Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any recent news on conditions at Tamworth?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been to Castleford and it has been pretty good - last time they had one Poma shut for 20 mins cos it broke down, but then gave all of us 20 mins extra time so I can't grumble. I'm very much a novice - just very recently achieved 'recreational standard' and trying to build some confidence, so ice is NOT what I want on a slope.

I am considering meeting my sister at Tamworth which is half way between us - she has only skied 3 times in 20 years so I don't want to scare either of us off and reading posts made last summer/autumn about Tamworth made me a bit worried.

Comments?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, I can't comment as I haven't been to Tamworth for several years now, but ......

A very warm welcome to Snowheads (spotted that this is your first post) snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was at the XScape in Milton Keynes on the weekend. Conditions were reasonably good. Not too far from Tamworth perhaps. If you go immediately after 7pm, the slopes are usually freshly groomed and flat as a pancake.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tamworth had a good 5mm of fresh powder last Monday. Soon turned into ice though...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
x-scape Castleford was good last sunday, we got a 3hour for £30 deal, 7-10pm. Got a bit icy in the centre of the slope towards the end, not used to ice only skied for 10 days at Banff, didn't see any ice over there.

Was a good warm-up before the ski trip next week. Gave us both some confidence that we hadn't forgotten everything we learnt
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It was OK last time I went (week before last) but started to get icy patches towards the bottom by the end of my 2 hours. They started to chuck snow onto the patches with shovels when they saw this happening though. Time it so you get there just after they've groomed it (e.g. 2pm) and you should be alright. I found dodging the absolute beginners to be more of a hazard!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were there last Sunday. First visit to a snowdome and actualy was quite impresed. Little bit icy at the top and also saw the shovel pistie beastie in action. All in all a very pleasant couple of hours (10am - 12noon)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't been to Tamworth for years but as you may have read they have an older "snow" system which someone told me is more shavings of ice. In my experience the other places have generally better snow - but of course anywhere can get scraped back to ice in a few places long after the last grooming.
I imagine you'd get the best conditions (and least crowds) in the morning. If a slope is crowded, so there are long queues for the lifts, you can get many fewer runs (perhaps 3 times fewer). When school ends crowds begin (and week-ends are worst). Alternatively you might go VERY late (they close at 11.00pm).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm thanks for the responses and the warm welcome - we were thinking of going April - May, during school terms - we want to have a girlie day out in the 6 weeks that we are both 40 something - she's 40 early April and I have a larger significant birthday mid May! She can get there from about 11am and I want to book her a lesson with the instructor advertised on the website who offers British Sign Language (was most impressed to see this offered!) and then have an hour's recreational afterwards together, with lunch fitted in somewhere along the way. I don't know whether to see if I can join in the same lesson or have a separate one, watch or have 2 hours rec myself. I will contact their instructors and see what they say.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neither Metcheck nor Snow Forecast seem to list Tamworth so can't help you sorry, must be pretty secret resort!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Terribly secret! Laughing
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
The ICEDOME at Tamworth is basicly a scating rink tipped up at one end. They occasionaly dust it with icing sugar for cosmetic effect. The conveyor belt lift covers your bases in a thin layer of dirt and rubber.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The conveyor belt lift covers your bases in a thin layer of dirt and rubber.

This is true, use the hire skis, not great but also not yours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, we live in Tamworth, and go to the Snowdome quite regularly. I have to say that the conditions on the slope this year so far have been much better than they were last year. The snow seems to hold up much better than it used to. Yes, it is artificial snow, but no worse than that made by snow cannons at ski resorts themselves. There are places where it gets icy. It gets icy at the top of the slope, where people skid and slide along ready to start their runs. There are occasional blobs of ice on the slope from drips that come down from the ceiling, but they usually chop those up and remove them quite quickly. It also sometimes gets icy midway down the top of the slope before the bend, and again, just over the ridge once you come round the bend - this is where the beginner boarders practice, and they obviously have to slip on toe/heel edges a lot which tends to remove the top part of the snow. It can also get icy right at the bottom.

First thing in the morning, the ridges left by the piste basher tend to be quite icy and frozen, so aren't soft to ski over, but they generally get scraped off after about an hour, and then they are fine.

It isn't all that bad! If you want to meet up at the Snowdome, give us a shout when you are going, as we are always up for a bit of sliding on the white stuff Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I usually go to Xscape Miton Keynes but a couple of weeks ago went to Tamworth on a Monday evening. I won't go back again in a hurry as it was so busy. MK has 2 main slopes and one for beginners lessons, which are held at the bottom of the only slope at Tamworth, better 'snow' and can handle more people. If you can make it a little further South then MK would be my choice.
ski holidays
Quote:

a little further South then MK would be my choice.

It's another 70-odd miles! That would be more than twice as far as Tamworth for me - not really viable for 2 hours skiing in an afternoon...
snow conditions
Thanks for the comments - we are having a think about whether to go for Tamworth or try & get my sis to come up overnight and go to Cas with me if she can get someone to see to the kids' schoolrun!
snow report
Tamworth isn't that bad. I found learning to ski on ice was a good preparation for Saalbach last Christmas! It has got to be better than a dry slope anyway.

Just started the American Civil War (post 1861 for new readers)

snowHead
snow conditions
NewSkier, The best conditions are to be found on the upper slopes*. Madeye-Smiley

*Source: SCGB Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy