Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poster: A snowHead
Went to Livigno a couple of weeks back and told myself I would land a 360. I'm a reasonably competent skiier and Livigno was my 7th week. I can land 180s and switch 180s off all kinds of jumps. Tried the 360 about 10 times one afternoon and managed perfect 270s everytime bar the last when i only made it round about 200 and gave myself a minor whiplash so had to retire the idea till the next holiday.
The kicker was about 3-4 ft high and i was taking good speed and getting good flight.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get those elusive final 90 degrees? Im off to LDA at Easter and really want to nail it then. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have u practised on a trampoline (without skis !) ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't say that I have, that would be fun though! I can land a 360 jumping in boots but not skis. When stationary I can only get the skis round about 220 degrees or so when I jump.

Trampolining is the answer?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in the same position as you, trying to get that elusive 360. I've since bought my sons a large trampoline and have been getting more and more confident at rotating on that, I'll let you know if it pays dividends when I try it on skis.

Also, focus on an object in front of you before you jump, keep that object in vision as long as possible then you have a better feel of where you are in the air.

Hey, I'm no expert, bruises to prove it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a childhood trampoliner . . . that would be a great idea, wonder why I didn't think of it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As I say, I bought it for my kids Toofy Grin (oh yeah)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of the summer snowboard camps in Tignes have a big trampoline for the afternoons when the slopes are shut.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
focus on point downhill, wind up approaching take off, launch, spin head/ body round, move focus round to spot again, legs and feet follow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am only looking to attempt a 180. As a total beginner I am following this thread with interest.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
180 is fairly easy, you can do it while standing

only thing is you need to be able to ski backwards

if you can ski backwards then try jump / twist bottom half / land /ski
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Daehwons, thanks for the input, do you think taking more speed/air would make it easier?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
best off with a small jump low speed (about a foot of air and just enough speed to take off and travel just past the jump)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would it be easier to take off switch and land facing forwards?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
Would it be easier to take off switch and land facing forwards?

yes if your good at switch, but that is only 180 anyhow.

maybe try without skiis, on snow with boots holding poles and imagine yourself skiing upto a jump(focus on point ahead), feet together, bend knees, wind up oposite way(1/4 turn), jump up, start to unwind, as your turning feet in air refocus on point ahead and feet will follow(although you need to keep them in control and together). If you can land with feet in same position as takeoff you are on the way to actually landing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa, I find it much easier to take off forwards and land switch, but I'm sure others might be the opposite.
ski holidays
daehwons, Hehehe - I figured that I might be better at starting with the little half spins first Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Practice in a pipe, just a simple 180 ( take off and land forward ) you dont have to come out of the pipe! gravity will pull you from the side wall, Im simular to youelement, 180 fairly easy now, but the 360 just wont get round, ive been watching alot of people do it and noticed they kinda start turning before leaving the jump, so in away hitting the take off at a slight angle is half the work done, but is this cheating?
I also noticed that people seem to rotate the top half of the body using the arms, then hopefully the rest follows! Shocked
ski holidays
Liam, As long as your skis don't pop off leaving you to drill yourself into the snow Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I got it this holiday!

Here are a couple of wee videos of the first go and the second go.

The main thing that worked for me was being told by a really good swedish skiier that it was all in my head. It was a much more subtle movement than i thought. Standing up a bit straighter in the air seems to help, less pop and less sucking up of the legs.

attempt 1 - crash

http://youtube.com/v/e8iitjPDc-Y

attempt 2 - success!

http://youtube.com/v/mtdCDMqYPDo
snow conditions
Scarpa, Set your bindings high, and hope if you do fall you dont break your legs Puzzled Ouch Laughing

element, Well done, a bit more practice and you'll be laughing!
ski holidays
element wrote:

attempt 1 - crash

http://youtube.com/v/e8iitjPDc-Y

attempt 2 - success!

http://youtube.com/v/mtdCDMqYPDo

I'm still working on 180's - crash

http://youtube.com/v/U4Sh7YzDbh4

Success

http://youtube.com/v/EzBfVhxLTpo

I've not got around to trying 360's but fancy a go.

LiamNot sure about winding up my bindings. Probably better winding them down a bit - depending on your usual setting, so that they do come off in a fall ?
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, What i meant was that the pressure that will be put on the binding if landing a bit sideways, may force the binding to release even though you haven't fallen over.
latest report
Hi Guys, awesome to see British skiers going for it with the freestyle. Looked at the chat and thought I might be able to give you guys a link to something we do in Saas-Fee every summer. It's called the British Freeski Camps (www.britishfreeskicamps.com) and it's been going since 2002. Myself and my mate Pat Sharples set the camps up with the idea of offering specific Freeski coaching for recreational, aspiring pro's and professional freeskiers. The coaching covers the basics of freestyle, 180's, 360's, grabs etc, learning rails, kickers, 1/2 pipe, 1/4 pipe, moguls, skier cross and freeride.

We get guys and girls rocking up who have never been in a park before and want to learn basics, skiers that want to ski safe in the snowpark, skiers that want to learn freestyle so they can add it onto there freeskiing and big mountain skiing. There is also training for skiers in the Skier Cross course and in the mogul zip lines. It's nice because it brings the British freeskiing community together and in a relaxed atmosphere lets the recreational skiers train with the pro's (although obviously not in the same groups).

The ages that we get are 8 years old to 62 (oldest one to date so far) year old. Check out the website for the full info but I can totally recommend it if it's freestyle skiing your looking for. My coaching team consists of me, Pat Sharples, Andy Bennett, Paddy Graham, Dave Young, Mike Wakefield, Nick Southwell, Phil Hopper and many of the guys from the British Freestyle Team competing in FIS World Cup events.

Good luck with the freestyle. It's so good for your balance that it actually improves your overall skiing.

All the best,

Warren Smith
Head Coach - British Freeski Camps
www.britishfreeskicamps.com
ski holidays
Liam wrote:
david@mediacopy, What i meant was that the pressure that will be put on the binding if landing a bit sideways, may force the binding to release even though you haven't fallen over.

For sure it's tricky to get right. The trouble is what works OK when going fast is going to be less effective if you take a tumble at a slower speed (?).
latest report
Don't try to spin off of the jump when you first do them I found it threw me off balance then id land on my side. Just comit to it with speed. I got backflips down before 360s, once you start going for 5's/7's then learn to spin off the jump I just learnt 5's and still dont really spin off of the jump.
ski holidays
Looking at videos, good to see people trying the old tricks.....with the 360 maybe try it off a bigger jump, and pop a bit more off the lip. Will give you more time to control your rotation. Big slow 3's always look the best.
latest report
lovethepiste wrote:
Looking at videos, good to see people trying the old tricks.....with the 360 maybe try it off a bigger jump, and pop a bit more off the lip. Will give you more time to control your rotation. Big slow 3's always look the best.

Thats the plan for next time Very Happy
snow report
I'm surprised noone has mentioned to really look where you are spinning as i think this is the key when learning to spin. As you pop off the jump yuo really do need to look hard over your shoulder in the direction you want to spin - your body and skis will follow. It might not look quite as cool as a big super slow spin but you can work on those later. If you need to slow the spin down you can extend your bopdy a bit but to start with, you will probably be looking to get round as quich as poss.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good point, how hard you look over your shoulder determines how fast you spin....when you get more practise you can control this depending on how fast you need to rotate.... at the end of the day easy saying it on a computer but you just have to go out there and try it!!

First time I tried a 360, my bindings were too loose. both skis ended up flying off, and I landed perfectly on two feet. Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy