Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendations in US for Ski Honeymoon in Feb next year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've managed to pursuade my fiance that Feb is a really good time to get married so we can have a skiing honeymoon. We're used to going to france, mainly the espace Killy and the three valleys so weve been a bit spoilt. I understand that US resorts are quite different in that you often have to drive to the ski area from the nearest town. Are there any US resorts that anyone can recommend that are similar in setup to the likes of Val D'Isere in terms of being able to ski into the resort, and the resort having a good atmosphere to it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lower, I'd suggest:
Whistler (yes, I know it's in Canada, but it is most like a Euro resort in both the positives and the negatives)
Vail
Breckenridge
Aspen
Jackson Hole
Park City

I think your understanding of US resorts may be slightly out, but nevermind - there are plenty of resorts where you stay where you ski, but the ones listed above probably have better night life than the likes of Snowbird, Winter Park, Big Sky, etc
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lower, N.American skiing is different from Euro skiing, and it would be a mistake in my view to go there looking for a Euro experience. You'll have no difficulty in finding something which will be at least as enjoyable as, but different from, Espace K or the 3V. I don't think that you'll find ski areas as large as EK or 3V, but size doesn't matter (tip; remember that line for your honeymoon).

Wear The Fox Hat's list looks pretty good (I've no personal experience of Whistler, Park City or JH, more's the pity), except that I found the town of Vail utterly ghastly (but to each his own, and the skiing is great). Breckenridge town is very high, and quite a few people have altitude problems.

I'd add Banff, my favourite place. It's got great atmos, it's in a beautiful location, bags of character (for a ski resort). It's not ski to door (although there is a solitary hotel at the ski base, inaccesible outside lift hours, could be quite good for a few nights on honeymoon), but the journeys from the town to the 3 nearest hills are about 5/10 mins (Mt Norquay - small but varied and interesting), 15 mins (Sunshine) and 30/40 mins (Lake Louise) of pleasant driving. There other places within reach, including Kicking Horse. Tooling about to different spots can be a pleasant part of the hol. There are some very good hotels in Banff, including the ever popular Banff Springs which could be a good choice for a honeymoon, depending on taste.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 13-02-07 19:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lower, Would highly recommend Whistler - went there on my honeymoon - couple of nights in Vancouver, 10 days in Whistler and quick week in the Caribbean to top it off .... nice Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lower, I agree that Wear The Fox Hat's list is good, but one other place you may care to consider is Heavenly at South Lake Tahoe. It usually has plenty of snow, although since its lower than the Colorado resorts you won't any altitude problems. You used to have to take a short ski shuttle bus from the main town area to the foot of the slopes, but I believe recently a gondola link has been put in place between the town and the ski slopes. The skiing and scenery are great, and there are several other resorts around the lake you can visit for a day, such as Squaw Valley.
See also this thread
It's also just a few hours from San Francisco, a few days there are well worthwhile either at the start or end of your trip. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lower, I can only vouch for Whistler on WTFH's list and that's where we went our honeymoon along with a couple of nights in Vancouver. We stayed at the Chateau which was rather special - champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate in our room when we arrived. However, it's not as convenient as say the Westin or the Pan Pacific which are both at the base of Whistler Mountain with easy access to Blackcomb as well. You can't get much closer to the lifts if you stay in either of these hotels.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the comments above. I'm not expecting to find the Espace K or the 3 valleys in the US, but would like the similar conveniance of the ski back to the resort, and the resort atmosphere you get in these areas.

Isn't Whistler supposed to be seriously cold at that time of year? Altitude is a problem for me. I struggle to sleep at 1850+m and get nose bleeds when i'm staying in Tignes which is only a few hundred metres higher so i suspect i would suffer more in a high altitude US resort even more. I'll have to check the altitudes for all of these.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lower, Whistler village is at about 675m so no altitude problems there and being in the coastal range it never usually gets as cold as the likes of Lake Louise or Banff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lower, the atmos in N.American resorts is (obviously) different from Europe, and if you want ski to door, be sure that you're not staying in what is essentially a dormitory for the slopes, such as Panorama in Canada, which has less atmos than Pluto. Wear The Fox Hat's list is good from that point of view.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lower, if altitude is an issue then Whistler is really the only option from my original list. Everything else is well about 2,500m (from memory). As for cold, again, Whistler is possibly the warmest of the list, but you can expect that on a cold day it will be colder up top than many European resorts. You just dress appropriately.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jackson Hole is around 18-1900m I think, lots of attractive honeymoon style scenery around as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar, good point, I forgot about it being low.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
honeymoon style scenery

? The mind boggles a bit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lower - I'd go with Richmond'a advice re Banff. Two great snowsure resorts in Sunshine and Lake Louise and the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel is perfect for a honeymoon.

Great skiing in America although Apres ski scene is (with some exceptions) more sedate than in Europe. Utah ski resorts are particularly tame, primarily due to alcohol laws.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paul100 wrote:
Utah ski resorts are particularly tame, primarily due to alcohol laws.

Yep, I tell that story too. Also, there's never any good snow there - it's always icy, and the lift lines are unbelievable...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy