Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Public Thank-you - LargeZooKeeper and my trip to Chamonix!

Poster: A snowHead
At last..new boots! Thanks for your time!

Its kind of been mentioned elsewhere but I thought it might warrant a rounding off...

Dec..trip to see CEM in bicester. Outcome, a narrow foot that wasnt going to get shod that day! But with a warm reccomendation of the zookeeper(s) services in Chamonix and the skyscanner website we were off and running.

Appointment made with LZK and making best use of the second week of my pre-booked paternity leave! Unfortunately Pielette decided to extend her stay and time was running out. Could I leave my new child with mum on day 2 to swan off to Chamonix?..... I value my bits too much for that! So a delay and a rechedule of Easy flights to the next cheapest time (and some wangling at work!).

Checked in at home, departed with hand luggage and quicker than you could say.."whats the environmental impact of this day out?" I was on the ground and in the hire car. (Thank you helen beaumont for the link!).

A night in a very nice last minute hotel and an evening to check out the route for the am followed by one or three beers and it was off to the shop!

Greeted with a very nice coffee - (a gentlemanly start to the torture that was to follow!) And we were off! I am happy to report that I am not as much of a freak as I first thought, but rather not the ideal shape for the bulk of the mass market produced boots.

After a thorough examination Shocked my feet were duly slid into the Nordica HotRod and the Salomon Falcon10. Interestingly the Nordicas were comfiest straight out of the box but were dismissed when it became apparent that the Salomans were causing extreme pain to the toes but were fine elsewhere and LZK had spotted an opportunity for an early morning torture session!

As has been discussed by WTFH foam then stuck on feet and a neoprene toe cap and the whole lot crammed into the liner and boot Shocked Shocked Sadly with a new mum in the house I cannot claim that this is the worst pain ever - but it cant be a million miles away! Footbeds crafted and united with the newly expanded liner Smile and the whole lot now feeling a lot better! Job done!

Done the washing up in them this morning and they are getting comfier as I spend the time in them. Thank-you.

Only downside was 'having my picture taken' by the little grey box at the side of the road on the way back down the hill. Doh. Do you think they'll fin(e)d me back here in blighty? Confused

An endorsement for the Large one and a fun adventure for less than the cost of the train trip to some of the alternatives in the UK.
Happy boot shopping snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 15-02-07 15:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pielot, I thought a 6 hour round trip was doing well to get a new pair of boots.
Did you actually get the opportunity to test them whilst in Chamonix?
I think it is a strong possibility you will hear something if you we flashed even if it is a charge to your c/c from the car hire company for giving the authorities your details.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly no test run due to the limited length of the leash that Mrs P had me on! But we're back in the alpes en famille in April so any adjustments can be made then, if indeed they are even required.

Was very annoyed at getting flashed. even though it was a fair cop, I'm usually pretty good at spotting the blighters - decidedly well camouflaged on the continent Sad . That'll learn me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pielot wrote:

After a thorough examination Shocked my feet were duly slid into the Nordica HotRod and the Salomon Falcon10. Interestingly the Nordicas were comfiest straight out of the box but were dismissed when it became apparent that the Salomans were causing extreme pain to the toes but were fine elsewhere and LZK had spotted an opportunity for an early morning torture session!

I must be missing something here, why were the Nordica's dismissed if the Salomon's were causing grief??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a) because he could cause me more pain in the salomons! Twisted Evil

and

b) More accurately... the salomons were a better fit (snugger - infact like a firm handshake as the feeling was described to me) in most places and held onto my heel better, but the toe area was tight. The Nordicas were comfy but more from the perspective of being a little too big in places.

The view of LZK was that the toe problem wasn't really a problem at all, but the other aspects were more important/less easy to adjust and therefore the Salomons were taken forward and adjusted accordingly. It is apparently easier to find a little more room in a tighter boot than get an oversize boot to do what it should properly.

....Hope I'm not mis-representing LZK here.. but anyway..what he did..worked.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was right, I was missing something Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pielot, I am intrigued, what is it that Large can do that CEM can't and why Large and not small Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, He can line up 8 different whiskys, blind smell them and tell which is what. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
....move faster than a speeding bullet, leap tall buildings in a single bound, rescue cats from trees, etc. the myth the legend blah. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin,

to actually answer the question rolling eyes .... CEM doesn't run a ski shop, there is a clicky thing in his signature as to what services he does offer. CEM sources his boots locally wheras LZK has a shop full of boots to select from.

As to Large vs small, without wishing to be indiscreet, doesn't bigger mean better! Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pielot, if you were in a Swiss hire car you should be ok. I have been caught by the same camera in April - the sneeky French left it "camouflaged" in the open, on its own, just after a big speed camera warning sign - am still waiting for the fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
boredsurfin, He can line up 8 different whiskys, blind smell them and tell which is what. Toofy Grin

Where's the impressed smiley! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pielot, Funnily enough, The Large-One has been known to rescue his own cat from the tree out the back of his old appartment, leaping from balcony to balcony, as for a speeding bullet!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doncaster. Laughing Laughing .

sounds like the one. My quote at the time is unprintable Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Sometimes you are just soooooo cute Cool Cool Cool
latest report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Go Rescue ya' cat! Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Sorry to destroy all your dreams but actually a fireman got the cat out of the tree with a broom handle Shocked
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

The thing is, he can then DRINK them all, while you pass out after a smell of the third... Laughing
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Where did he put the said broom handle in order to rescue it?
Wear The Fox Hat, I have been justly accused of many things in my short lifetime, a lightweight has never been one of them! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Sorry then - must now accuse you of being a lightweight. I seem to remember a night, albeit a little while ago now, when you were to be found walking around a reasonabally expensive restaurant with nothing on apart from a womans 3/4 length coat having been easily led by another man (not me I would hasten to add) following a fairly moderate drinking session. Before you start - I know I'm a lightweight and I'm getting lighter the older I get unfortunately
ski holidays
LIGHTWEIGHT wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I have been justly accused of many things in my short lifetime, a lightweight has never been one of them! Toofy Grin

SZK, perhaps you don't remember drinking whisky round at LZK's place back in November.

LZK and I were almost shouting over your snoring...
snow conditions
dme, Wear The Fox Hat, My representatives will be in touch! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy