Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How would I know if I need stiffer boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an agressive skier, and I've got a bit of weight behind me as well. At the moment, at the end of a days skiing, I get some swelling at the front of my ankle, dorsal aspect of my foot, around the anterior edge of the tibio-talar joint. When I'm skiing it feels as if that although my foot is held firmly in place in the shoe of the boot without heel lift, my lower leg is collapsing forward in the boot cuff.

My boots are five years old now, so I think that I need some new ones, but is this suggestive that I might get on better with a stiffer boot?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, It could point towards a stiffer boot, but also fatigue or wrong in volume.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, it's not fatigue. It's when I'm driving forward and flexing my ankles in my boots, it just doesn't feel as if there is enough support at the front.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so, IMVHO, your not short of money, your boots are 5 years old, you have improved a fair bit since then, and you want to defend your crown at the EOSB.

Sorry, what was the question again Wink

regards,

Greg (1am where I am, after a glass or 2, so a bit tongue in cheek)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, you need green boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer,
I think SMALLZOOKEEPER, could mean boot fatigue rather than user fatigue?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, doh! Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In that case it could well be. I've had to tighten all the clips on them considerably for the past couple of trips. So time for some new one then. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, You're starting to sound like a shop i know of. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, well, what WORKS for one FOOT might not work for another...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, No, not ours. There are other shops whom do seem suspisiously fond of such boots, no matter what shape the foot. Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Wot you saying???? Green boot on one foot and orange on the other?????

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Wot you saying???? Green boot on one foot and orange on the other?????

Toofy Grin

If you are Irish and want to remain neutral, then yes!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, You could pretend to be a beginner then hire some for a day....your old boots will seem fine after that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I read somewhere that the difference in stiffness between a softer boot and a stiffer boot is in the lateral flex rather than fore/aft.

Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, how much difference in fore/aft flex is there?
Also, how is it measured?

The guy from Nordica at the Birmingham Show told me that the Nordica and Salomon boots' stiffness ratings were compatible but other manufacturers ratings were on a different scale...just to confuse things further.
snow conditions
Kramer, I get early morning stiffness but I found a copper bangle does the trick wink
latest report
Smokin Joe, for a minute there, I thought you were going to make a joke about Snowbird...
snow conditions
hellfiresliding, The Standard test is now being implemented for all brands. The Flex test is as follows. The Boot is put into a temperature controled envirionment, 22 degrees. the boot is closed around a mechanical leg, clips set at medium setting with the stock liner. The Boot is then flexed through 10degrees(angle), 30,000 times. The energy used to complete the test is then divided by 30,000 times. The resistance to this energy is calculated in Newtons and the flex rating is given, ie 130 etc. Differing types of plastic will offer different resitancies at different temperatures. Polypropylene being worst effected, Poly-Ester less so and Poly-Ether marginally. A Poly-Ester ski boot will become 5 times stiffer between +15 degrees and -15 degrees (average), making a boot with a flex resistance of 100kn, 500kn!
Flex does not accomodate weight, speed traveled or height and therefore is subjective. Do not use this as a guide as to your ability or needs. A big fat beginnner may need a stiffer boot than a light weight expert. Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, why have they chosen such a high temp (22deg) to do the test at if the plastics are affected so much by the cold?
Wouldn't it be more relevant to do the testing at a temp that's more likely to be skied in?
snow report
FenlandSkier, at a guess, it's cause it's easier to keep a room heated to 22C at any time of the year, than it is to keep it cooled to 0.
snow report
FenlandSkier, Yes, i guess. But i belive it is optimum temp for the elasticity of the plastics. Plastics are/have not yet been made specifically for ski boots, those that have been made with cold temperatures in mind are too expensive for our tiny market. There are the equivelent of 60 pairs of ski boots in a Peugeot 106! So plastics come expensive! The other reason is that you test them and try them at room temperature, so the plastic needs some give and resistance, here the plastic is at it's optimum temperature and so pleases the user.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I guess any rating of any ski equipment is a very rough guide. I learned on K2 Axis Pro skis then recently tried a pair of K2 5com and thought they felt very soft and bendy despite being advertised as suitable for good intermediates and advanced skiers. I am 6'1" and around 86kg (depending if it's before or after lunch wink ) I'm often surprised when skis that are aimed at advanced users feel ok or even soft to me and I reckon I'm an intermediate.

Sorry Kramer....this has nothing to do with your boots! Smile
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Just read your note about boot testing again.....does the mechanical leg arrangement flex the boot both laterally and fore aft?

Also, I wonder how things like Salomon Xwaves will be rated since they claim to have different stiffness on the outside and inside faces with that honeycomb pattern. Puzzled
latest report
hellfiresliding, Resistance is tested Fore AFT. Lateral stiffness will be at almost 100%. The Space frame of which you speak is a Clog modification alowing lower resistance to the uphill ski edge. Ski boots will not be rated laterally as high speed edge transmission can change from turn to turn on any skier. Cuff alignment can be used to effect transmission and response.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy