Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scandinavia for advanced skiers

monster77
monster77
Can anyone recomend anywhere in Sweden or Norway that is worth a visit for a pair of advanced (ability not age) skiers.
we are looking more at off piste skiing than piste cruising.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi monster,

i've been in hemsedal in december. It was quite ok, a little small (like everywhere in scandinavia) but with some challenging reds and blacks and lot of off piste The snow can get extremely hard though, so you have to be a little lucky with fresh snow, otherwise due to the climate it becomes very solid. Voss, one hour away from Bergen (WONDERFUL city) is supposed to be quite a nice spot as well, with some big amounts of snow falling sometimes. Especially in the resort half an hour further from it; Voss, Myrkdalen
More up north is a very interesting and very well accesible area: Narvik (www.skinarvik.no). Small, but according to the experts very steep with lots of off piste. Also riksgransen in sweden was a hot spot some years ago.
Further check this website: skiinfo.no and google around for other resorts in sweden that are very nice in april etc (Abisko, tarnaby are very small, but for the real skiers very cool), the midnight sun must be great to ski under.

Good luck
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have at least 7 internationally-known stations to choose from in Norway and Sweden.

Hemsedal is the biggest in Norway. It has roughly 50km of slopes.

Are is the largest in Sweden, with around 100km of runs.

Are is generally recognized as being the most sophisticated allround resort in Scandinavia.

But Hemsedal probably has the toughest on- and off-piste terrain. It has a handful of tasty couloirs.

You will probably ski out both resorts in just 3 - 4 days. Don't expect a Chamonix- or Verbier-type off-piste wonderland.

But they are definitely worth a tick in the box.

On balance, I would pick Hemsedal.

Don't forget to report back Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hemsedal in Norway is notorious for Drunk Nowegians.

Skiing not bad though Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Hemsedal in Norway is notorious for Drunk Nowegians.

Skiing not bad though Very Happy

I think the Danes (of which there were lots when I was there last year) give the Norwegians a good run for their money on the drunkeness stakes Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Took the head staggers and booked a long weekend (last weekend) at Hemseal at 4 days notice.

Was pleasantly surprised at the extent of the skiing, but were really quite fortunate with the snow. On Friday it was grey and overcast. It was also blowing a gale at the top of the mountains so all the snow had blown away leaving clear "boilerplate" ice all round the place. However once you were out of the wind, the pistes were reasonably well tended and quite enjoyable, if a little narrow.

A day of fresh powder - yes it was powder, crisp and light, unlike what I was expecting - made all the difference on Saturday. When the sun came out on Sunday, you could see where you were going and the world was your oyster. A couple of lovely reds in the middle of the ountain that would credit any resort in Europe and some runs low down on the mountain that had earned their double black status. Off piste seemed expansive , and the topography meant that cornices weren't really an issue, so you could venture more or less anywhere.

Found some nice spots we kept going back to, but you really could ski it out in 3 or 4 days. If you're there Fri - Sun like we were, buy a 1 day pass for Fri and then a weekend ticket that allows you to ski Friday night as well as Sat & Sun.

We did it all indepentently and hired a car. The roads were fine, although the road from Gol to Geilo was closed on Thu night - not sure why. Everyone, but everyone, speaks English, in fact we heard Danes & Germans usineg English as a common language.

Well worth a visit! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy