cheers,

greg
snow conditions
marc gledhill, Have a good trip, You have remembered to pack the poles as well rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
kitenski, doesn't work like that. If there are two people travelling then you start off with an 18Kg limit each. One person then pays for a ski bag, raising their limit to 32Kg. This gives you one person with a 32 Kg limit and the other with 18Kg. Inmarc gledhills case he can take his 28Kg bag plus 4Kg more if required and his OH still has her 18Kg limit. In the example I posted at the top of the thread both my wife and I paid for a ski bag each so we both had 32Kg limits, so we were only 10Kg over. We didn't get charged because it was 30 mins to take off time and they were all a bit stressed so just told us to go straight through to departures.
latest report
BGA, that's exactly what I said!!!
snow report
Four pairs; charged as one bag Cool
snow report
Me and mate just travelled with them from Leeds Bradford - the way I understand it you get 32kg for main bag/skis/boots each.

I had 33 and my mate had about 36, they didn't seem to care at all.

Remember you also get 10kg of hand luggage:)
latest report
nice one Marc!! Did your kids each have a bag within the 18kg limit???

Trying to work out what bags to buy for Easter's jet2 trip.

regards,

greg
snow report
kitenski, As a family of four we had an allowance of 18kg x 4. We took four items of hold luggage; two soft holdalls, a double bootbag and the girt big ski bag.

The holdalls weighed about 20kg and 25kg and the bootbag about 15kg - so well within our shared limit. The lady on the desk was excellent and said in her view we would be able to share our total allowances between the whole group booking of 28 people, and as there were so many families she didn't expect individual allowances to be an issue at all. (The girls at Chambery cared even less!).

She asked how many skis we were taking; so we said one bag. No problem there, just weighed it (30kg - but it was 28kg on home scales Confused ) then had to run off to pay the supplement and return to the desk to wave the reciept and pick up boarding cards.

Ski bag then taken to airport staffer (not Jet2) to load into the oversized luggage area.

Job done Cool
snow report
nice one, hope our trip from leeds is the same Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy