Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots aligned and/or balanced - what's all that about...

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this should be under bend ze knees or equipment as this could be relevant to both.

Now what I want to get a handle on is this - is this worth doing or just another way of saying, 'nah mate, it's not your dodgy technique making you ski like Bambi on ice, you need to get your self aligned and balanced', i.e. more money in the pockets of those offering this with no real benefit when you can ski OK.

Up to now I have been in the camp that if you have reasonable technique and/or a willingness to learn/practice then you will be able to progress. Trouble is, the older I become, I have started to appreciate that making life easier where possible is better than my previous attitude of if you don' have to work for it, it ain't worth having.

Seeing as I am currently in the US or A where there seem to be more people offering this kind of service, I would be interested in your thoughts on the subject.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Uh-oh. Can opener time approaching.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SHello, if you are taking lessons, ask your instructor. (his advice will be free)
What resort/area are you in?

My take on it is that technique can compensate (or mask) problems that could be dealt with better if the boots were set up properly. This may mean you are limiting or slowing your progress, or making extra work for yourself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, Laughing

SHello, Check-out: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=264437&highlight=campbell+balancer#264437
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SHello, I've had mine aligned and believe it helps.

If I believe it helps, then it must do.

In other words, it may just help me ski better between my ears.

But I think it does help.

wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Aligning your boots will help if you have alignment issues. Otherwise it's purely down to practice... Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, don't tend to do more than the odd few hours instruction here and there these days and wanted to hear about experiences of fellow snowHead Instructors are still individuals and have opinions like the rest of us. Don't know why, but I seem to value the opinions of those here over an instructor I know nothing about.

As far as the resort is concerned, after I've finished the business I have to attend to I will be heading for Tahoe City (North Shore) and plan to do a day at Alpine Meadows, Squaw (will try and say hello to Squawski while I'm there) and probably Sugar Bowl on route back to San Franciso.

marc gledhill, I know where you are coming from and as you say, if you BELIEVE it makes a difference... Being an engineer I tend to want to know more than just relying on the fluffy stuff I have between my ears wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What makes me giggle is that people will argue endlessly about a 0.5 base bevel or 0.7 base bevel or 1.0 base bevel, and not realise that their alignment is out by 2 deg..........
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SHello, there is a guy called Jim Schaffner at Start Haus in Truckee, which is near to where you are at the moment. He came very highly recommended by the instructors at NASTC when I did a course with them three years ago. The course was a three day thing with evening lectures on ski biomechanics, alignment, equipment and so on and all the guys who were teaching on the course recommended him for boot alignment. Have a look at the website www.starthaus.com No personal experience with him but the NASTC guys seemed to be on the ball both in terms of skiing ability and knowledge
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have personal experience with StartHaus' work and can second that recommendation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BGA, comprex, thanks for that.

To get a feel for the local conditions and help determine any before/after effects, I will ski most of tomorrow and then have an appointment with StartHaus late afternoon to be aligned/balanced before the next day's skiing. I will report back if I can feel any differences - so seeing as this might be adding fuel to the debate, get those fire extinguishers ready Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight wrote:
What makes me giggle is that people will argue endlessly about a 0.5 base bevel or 0.7 base bevel or 1.0 base bevel, and not realise that their alignment is out by 2 deg..........

Cool Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SHello, forgot to say, if your skis need servicing the servicing guys at Start Haus are really good. They serviced two sets of mine and gave me a tutorial on how to do it at the same time. And a free beer! Judging by the number of 200cm Atomic DH skis they had in the workshop they seem to do work for every ski racer in California. That said it was the free beer that swung it for me
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BGA wrote:
.....They serviced two sets of mine and gave me a tutorial on how to do it at the same time. And a free beer!.....

I'm happy to give my customers tea & biccies but I draw the line at beer Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
BGA wrote:
.....They serviced two sets of mine and gave me a tutorial on how to do it at the same time. And a free beer!.....

I'm happy to give my customers tea & biccies but I draw the line at beer Twisted Evil

You could stock some US beer for the purpose. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Razz NehNeh Twisted Evil
latest report
comprex, Good idea. Utah beer would be ideal as the punters could still drive home wink
ski holidays
IIRC it was a bottle of dark beer from a local microbrewery. Quite pleasant for American beer. Looks like you need to raise the bar a bit spyderjon Very Happy
latest report
BGA wrote:
IIRC it was a bottle of dark beer from a local microbrewery. Quite pleasant for American beer. Looks like you need to raise the bar a bit spyderjon Very Happy

That'd be the Poligamy Bitter from the microbrewery in Park City - pretty good & I especially like their advertising slogan off "take some home for the wives". Normal Utah beer is limited to max 3.2% strength. And you still get the hangover but with none of the effect rolling eyes .
ski holidays
comprex, BGA, spyderjon, sitting here drinking a local brew as I type, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 5.6% and not half bad - I can even taste it wink

As promised, here is an update. I skied at Squaw yesterday to find my legs again and get a feel for the condition which I have to say were pretty good - a little hard first thing but soft softened up. Off the hill around 2:00pm and up to Truckee to find Starthaus and my pre-arranged appointment.

The process consisted of making sure the soles of my boots were flat with no high spots making them rock, putting them on and then getting me to stand on a plate whilst they worked out the vertical alignment of lower legs via my feet in relation to the centre point of me knees. As it turns out, my right leg was spot on but my left leg was canted outwards, all worked out but placing various shims under foot until the legs were the same. Once this was worked out, the necessary shims/plates were fitted to the soles of my boots and the top of the lugs that engange with the bindings machined to fit - all in the process took around an hour or so.

So off to Alpine today with eager anticipation. Condition wise it was again hard this morning, perfect bewteen 10ish and lunch and a bit to very mushy in the afternoon. Was my skiing any better, could I tell a difference? Hard to say for sure but there was certainly no degradation and I felt I was skiing pretty well, had plenty of grip regardless of the changing conditions and always felt in control. Will have to wait and see when back on my own turf in Europe but on the evidence of today, it has certainly not done my skiing any harm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy