Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Here Comes the Hairdryer

brian
brian
Hasn't been much gloom around here for a while wink

To change that ... Fri/Sat looks like sending a parcel of Saharan air up to create a snow-stripping Foehn across the Western end of the alps and particularly the Pyrenees Sad Sad Sad Sad

However on the bright side, looks like the temps will fall back pretty quickly in the 2nd half of the weekend with some (possibly quite a lot of) new snow falling. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Time for some sand to land on the snow then and turn the pistes orange. Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks guys.....just about got my glass half full for the weekend when you go spilling it all over.

I'll opt for "quite a lot"!

5 more sleeps.......
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian - you really do know how to cheer a bloke up. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Good news about the extra snow though - are you referring to the activity that's showing on GFS around 24th/25th or is another forecast predicting something earlier?
I'm trying to get the hang of reading other models' pressure charts but still can't work out what's good and what's bad for the Alps... despite the best efforts of the snowhead pros to explain rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whats happening on 24/25th??
ski holidays
 brian
brian
frostynutz, no I'm looking at the low trundling along the med about the 19th/20th. Just goes a little bit far South at the moment so pretty much misses all but the French Alpes Maritimes. Could easily be a couple of hundred miles north by the time it happens.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowstorm??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Holy cow bring out the factor 30 that parcel just got 2 days longer!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, I'd missed that one sneaking along the med (been looking too much at the graph showing multiple GFS runs for Chamonix only, forgot the wider picture)- fingers cross it turns north like you say and hope it's cool enough to fall as snow... looks ok at the moment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lads,

Can you see anything positive for Andorra for next week ??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frostynutz wrote:
- fingers cross it turns north like you say

screw that. We need it down here Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Diarmuid wrote:
frostynutz wrote:
- fingers cross it turns north like you say

screw that. We need it down here Very Happy

I'm seconding that ... leave it where it is ... although I fear it may go East
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, could it not just come a teeny-weeny bit further north? Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Well on this morning's run it went South Sad but then split, reinvigorated and came North for a tidy dump Tues/Wed. Very Happy

Looks like this will be a pretty uncertain feature for a few days yet. In the meantime let's hope the Foehn doesn't do too much damage Confused

Last edited by brian on Wed 14-02-07 11:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
brian, Given the last few days, anything could happen with those systems ... but I would bet on the 'Red Sands' ... oh how I hate them and what they do !
snow conditions
brian, from the title of this thread, I'd thought you may of upset Sir Alex Fergeson!
latest report
 brian
brian
Hmmm, we're officially into believe it when I see it territory, the whole of the UK in sub -10 air ?? Polar bears on the Thames !! wink

ski holidays
brian, blimey its back again - saw this on a run a day or so ago and sparked much excitement over on the netweather forums but then I thought it vanished as quickly as it appeared and all the cold lovers there seemed to have sunk into a pit of "mild & wet" atlantic induced depression! As you say a long way off..
latest report
 brian
brian
Bungle, I expect the weather forums are in meltdown just now. Laughing

I'm heading out to La Grave that day, don't think I've enough thermals to cope !!
snow report
brian, just looked - they are though with a good dose of realism being added as well by the more sensible!! I was in Les Arcs in Jan 2005 when a well positioned high and low bought a similar plume of cold air down to the Alps (too far East for the UK) and we had -25c temps on the lifts at Arc 2000 - that was certainly pretty "chilly" with ski instructors pinching kids cheeks every 10 mins for signs of frostbite.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bungle, I was in Serre Chevalier then, I remember how cold it was.
latest report
Helen Beaumont & Bungle, We were in Alpe D'Huez in the middle of that too....MASSIVE dumpdown followed by a MASSIVE deepfreeze....Jaysus considering I'm off to Andorra next week, that time seems lights years ago.
snow conditions
That brings back memories!

In Zermatt, I had a non stop blast down from Italy to the Hennustall for last happy hour orders at around 4.45. At the bottom, found that I'd "left an ear out" and, four beers later, started to worry about the rather large pasta shell growing on the side of my head.

The next couple of days were dodgy, wth the chalet co-habitees taking sweepstakes as to whether the next shade would be red, white or black! Some (lads of course) took it in turns to flick it for that comedy flapping ear effect.

Oh happy days.
latest report
so hows it looking now... Puzzled
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Chris Brookes, the cold completely disappeared on the 18z and then came back with a vengeance on the midnight run. Looking at the early part of 06z I think it'll be there but downgraded a bit.
ski holidays
What does that mean in non gfs speak please?
snow report
 brian
brian
olivercigar, it means that at the moment I would have zero confidence in anybody trying to forecast beyond next Tuesday.

It's going to get bloody cold in Russia and Scandinavia but whether any of that spills West and, if so, how far it will get is anybody's guess at this stage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, But we did get 10-15cm down to about 1400m in the A-M last night ( unfortunately 'tinged' with red ! rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, can you keep us updated on the movement of this
snow report
Agenterre It rained quite heavily last night in Nice and the mountains look quite snowy today but have you any more details? Looking for the best option for Saturday. Any ideas? The webcams are not giving much away
snow report
Diarmuid, Probably no more than you already know. I was hoping to go up this morning but was reminded I have loads to do as I have to go back to the UK for a couple of days .

Isola - tourist office said 15cm at resort and 25 higher ... so being them divide by 2, and snow was 'douce'
Auron - my friend in St Etienne - said 5cm-10 cm -- nice snow but bit warm first thing (0730) - warm was unquantified !
Valberg - Cle des Champs - 5-10cm ( and more up top) and they said it was very cold this morning, which I can believe as it is frequently 3-5 degrees colder than Auron

Didn't speak to anyone else

Sorry I can't give you any more . Auron was in better condition than Isola ( but then you probably knew that ) as of 10 days ago and Valberg was still struggling to open its pistes ! Valberg has subsequently opened Dreccia I was told.
ski holidays
...not sure what direction the hairdryer is coming from, but the temp here was around 4C this morning (slightly above average). It's currently 15C. (only about 10C above where it should be)
snow report
So, in plain English, what does this mean for me, about to arrive in Flaine on Saturday. Is this evil entity going to strip all the snow off the mountains. The graphy thing http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png shows a big monster imminent. Should I be worried? Or is it a matter of too much information that I would normally not have and just wait and see when I get there, as I cannot change what is to become.
snow report
 brian
brian
justacey, no need to panic I don't think. There's no rain forecast and it should be clear at night time and not too windy so the temperature should fall back enough close to the ground for a frost.

Lower S facing slopes are obviously vulnerable but nothing too desperate apart from that. It will certainly feel springlike for anyone skiing tomorrow but should be back to normal by the time you're there.
latest report
justacey, It'll probably mean you'll have a couple of days of t-shirt skiing weather with possibly icy pistes in the morning. Some of the lower runs into Les Carroz and Samoens may suffer in the higher temperatures due to their lower altitude. The main Flaine bowl will be fine if a bit icy first thing and slushy late afternoon.

It's going to be sunny most likely so I reckon you'll have a most pleasant week... snowHead ...unless you're a diehard powder hound in which case you may be disappointed.
snow report
brian, apologies for being a pain but could you do this http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png for Wengen ?

I'm in Edinburgh on the 26th - I'll buy you a pint !!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Bungle, aye we were in la plagne then. I remember Mrs Prog99's gloves sticking to the chirlift... But more so the wonderful snow conditions.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Smokin Joe, that would've been nice, unfortunately I'll be in La Grave !

I think this is the best one for Wengen but unfortunately it's at roughly 7.4 deg E, 46.6 deg N so it kind of falls between the grid points.

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_847_ens.png

This Meteogram is much closer, it's for 7.5 deg E, 46.5 deg N.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_075465_g05.png

The precipitation (there isn't any shown there just now) is shown over 3 hour blocks.

Have a look at this one and you'll hopefully get the idea ...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_015435_g05.png
snow report
Agenterre, Was in Auron today. Pretty shocking conditions. It must have rained during the week, instead of snowing cause the pistes are pretty shot. Icy or bare, take your pick. I think the snow/rain line was around 2000m as we met some cars with snow on the roof on the way up, so potentially Isola2000 was decent. However, Auron had April conditions. and a bad April at that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy