Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Left turn problems

Poster: A snowHead
I havent been skiing for a while but last week when i visited the local dry ski slope i noticed i had a prob;em getting my weight onto the right ski to initiate the left turn. I would call myself aintermediate/advanced skier andhave no problems like this with my right turns.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
montylad, possbily an equipment issue - where did you get your boots from, and were they set up for you?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
from the ski hire place at the dry slope
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
montylad,
get yourself to Cairngorm - its much easyer to turn left there Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a similar problem at the beginning of last season, turning left I would lean down the hill, turning right I would lean up the hill causing problems........ Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
montylad, could you sideslip on either side without problems, or was one side worse than the other?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i am good at slide slipping on both side, and btw II im going to cairngorm in a week for seven days skiing>
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't want to worry you but a friend of mine had this problem and later discovered it was an early symptom of Parkinson's. Have you any other cause for concern?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thing i forgot to mention was that it was only my first left turn of every run i had problems with. could it be confidence and not skiing for a while combined???
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
montylad, what turn do you normally start runs with?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
montylad wrote:
The thing i forgot to mention was that it was only my first left turn of every run i had problems with. could it be confidence and not skiing for a while combined???

When you get up to walk or run, do you always start with the same leg? I bet it's just a "left handed/right handed" thing. And if you were on the proper piste it would be far easier for you to start off on the other turn as you would be going the way you need for the line you want to take. How about on the dry slope, instead of thinking which direction your first turn is taking, look for a mark on the left hand side of the matting and make it like it's something you need to ski around on your first turn. Then you won't be thinking about your legs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i always start with a right turn. at the dryslope their is a wee bit of a hump just after were i want to make the left turn but i always end up using the hump to get my weight over the right ski and turn.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
montylad, try starting the run with a left turn, and see how that goes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mind you, if it's the John Nike carpet stuff, the direction of the weave/loop could well be the problem on your left turns.........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For many years, I could turn one way far better than the other. Is it to do with one leg being stronger than the other, rather like we are all right or left handed?
ski holidays
montylad, do you kick with your left foot? Wink Laughing (don't answer that one)

Which slope were you at?

I learned to ski at "Mount Ober" (or Knockbracken for those with a longer memory)
latest report
Maybe going skiing in Argentina, Chile, New-Zealand or somewhere else in the southern hemisphere would help, it's probably just one of those water down the plughole type things...
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Don't turn left. Just turn right. Shocked
snow report
ski at Craigavon but i live in Enniskillen so only get to go once in a while. Think it may be loss of confidence through lack of skiing for a while. I hope i overcome it for my trip to scotland on the 25th, that and oping the weather improves from the forecasts!!!!! Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy