Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in US for 6 weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
We're taking "lifestyle friendly leave" next winter and are looking to spend around 6 weeks skiing in the US. We're looking for somewhere that has extensive skiing but also easy access to other resorts. We've been to Whistler 4 times but never anywhere in the US. An open question - but where would people recommend to enable us to get a variety of skiing / boarding?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have regretably little experience, but I'd guess that Colorado and Utah have the highest resort density. I've always fancied Utah, so that's where I'd go, but that may not be the basis for you to use.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Utah, and maybe drive over to Colorado, or up to Wyoming for a few days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Utah, Colorado and perhaps Wyoming.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Utah, Lake Tahoe, Colorado, in that order.

6 weeks is quite a bit of time. You could split it in two of the above area and still get a lot of snow time in. I would suggest 2 weeks in Tahoe and 4 in Utah. Both area have good variety of terrains.

Although Colorado has a lot of resorts, I'm not a big fan of it. They're all more of less the same type of terrain. So even after driving a couple hours, you don't see anything different. You might as well stay put.

Remember distance in the States are often huge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like I'll be doing some research on Utah then! Thanks for the comments.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Utah is more relaxing than CO and cheaper, out of SLC there is Alta which allows no snowboarders, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, and Deer Valley which costs as much as CO ski resorts. Outside of SLC there is Powder Mtn., and Snowbasin which was heavily upgraded for the olympics and is usually rather empty, no lines. Jackson Hole is close enough you can run over there for a week and if it dumps, there is Targhee, a intermediate powder dream. JH is around a four hour drive from SLC and there is also Sun Valley 5 hours from SLC. Between SLC, JH, and Sun Valley sits one of the meanest little ski hills Pebble Creek which has some of the best off piste I have ever skiied.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suspect season pass pricing might have an influence on your decision - there tend to be very good deals for resorts in a high density near a major city e.g. Lake Tahoe (excl Squaw), Front range Colorado (Breckenridge/Copper/Winter Park etc).

The ultimate is of course the big road trip -start in Denver drive to San Franciso or vice versa but make sur eyou build in enough flexibility to storm chase or sack off an area if snow is poor.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jan, Lucky You - 6 weeks for a skiing holiday sounds great! Toofy Grin
Agree with most of the above suggestions. If you do visit Jackson Hole (great skiing - highly recommended) then as a break from skiing you should consider visiting the nearby Yellowstone National Park - winter is a really special time of year there and the wildlife and scenery are stupendous. You can either go in for the day on Snowmobiles, or (my preference) stay in lodgings at Old Faithful see this link
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would definitely recommend Utah and Wyoming. You even have time to get a little funky and include Idaho and Montana. Sounds like the making of an epic road trip!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends what is important to you and desired accomodations and off-slope activities. And I'd probably not stay in one place for the full 6-weeks. Salt Lake City would be among the least expensive options. Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, Deer Valley, Park City Mountain Resort, and The Canyons would all be within about 45 minutes. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain would be about an hour away. I'm being overly simplistic here, SLC no doubt has some good things going for it but I don't find it especially attractive. If I'm not mistaken, it's about 5 hours from SLC to Jackson Hole and Targee in Wyoming and I would guess the drive to places like Sun Valley Idaho wouldn't be too bad. If you want the feel of a ski resort village in Utah, go to Park City. Summit County CO would be another option. You might look at staying in the Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne area. Frisco is the most resort like and has a nice downtown area. You'd be close to Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin. And only 30-35 miles from Vail/Beaver Creek. And Winter Park would likely be a doable day trip if the roads were clear. And Tahoe would be another option that is relatively proximate to numerous ski areas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RISkier, yes, I've done SLC to JH in about 5 hours. Frisco would be a good base in CO as well.
Perhaps 3 weeks in SLC, 1 in JH and 2 in CO?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat,

I'm in. Oh wait, this thread isn't about me and I don't have 6 weeks of vacation. But your itinerary sounds like a hell of a fun way to waste 6 weeks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RISkier, let's break it down further...
Fly into SLC
2 weeks based in Midvale (possibly at the La Quinta, or Extended Stay), skiing Alta/Bird (maybe a trip to Solitude & Brighton for a day or two), plus a couple of days up to Snowbasin.
1 week based in my apartment in the Canyons - that will give us Canyons/PC/DV

Drive up to JH (since we're on the I-80, take the Evanston turn). 4 days there (or more, depends on conditions, and possibly do Grand Foghee).
Optional drive up to Big Sky. Stay at the Huntley. If we do this, then drive the I-90 - I-25 down to Denver, then take the I-70 up.

If we don't do Big Sky, then head from JH back to the I-80, go down the 789 to Steamboat Springs. From there, head to Winter Park, and then to the I-70.

Now comes the tough bit...
A Basin, Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper, Vail Beaver Creek, Aspen... Which to do, which to leave out...

Finish by flying out of Aspen.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is fantastic information - many thanks! Looks like we might need 12 weeks instead of 6 ! I'd better get planning.
snow report
jan, for 6 weeks, I'd leave out Colorado or Utah. Oh, and you'll need fat skis. And a masseuse.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy