Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the deal with 6-day lift/ski hire for 7 day ski packages?

Poster: A snowHead
No pun intended on 'deal' as this seems a rip-off! Is the last day going to go to waste if one doesn't hire a whole new package for the 7th day?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ridha,
Most packages involve 7 nights with the first and last day spent travelling so you ski for six days. If you can spend one of the days at either end skiing you can get lift passes and ski hire for seven days at only a little more than the six day prices. Tour operator schedules rarely let you do this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ridha, you usually arrive at resort late afternoon on the first day/night, and have another 6 days/nights in resort . Mostly you leave for the airport on the morning of the 8th day.
IF you sort out your own holidays, sometimes you might manage an extra day or two skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can always buy a half day pass if you are in resort early or leaving late.
We normally have an early flight to get there and get an extra afternoon on the slopes. Usually no problem with hire, pick up early, they are glad to get you out before the rush the next morning.
Some resorts allow you to use the 6 day pass on the afternoon of your first day as well as the six days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But with UK to Europe, it's so near that only a few hours of the day are spent travelling. I know for instance that the 8th day is out as our flight is in the morning, but on our 1st day we're arriving at 09:30, and the resort is only 1.5 hours from the airport. So even allowing for 2 hours of getting of waiting for luggage, and booking ski hire once u get to the resort, etc. it's still possible to be on the slopes by 1:00 p.m. Surely most people won't find it acceptable for those hours to just go to waste?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ridha, not everyone wants to ski on the first afternoon, beginners for example. Also ski school starts on the following morning. You will just need to buy yourself a pass for the first afternoon. MY advice would be not to buy the ski package from the tour operator, and sort your own out. Don't forget, although you arrive in the airport at 9.30am, you'll be hanging round waiting for your skis for ages, then waiting on the coach for the next (possibly) delayed flight. You may not leave the airport for a couple of hours after landing like you say. It might snow and take three hours to get to resort. These are all valid reasons for to's not offering 7 day packages.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So in your experience to buy a half-days ski pass/ski hire will it be at the price of the 6-day one divided by 12, or will it be a pretty unattractive rate?

Also, how do u define buying the ski package from the tour operator - my package is with Inghams, and the pass and equipment isn't included, but they say their reps will organise it for us when we get to the resort. If i go up to the counter instead of them can i just organise for 6.5 days?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a standard 7 day package flight holiday I've never managed to hit the slopes the first afternoon. DIY yes (in which case get a 7 day package from lift/hire shop!) but with a tour operator never...
aj xx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just do it yourself the first afternoon ridha - it is cheaper to buy a 7 day pass/hire than 6 days + a half/ one day usually.

That said if it's inghams I'm pretty sure you'll find the coach/hotel checkin takes long enough you don't make it in time...

aj xx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ridha, yep, no reason why not. Half a day may be a bit more than 50% of a full one though. 6-day passes are usually less then the cost of 6 single days. However, if you are skiing a big area with linked villages, why not just get a pass for the village you're staying in ? A half-day (3 hour) pass in Monetier is 23 euros compared to 28 euros for a full day, and 176 euros for a 6 day full area pass.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a.j. wrote:
That said if it's inghams I'm pretty sure you'll find the coach/hotel checkin takes long enough you don't make it in time...

aj xx

Oh no really? I thought Inghams were the main tour operators for skiing? This is my first time going through a tour operator as on other trips i've just been with family or friends whose taken care of the DIY stuff so i don't have much experience of them, but how do they generally rate? i have to admit, i emailed the guy who Lastminute told me was in charge of my package yesterday with some queries and have found him to be fairly unhelpful, bordering on rude. By way of background we're staying at a snow house that offers breakfast. In other b&b's i've stayed in there have always been basic kitchenette facilites available like access to a hob, microwave and fridge which means u can heat up a ready meal or make something simple, instead of having to have every single meal in a restaurant. So i emailed him to check what facilities like this they had, and in a nutshell the answer was none, and if i wanted dinner included i should have gone for a package that included that. (i don't want dinner included, i just want the means to make myself a v. basic dinner.) So it looks like any savings in this holiday will be blown on restaurant prices, as we can't even fix a frigging sandwhich at the accomodation to take with us and eat on the slopes!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ridha, we've never had any problems with Inghams, you should be fine with them. But every B&B I've stayed in has been just that - bed and breakfast, with no cooking or kitchen facilities. For that, you would want an apartment. Whereabouts are you going?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ridha, I haven't been with Inghams but would not expect them to be any different from the others, what I realised from past holidays if that you might look at different brochures etc and select your preferred holiday, but when you get to the airport you're on the same charter flight as everyone else, at the other end there's a line of coaches taking you to the resort and in the resort you may well be staying in the same hotel with other operator's customers, hiring your kit from the same shop and going to the same ski school!

Propably makes more of difference if you stay in a catered chalet or if they have exclusive accomodation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
Ridha, we've never had any problems with Inghams, you should be fine with them. But every B&B I've stayed in has been just that - bed and breakfast, with no cooking or kitchen facilities. For that, you would want an apartment. Whereabouts are you going?

Mayrhofen. I didn't expect a full-scale kitchen, but i thought the floor might have something like a microwave. It looks like at the end of the week i'll either be v. poor (unless someone can tell me about some nice but inexpensive eateries as opposed to restaurants in the area) or v. skinny.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ridha, what I've done in the past when on a tight budget....

Take a kettle with you. Eat out on the mountain at lunch time, and make do with a cup-a-soup/pot noodle for evening meal.
snow conditions
We've never had kitchen facilities in a b&b apart from an occasional French chambre d'hote we booked privately.
ski holidays
Ridha, just to echo a previous comment I've never made it on the slopes on the first day of a package holiday either. Not only do you have to factor in the waiting for your bags but you may also find you're hanging around at the airport for another flight to come in as they usually save on transfer costs by putting people from different flights on the same coach. Then you get the checking-in experience at the hotel and before you know it it's 2 or 3pm and there's not much point in rummaging around in your bags for your ski kit. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Ridha,

There is no "main ski operator", Ingams are just one among many (Crystal, Thomson, Neilson, Inghams, First Choice, Airtours, etc.).

I would think that arriving in Innsbruck for 9:30, you probably will have time for 2-3 hours of skiing in Mayrhofen (the lifts close at 4:30PM), although you would be lucky to be ready to ski much before 2:00PM. I have managed some skiing in the afternoon of arrival occasionally, but not often.

While it is usually cheaper to buy a 7 day lift pass than a 6 day plus a half day, that does not appear to be the case for Mayrhofen, because the only 6/7 day passes available are for the whole Zillertal Superski area (172 euros for 6 days, 193 for 7 days), while the half day passes are available for the Mayrhofen area (18.50 Euros valid from 2:00PM). Only 2.50 Euros difference, but it is cheaper.

As for cooking facilities in a B&B, you will find that is very rare indeed in ski hotels. For future reference, if you want to make your own food, go self catering. In this case, you should be able to find places serving food at under 10 Euros (excluding drinks), so if the total cost per person for the B&B was £40 less than half board would have been, you will still be saving, just not as much as you had hoped.
snow conditions
I've twice managed skiing on arrival day with a package holiday - in Flaine 3 years back we arrived at 3pm and were out on the slopes at 3.30, and this year we arrived in Tignes at 2.30 and were out by 3. Both times though as we have our own hgear we were able to just hit the slopes - and we didn't bother with a lift pass, just ised the free lifts

it only works if you have ridiculous 6am flight times though, and although it sounds great it isn;t as you end up leaving resort at stupid o'clock for the return trip
snow report
sorry didn't mean to scare you Ridha, Inghams are indeed a big and reputable operator but like many, from my memory, they operate rather convoluted transfers with lots of waits and stops. That said with a 9.30 flight I guess on the slopes by 2pm is possible if you are dedicated about it - I'm just too laidback to want to rush hiring gear, passes etc especially after a what must be a 5am or so flight to arrive at 9.30am austrian time? After that little sleep 'd be a danger to myself and others anyway! i genreally go for the later flight to get the extra sleep at the other end!

aj xx
ski holidays
Lol, it feels odd to see my name in bold so many times in one thread. Makes me feel like i'm in trouble at school! Seriously though thanx alot for all the replies guys. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for a quick transfer time and flag this up with the Inghams guy now. Going back to the eateries question, is there anything cheap and nutritious like a Subway (as in the sandwhich store) or something similar (i.e. cheap but somewhat healthy) in Mayrhofen? Anyone has eaterie recommendations? I really want to avoid the type of situation i was in in Scotland last year when some smoked salmon with scrambled eggs was like £6!!
snow report
I very rarely bother with the first day. I'd rather arrive a little later, get the family sorted out in their rooms, have a nice bit of nosh and a drink or two and get an early night. Then, I do 7 or 8 days skiing during the next 6 days.
snow report
Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, Ridha, You won't get smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for £6, but you will get a cake and coffee for 8 euros. Only kidding....
There're some really nice places to eat - one I remember fondly was quite close to the small railway station (on the slopes side of the main street through Mayrhofen). They did fantastic streaks, GOOD pizzas and all sorts of other stuff. The price was quite reasonable too. Best thing to do is forget the skiing on the first afternoon as you won't get there with enough time for more than an hour's skiing. Instead spend some time mooching around the place, having some drinks, reading menus in windows, having a nice evening meal and a bit of "apres ski before you've even skied". Then you'll be all up for it the first morning. Imagine rushing onto the slopes for one hour on that first afternoon and busting something because you were in such a rush!
snow report
Well, unlike you lot I do try to ski on the first afternoon if possible. Like most said though, you can't bank on it as it depends on when you arrive, also I have my own skis. Ridha, check out the website before you go (if it's rubbish, e-mail the tourist office) and find out where the lift pass office is in relation to your accommodation and what type of half day lift passes they do (from 1.00pm or 3.00pm or whatever, restricted lifts, area etc) which, believe me, the rep on the bus won't have a clue about. If you need to hire skis, and are not fussy about a particular type, I would guess that there is a ski hire shop (or two) near the lift pass office which you could use, although I've never been to Mayrhofen. Anyway, good luck! And just go with the flow snowHead .
latest report
The lift pass office is at the foot of the main cable car up to the slopes. Directly opposite there are several (well loads) of hire shops.
snow conditions
petemillis wrote:
They did fantastic streaks....
Shocked I know we've had a mild winter, but....
latest report
Cheap is definitely possible, healthy is not so easy! I do know on the main street in Mayrhofen (on the left hand side as you go down the hill), there is the tiniest little kebab store that is open evenings. Not sure if you've ever had an austrian style kebab but they're good, proper slices of steak or veal, not the scary elephant leg style things you get in the UK. Plus loads of salad on them etc.

There are also takeaway pizzas at a couple of places and there's a chinese which I think does takeaway too. You will be able to eat in a restaurant for around EUR10 anyway.

Failing that, get the to a supermarket and buy yourself some hotel room picnic materials!

HTH and happy sliding
D

PS also never found microwaves etc. in B&Bs
snow conditions
Ridha,
Echo-ing the others, I've never had a kitchenette in a B&B in France, Austria or any other country I've ever skied at.

Regarding skiing on day 1, there is a possibility but I would strongly advise to to presume not, then possibly have a nice surprise than expect to and be frustrated all day! The following could easily be your timetable:

09.30 - flight lands
11.00 - luggage arrives, get through customs
11.01 - be told by the rep that you will be waiting for the later flight from Manchester, Bristol, Glasgow etc to arrive
12.00 - finally leave the airport
14.00 - arrive at resort (heavy Saturday traffic so slower than expected) but you find that your B&B is the last drop off of all passengers on the coach
14.45 - finally arrive at your B&B, drop off the bags, run to the hire shop
15.30 - finally leave hire shop after long queue
16.00 - after queueing for a lift pass, finally hit the slopes
16.30 - lifts close

Better luck to you than this though. Hopefully it will work like clock-work and you arrive at the B&B at midday and have a full afternoon on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to agree with Simo. That's pretty much our experience each time. Bank on every stage taking an hour longer than you think it will, and you'll be about right. That rarely gives enough time to get on the slopes, but it may well give you the time to get your gear sorted ready for a 9.00am start the next day. Personally, I'm happy if I get to do that.
ski holidays
Ridha, the only time I've managed to ski on the first day of a hol is when we travlled overnight by train and arrived in the resort (Meribel IIRC) early morning (with the worst hangover yet), despite some horrifically early starts. Like Legal Steve, I'm pretty happy if I get ski hire sorted on the first day. I've managed to ski on the last day in Canada, with an evening flight back. Even when organising flights and accom myself, I usually go for a leisurely approach rather than an early start (flights later in the day tend to be cheaper as well). Shorter hols are a different matter; I usually go out the night before, after work, ski on the last day and get a late flight back.

We're considering the Bergland Express next year, which should give us an extra 2 days skiing. Very pricey, though, and it means taking the kids out of school for a day (a discussion we haven't had on here for a while - has everyone stopped doing it or don't schools care so much these days?).
ski holidays
Our 4 kids are on half term holiday this week. We're taking them skiing on 18 to 25 Feb so they are having the week off after half term. They never have time off sick, they never have time off for any other reason, and they're pretty good pupils. The schools never make beans about it as far as our kids are concerned. Of course the school would rather we went during half term, but we're their parents, they're our kids and it's our choice. Beside, a week on the piste is good for the kids from boths the physical education point of view, and the cultural awareness point of view - both things that are top of the school list of importantness!
latest report
Ive used Inghams a few times and they seem better than some with the speed of transfers but I think you will struggle to have time to ski much of the day. If you have a late flight on the way home skiing on the last day is possable I did this last Satarday
I would go with the advice above and have a relaxed afternoon and get things sorted for Sunday morning
Get to the lift early for the lift out of Mayrhofen as Im told the lift line can build up at the start of the day
snow report
Ridha,
Inghams have usually got us to resort with direct coach in time for a bit of first afternoon skiing.
Mayrhofen, when you have bought your 7 day lift tickets(which will be very little more than a six day and the same price as Inghams will charge) at the Penkenbahn look across the road to the 'butcher's' who do great rolls (Semmeln) filled with hot meat of various kinds. The hire shop in the lift building is good too and there is a ski and heated boot store there, free if you hire from them, so you don't have to carry everything around town with you.
You can check out the liftprices if you go to the Mayrhofen website.
ski holidays
I'm vegetarian. Confused Apart from seafood.

One thing i'm especially bummed about cos it seems like such a waste is that the return flight on the Saturday is in the morning, so skiing is definitely out on the last day. Why are most ski packages like this? U would think that they would cater to the fact that most people's priorities on a ski trip especially is to get maximum holiday time from ur time off, so to return to London on the early part of the weekend seems like a tremendous waste.

For next time anyone know of a ski package where u leave Friday evening and return the next weekend on Sunday evening? 6 days become 9 for same amount of time of work.
latest report
Ridha,
Pretty well the only way to do that is DIY or snowtrain.

Almost all the packages flying use charter flights, which menans the plane flies out with a load of skiers for the coming week, then immediately flies back with those who have just done a week. And the charters go to wintersun destinations on weekdays.

Occasionally, your charter will be with a foreign airline, and then it is even worse. (e.g. Austrian airlines fly Innsbruck - Bristol bringing one lot home, then Bristol-Innsbruck taking the next lot out - which is what I had on my trip to Neiderau this year)

There are some package operators who use scheduled flights, and so can be more flexible (Kuoni for one), but there are mainly smaller and tend to be more expensive. On a bog-standard European ski package from one of the larger operators, you will never get more than 6 full days, and will only occasionally get even a half day at one end or the other.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Ridha, not everyone wants to ski on the first afternoon, beginners for example. Also ski school starts on the following morning. You will just need to buy yourself a pass for the first afternoon. MY advice would be not to buy the ski package from the tour operator, and sort your own out. Don't forget, although you arrive in the airport at 9.30am, you'll be hanging round waiting for your skis for ages, then waiting on the coach for the next (possibly) delayed flight. You may not leave the airport for a couple of hours after landing like you say. It might snow and take three hours to get to resort. These are all valid reasons for to's not offering 7 day packages.

Sorry to enter this thread a bit late, but by not considering buying stuff through a tour operator you're potentially missing out on huge savings. You're providing a lot of misguided and ill informed infromation here. You're not always going to wait for ages for skis and it's rare for the major tour ops to double up transfers.

I get the impression that you don't like tour operators in general, possibly linked to the fact that you appear to run your own chalet. Don't forget that tour ops make skiing affordable for everyone.
ski holidays
I disagree Spindrift, I've done tour ops trips many times but more recently the DIY drive to France so I do have some experience. First holiday 1978.

you wrote:
Quote:
by not considering buying stuff through a tour operator you're potentially missing out on huge savings.

Tour ops make money on selling ski hire, lesson packges, trip tickets on the bus. Staff get commission on what they sell. Never seen any saving on the on the bus packages. But you usually can get in resort savings. The difficultly doing that though is knowing where to go and having time to do it. You are paying for the convenience of getting passes brought to you rather that queue yourself.

Quote:
You're providing a lot of misguided and ill informed infromation
Again I disagree, more like years of practical knowledge being brought out. I've been through the package ops many times, usually to Austria. The time frames mentioned are realistic and maybe even understated. I've spent hours waiting at airports for that one late flight! Also been on that one late flight!

Quote:
You're not always going to wait for ages for skis
Not always, but mostly you are. Most of the other people are going to be doing the same thing at the same time! From experience you rarely ever get the oportunity to ski on arrival day when with a TO. I have, but that the exception nad I had to by the extra 1/2 day myself and only got less that 2 hours, but I was keen and young then! IHMO, much better to get things sorted for the first full day, and relax after the travel.

Quote:
it's rare for the major tour ops to double up transfers
One bus per to each resort per flight? Tour Ops. always combine flights if it is possible. Then in resort, its a drop off at each accom or decanting to a minbus shuttle. Some of the bigger (more expensive) ops like Scott Dunn do use taxis or pvt minibusses. Inghams will rarely do that. Was on a much delayed flight once and got minbussed with 6 others to Obergurgl, main bus couldnt wait for us.

Tour ops do make ski-ing availble to the masses, inexperieced or the 'do it for me' brigade. But there are other ways. Smile

Ridha, V surprised you thought you'd be able to ski first and last day, that rerely happens. If you get the oportunity go for it! Smile Once had a delay in Soll with Neilson, 8 hours! Many people whined when told, I unpacked gear, got lift pass and skied till mid afternoon!
Re the B&B situation, they are what they say, B&B. to cook or prepare food for yourself you needed self catering. Eating out in Mayrhoffen shouldnt cost you too much though.

IMHO, chill out on the journey, do whatever you find most convenient. Whatever works for you must be the right way. wink
snow conditions
Spindrift, not at all, and I find your comments very unfair. I am only speaking from experience. I really couldn't care less how people take their skiing holiday. I don't run my own chalet, I own a small apartment in Serre Chevalier, so you could hardly say that I was in competition with them. All of the above have happened to me on package holidays, including standing around in Aime coach station for an hour in a blizzard. I suggested they sort out their own packages, as the tour op will be selling the 6 day one on the coach to resort.
Savings? What savings? They charge the same prices usually, but you get stung for exchange fees, as many of the UK ops charge your credit card in sterling, at a poor exchange rate. I have also missed ski school on the first morning because the rep didn't turn up with my lift pass, and had actually given our passes to someone else.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, yes the lift pass one came up on the way to Val Thorens for us this year.
We were in the 2nd row of the coach and so could overhear the 1st people organising lift passes etc. They had a long discussion with the rep regarding what card to put it on (sterling on a debit with a crap exchange rate or euros on a credit with a fee). After sorting them out he then went right to the back of the bus as everyone at the front had overheard him being questioned on the fees etc.

When he came to us we're like "What benefit do we get from buying from you?" which was "you get it quicker and dont have to queue". Well declining his offer we wandered down to the ticket office the next day, 1st in the queue and of course it was cheaper. Oh and you can get the insurance (Carre Neige) from the ticket office too which was never offered on the coach.
latest report
Back to the ski on arrival day debate - over the last few years on trips to France with early morning flights I've almost always managed to get a big chunk of the pm to ski - having said that they have been Sunday transfers which means less traffic on the road - and it really does help having you're own kit as you can just hit the mountain.

Ridha's, issue on why can't you ski on the last day - this always perplexed me and I've done it only once - but most charter flights are timed so that the punter doesn't turn up very late for dinner (although it has happen to me at times) and the logic of this is that you need earlyish flights out!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy