Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1800 or 2000/Val Thorens/Alpe d'Huez 14th April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I really fancy a late week now the conditions are lookign up. I've never skied France before so would appreciate any thoughts:

1. How likely is it that conditions will hold up in these high resorts?

2. Which resort would be best to avoid afternoon slush?

3. If afternoon slush is unavoidable which is best for sitting in lovely sunshine with a beer?

thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx, welcome to snowHeads!

I've skied Les Arcs quite late in the season in recent years and there's been plenty of skiing available, including some fresh snow in the last week of April. The terrain above Arc 1800 and Peisey gets more afternoon sun that the rest of the domain so tends to have softer snow than the skiing above Arc 2000. I've had similar experiences in Val Thorens, and as this resort offers more skiing at higher altitudes it might be slightly better in unseasonably warm weather. In a typical season you should get lots of skiing available in all the resorts you've listed.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
holidayloverxx, welcome to snowHead s

Should be plenty of snow left high up mid-April.

ADH is predominantly south facing so the worst of those mentioned for slush. They're all purpose built and not exactly the stuff of aesthetic dreams but I'm sure you'd be able to find a sun soaked beer at all 3.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, you could look at Vaujany which links into the Alpe d'Huez system. The slopes above it are the most north facing in the area and usually stay in decent nick late in the season. There's one lovely slopeside bar with deckchairs which will bring you beer and chocolate cornflake cake thingies. The town is actually south facing so at the end of the day you can sit in the sun looking at where you have been skiing. Vaujany is very sleepy though and particularly so late in the season so don't go there if you want crazy nightlife. Also you do have to take a lift down at the end of the day so if you insist on ski in/ski out, it isn't the place
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice guys.

LA2K or VT it is I think. Arno, Vaujany sounds good too but I do want the ski-in/ski-out if poss.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Thanks for the welcome and the advice guys.

LA2K or VT it is I think. Arno, Vaujany sounds good too but I do want the ski-in/ski-out if poss.

Arno-know the area far better than me. He is entirely right you can't ski back to Vaujany. I think though you can ski down a black run ( not a hard one)(its the black at the far end of the ski domain) and take a very slow -I'm loathe to call it a lift (bucket type lift which is v. slow) up from the end of that run in to Vaujany(the departure point of the cable car). Although there are North Facing slopes in Vaujany/Oz the ski area isn't vast (lovely with some good runs). Its fairly easy to get over to this area from ADH. Last time we were in ADH in March(2 years ago) we spent most of our time over there as the glacier wasn't open much(I think they were protecting it for Easter). ADH does get slushy especially the lower slopes. I don't think the ski grooming is fantastic on piste in ADH, but lots of good skiing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100, you're right about the bucket lift thingy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, The last few years conditions in ADH have been fantastic at the end of April. Afternoon slush is likely but powder days not uncommon. With the glacier you are at the very least guaranteed some decent skiing if nothing else!! Our chalet was still ski in ski for that week last year just to give you some idea of what the conditions can be like. Sure you will have a great holiday wherever you end up!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
katski wrote:
holidayloverxx, The last few years conditions in ADH have been fantastic at the end of April. Afternoon slush is likely but powder days not uncommon. With the glacier you are at the very least guaranteed some decent skiing if nothing else!! Our chalet was still ski in ski for that week last year just to give you some idea of what the conditions can be like. Sure you will have a great holiday wherever you end up!

I think I must have been unlucky the week I was there third week in march you could hardly get up to the glacier -no obvious reasons!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The higher you go, the longer the season.

Head to ValTho, at roughly 2300m.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
The higher you go, the longer the season.

Head to ValTho, at roughly 2300m.

Unless you go ski touring surely the length of the season is dictated by how long they keep the lifts running? Les Arcs closes this season on 28th (29th?) April (lifts around Arc 16,00, 1800 and Peisey a week earlier than that).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy