Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole info. please

Poster: A snowHead
Evening:

can anyone give me some useful info on Jackson Hole ? Accomodation already booked but any info. on following greatly received:

Ski area itself
Off piste guides
Bars/places to eat/places not to go . . .
Snowmobile trips/companies
Grand Targhee - worth a day or two ?
Non skiing stuff

Thanks,
NickW
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi NickW, and welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Sorry, haven't been to JH but there was some info on it in this previous thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2278

I'm sure someone will chip in with some additional info or one of our friends from across the waters may put in an appearance Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's some photos of Jackson Hole here...

http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Resorts/epic04.html

More info tomorrow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickW,
Skiing in Jackson is amazing. There is something for everyone.
Where are you staying?
I spent some time in the bar just across from the entrance to the tram. If you go into the centre of town, there's the Million Dollar Cowboy (I think it's Cowboy), it's worth going into just to see all the tourists in their stetsons.
I haven't skiied Targhee, but I'm told it is well worth at least one day.
As for going b/c, if you go to forums.epicski.com and post there, or send a PM on there to a guy called Bob Peters. He is a Jackson local, and a very helpful guy.

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I spent some time in the bar

Only "some time"?!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alan empty,
"Some" is a variable, greater than NONE, but less than ALL. Because I also spent "some" time on the slopes...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, greater than NONE, fair enough, but less than "LOADS OF" NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JH is steeper than most American ski areass. Take its double-blues to be like blacks at other areas. And its blacks to be like double blacks.

I went over to Grand Targhee one day.
Its mostly wide-open blue runs. There are a few steep black runs.
But if it's snowing, the place turns into one big powder field!

Andy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyrice, welcome to snowHead snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear the Fox Hat,

staying at Painted Buffalo Inn, 3 blocks from centre. Thanks for the steer (!) to Bob Peters. The guy has been incredibly helpful and sent me a huge amount of info.

anyrice > never heard of a double blue but understand JH has a grading system all of it's own ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickW,
It has some "double blues" basically, they are blue most of the way, but with some nice steeper pitches (but still a good bit of width)

Make sure you say hello to Bob from me. If he offers to ski with you, take him up on the offer - what he doesn't know about the Tetons isn't worth knowing! If you want to ski greens, he'll take you on greens. If you want to ski back country, he'll do that too, and anywhere in-between.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went to Jackson Hole February 2004 and it was FANTASTIC!! Best resort ever. We stayed in Jackson itself at the Best Western Hotel and caught the 8.30am free ski bus every morning that picked you up at the hotel. By 8.50am we were skiing in knee deep powder with no one else in sight. The slopes never get crowded and the lift lines are beautifully organised. On the gondala lift assistants load you ski's for you in the racks and hand them to you when you get off at the top. I was a slightly nervous intermediate when I went and very quickly became far more confident. Although the slopes are steep the snow is so good - by the end of the two weeks I was skiing blacks.

Try the Four Seasons for lunch - looks gorgeous, is gorgeous but the prices are reasonable and the food is very tasty.

You must ski Sleeping Indian run - one day huge powder bumps that were soft and fluffy enough to ski through/fall into and the next day beautifully pisted. We had snow and sun every day - just perfect.

Can't wait to go back - the only downside is the three flights there but it is well worth it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mangy Moose is a must for apres ski. Dinner good, too.
Sushi at the restaurant at Inn at Jackson Hole also very good.

Targhee worth a day at least. Take the shuttle so you can relax after (hopefully) a great powder day. I had my best inbounds day ever at Targhee. Untracked pow every run.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The JH ski school used to offer a 'Ski Meister' 4-day programme for their top level clients....lots of off-piste. Arrived there when the temp was +17C(mid-March) with pools at the loading stations...3 days later it had dropped to -5C and we got a huge dump so our instructor suggested Targhee where the snow rippled as we eased our way through the abundant powder.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went to JH first time 1985 a couple of times in the 90's. Must be about time for another visit !
The skiing can be legendry on Powder days but be warned in the spring ie; March the lower half of the mountain becomes Potato Puree . Basically you lose half the vertical.
I stayed down in JH on all occasions in some real cheap Motel as it was fairly boring in the Village and most Hotels were geared to rip-off European Tourists. Apres is centralised around the Mangey Moose in the Village.
Nearly everynight/morning we used to eat down LeeJays Diner in downtown JH.
The town hill of Snow King offers some good steeps .
Grand Targhee is good on a Powder Days but so is anywhere Happy Did a couple days of Cat Skiing over there but back then it was cheap ie; $10 a day !! Not sure if it still exists but checkout Jackson Hole Helicopter Skiing that takes you tosome amazing places !
We enjoyed the Nightlife the first time but the country theme kind of wore off on following visits . Its not comparable to Colorado resorts for Apres.
I hope its improved now to cater for all tastes .
I,ve heard they have improved the lift system ( It needed it ).

Hope it helps

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 9-02-12 17:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead stanton
ski holidays
I think we should also add a welcome to QCB and amanda as well as stanton snowHead
snow report
Dude

hasn't Stoaty just gone there ? maybe he can help Very Happy

Ok Bye
snow report
Voice of Treason, if you got something to say about JH, start your own thread instead of reviving a 7 year old one. rolling eyes

By the way, dude, you're copying the sig of snowpetral, unless you two are the same.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy