Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reporting in from Garmisch

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. Had a right palaver getting out here with a cancelled easyjet flight... anyhow, made it at last.

Snow ok on Sun above 1400m, 6 inches fresh powder Mon morning and we were only ones on it for half an hour - bliss.

Nightmare this morning. Absolute frozen solid pistes. Had to resort to early hot choc & rum to let pistes soften. Didn't really work. High wind shut lifts too, stopping us getting to other bits. Glacier tomorrow in desperation... Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, hope things improve for you Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="carled"]
Quote:
Glacier tomorrow in desperation... Sad

Enjoy the cable car rides Toofy Grin

They make the fight scene from 'Where Eagles Dare' look tame Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled, I'd be interested to hear how you get on on the glacier. I am thinking of driving down there on Thursday. Cheers. Mike
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from glacier... as Stewart said, an... interesting ride indeed. But as there was something approaching half a foot of fresh powder on the slopes and about 2ft of fresh-ish if you went a bit further off-piste. We found that by cutting over from a t-bar we had access to an unpisted red run with loads of soft, dry fresh powder on it... absolutely blissful for a couple of hours before visibility deteriorated too far.

So, Mike Lawrie, go for it. Weather conditions are meant to be a bit dubious tomorrow though! We'll probably be back up there tomorrow anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carled, sounds good. It's going to be Friday now. Weather forecast for tomorrow is for more snow turning sunny in the afternoon. and Friday is sunny, so hard decision I don't think.
Have Fun.
Mike.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucked out again. Nasty-looking weather this morning kept people away from the Zugspitze. We braved it and the conditions cleared up. Very cold, high windchill, but it had snowed again a half foot or so last night, so fresh dry powder everywhere all day and hardly anyone up there but us to enjoy it! Hurrah! snowHead

Not sure what to do tomorrow. Clear night tonight, so little chance of anything other than all-round icy conditions, methinks...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went up the Zugspitze for a few hours today. Unbelievable weather. The view from the top is just fantastic. Managed to lay down some ( lots of ) tracks, but I guess you got the best of it yesterday. Considering that they usually have at least one meter more snow at this time of year I was surprised at how good the off piste was. It's really a nice little area as long as you stay away from it at the weekends. The other resorts round the back of the Zugspitze at Ehrwald, Lermoos and Biberwier are worth a visit as well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for the info Mike. We were up there on the Friday again and also still finding fresh tracks (most of them to the left of the Weisses Tal t-bar, dropping over the edge into the bowl that leads down to the wetterwandecklifte 1& 2 t-bars. Bit of a hike back out at the end, but glorious powder even after lunch on Friday if you traversed a bit!)

Powder definitely best on the Weds, still good on Thursday but hard to find on Friday. Loved the Zugspitze area, but my, did it get busy on the Friday! Wouldn't have liked to see it much busier than that and I bet it gets mental at peak times... Classic area of Garmisch needs largely bulldozing and starting again (apart from the excellent Kandahar). The Hausberg 6-seater is a good lift, but once conditions deteriorate, it gets too busy. Alpspitze also has a couple of interesting runs, but I can't believe that to get there from Kreuzeck you have to go right down to the valley (on cable car in these conditions) then back up the cable car to that area! A link back, but no lift into it.

Our apartment owner said it was the worst conditions she's ever seen in her whole life in Garmisch for this time of year... great timing by my group once more...rolling eyes She also said they are trying to radically overhaul the area in time for the 2011 world cup, as long as the green party stopped interfering with all their plans!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
carled,
Quote:
Alpspitze also has a couple of interesting runs, but I can't believe that to get there from Kreuzeck you have to go right down to the valley (on cable car in these conditions) then back up the cable car to that area! A link back, but no lift into it.
Usually there is a connection from Kreutzeck to Alpspitze via the Längenfelderbahn, but I guess it's not working at the moment: Like the lady said these are the worst conditions ever. When conditions are OK there is some really nice off piste around the Alpspitze, but you have to be careful not to ski off the edge of a cliff Shocked
When things look a bit busy I always drive the extra 15 minutes round to Ehrwald and go up to the Zugspitze from that side. Zero wait going up and zero coming back down again on Friday, whereas the German side had an hour wait to get back down again! I would just avoid the whole area at the weekends cos it does get mental sometimes Sad

My other fave haunt around there is the Dammkar in Mittenwald, but unfortunately that's not even been open yet this year Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy