Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote Controlled 'Copter to Rescue Everest Climbers

Poster: A snowHead

An unpiloted helicopter that will function as an air ambulance on the highest mountain in the world is being developed in New Zealand. Tests on the aircraft will begin in April 2007 in the Southern Alps (NZ) and around Mount Everest in January 2008.

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn11166-remotecontrolled-copter-to-rescue-everest-climbers.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
realistically, how is this going to work? the virtual reality environment that will allow it to be "piloted" is all very well but i can't see it being as accurate as it will need to be. i can also see it malfunctioning alot. given that alot of people get into distress when bad weather suddenly closes in i can't see this copter being a great deal of use. i had heard that russel brice was behind this and given his "involvement" in one of last year's tragedies it strikes me as a way to try and publicly wipe the slate clean. other climbers are often capable of carrying out the rescues themselves: they just choose not to.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First of all, it'll be delivered with no batteries, and the first time they need to use it they'll be up the road to the newsagents. Then they'll play and play and play with it, and next time they need to use it - the batteries will be dead. It'll never fly.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 14-02-07 18:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It appears to sport a forward-facing maching gun. Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Remote aircraft are the future of military and civil aviation.

Reliable civil models are years away, but that is the general thrust of where the industry is headed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
apparently the only thing preventing massive technical advancements in millitary aviation, is man being unable to fly them
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If something like with Taranis is thought feasible, the helicopter project may not be too unlikely.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given that unmanned spy planes can be flown by remote opperators using a less sophisticated control system I can see no reason why a remote control helicopter could not be flown in the same way.

Indeed by making the helicopter remote control you can reduce its weight or increase its payload, you also reduce the risk of injury to anyone other than the injured party, it's not a bad idea but I think their two biggest problems will be recovering the casualties and developing the special rotor blades that they will need for the altitude
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
If something like with Taranis is thought feasible, the helicopter project may not be too unlikely.

It's pretty obvious from the 'photos that the Taranis is just a paper 'plane; painting it black doesn't fool anyone. We're not going to win WWIII by being better than everyone else at origami.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the atmosphere at those altitudes thick enough for a 'copter to make enough lift to keep itself in the air?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon wrote:
Is the atmosphere at those altitudes thick enough for a 'copter to make enough lift to keep itself in the air?

Apparently so.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even in the military, unmanned rotorcraft development is way behind any other unmanned air vehicle, quite a few of which are already operational whereas unmanned rotorcarft are seldom used in service if at all.

So I think such a craft is a long way off. I can really see its use in locating casualties, but lifting them off??? Shocked

Any helicopter pilot will tell you how tricky it is to keep comtrol im mountain conditions, the closer to the mountain, the worst with wind /air currents all over the place in good conditions and totally unpredictable in bad weather.

So controlling this craft remotely with no real "feel" for the conditions and hoping to lift some injured climber off seems far fetched to me at this stage...

I'll be happy when they prove me wrong but I am decidedly on the skeptics side on this one... Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seems technically feasible to me. The kevlar loop described in the news article sounds not dissimilar to a rescue strop already used. Usually, this has a crewman descend with it, but it is not essential if the person rescued knows what to do, and has sufficient confidence and physical ability to slip it on. Quite a tall order - but companions could assist - and good publicity might overcome total reliance on instructions through the speaker. Modern sensors and active controls can probably already beat what a pilot can do by physically being present. There is the bijou problem of having confidence in being lifted away in an helicopter with no pilot present, of course ....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unmanned aircraft are the future of the 'battlefield' and billions of $ and £'s is currently being spent on development. 'Bloke in the bar' talks openly about the RAF's future as purely a transport operation Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kruisler, all they need to do is put a feedback unit into the system, the "pilot" would feel the same thing through his controls that he would flying the real thing
snow report
Hi again,

I have no doubt that it will be technically feasible at some point (and not in the next century..) but personally I still feel there is a big step bewteen having the confidence to let such a vehicle fly a payload and the confidence to let it transport humans, especially in such extreme conditions. Confused
I think it will be a completely new ball game for reliability, hardware and software, far from where we are now, to let human be dependant on the machine...
Just my thought...
I am glad people are getting money to look into this though... Smile

And as achilles says, the biggest hurddle might be whether the casualties will trust the machine...
latest report
Kruisler, I can't tell you how technically feasible it would be right now but I will say that I know someone who is working on a similar project and their deadline is not sometime in the next century, the payload that will be being carried won't be alive but the consequences of any crash would or rather could be far more serious.

The technology to carry this sort of thing out already exists, after all you just need to hook up a flight simulator to a bi directional radio control link and Robert may indeed be your mothers brother wink
latest report
Well,

In that case i am glad to be wrong Very Happy

I'd like to see the face of the first casualty when the helicopetr start "talking" to them!! Laughing
snow report
Kruisler, we all trust machines every day - do most people actually know how their car's ABS works ? But I agree that the flying machine without a 'local' pilot could be an interesting experience.
snow conditions
Kruisler, lampbus, agreed I'm not sure what their reactions will be, on the other hand if offered a risky chance of life many will take it when compared to almost certain death
ski holidays
I reckon there's a sound case for this thing in certain scenarios. I think most people are at the limit of their physical capabilities just moving themselves around in the death zone (>8km, or roughly the top vertical km of Everest), and simply aren't able to assist fellow climbers who run into trouble. Being able to radio for this bad boy to pick up somebody who's slipped a few metres and broken a leg could be a genuine lifesaver, and possibly avoid ethical controversies like the David Sharp incident last year.

I think if they can build it, the biggest operating difficulties would be adverse weather and unco-operative evacuees. Having the helicopter blow into the mountainside and slice people up would be rubbish, as would trying to pick up a delerious chap who's trying to swat the 'copter or teach it to sing sea shanties. Assuming the climber still had their wits about them though (and with limited oxygen, it's not a given), I think most would choose the magic carpet ride over waiting for a group of Sherpas and the bumpy ride down. If they were with others the choice would most probably be made for them.

Whether or not the existence of this safety net would encourage yet more inexperienced climbers to charge up Everest is another matter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy