Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time driving to Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Seems that I will be driving to Chamonix/Argentiere for the Easter weekend (I know - not my decision)

We are using the tunnel and then I guess the 'usual route'.

Read various threads here about the TP system for tolls. Prob won't make this trip again for a couple of years, but will it be worth getting one of these things - time saving etc?

Also, any idea how long the trip from Calais to Cham may take?

Cheers in advance.

IMT
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually takes around 7 hours if you push it, maybe a little more, but Easter weekend could be a bit slower Shocked . Also, last time I went that way, satnav tried to direct me via Paris, but I'd recommend the Reim-Troyes-Dijon route as making much more sense.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paris is madness from Calais to Chamonix (so is satnav, it's straightforward enough and the autoroutes are superbly signposted!). One major advantage of Calais is avoiding Paris and the ghastly A6.

you don't need TP for one trip, it costs a bit and you shouldn't encounter much delays. Use a credit card. Easter is not a major week for French ski hols, I think. I would go via Geneva and the A40, and avoid the Lyon area altogether. I would say 8 hours driving from Calais, plus stops.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
iblair, wrote:
Quote:
I'd recommend the Reim-Troyes-Dijon route as making much more sense.

Definately this route.

Particularly with it being easter, but also, depending on the time of day you are travelling, you may need to add several hours on to the 7 hrs mentioned. I use a tetepeage tag , and it does give you access to at least 2 more lanes at each peage, so at busy times the 8 or 10 gates you may need to go though, this may save some time.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers, was certainly planning on avoiding Paris anyway, Autoroute seems to suggest avoiding Lyon too, as does Viamichalin.

Anyone know if the snow (generally) is ok in early April, never skied so late in the season before and will only get 3 days in, so want to make the most of it...

IMT
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMT, From Salisbury to Montalbert La Plagne is an average of 12 hours door to door. Using the route above ( but we do go around Lyon on the N road.) Telepeage is not worth it for the trip just use a credit card BUT make sure you tell your card issuer you are going to France.
1) they wont stop yourd card becuase suddenly it has quite a few low value Euro transactions and 2) my card got cloned at a telepeage on the way home but the issuer stopped the card as they rang and checked I was in England, when someone was trying to use it in France!
Before getting a telepeage badge I used a seperate credit card for the toll's. Using a card you can use the credit card lanes or the manned booth's. The CC lanes sometimes marked as CB (carte bleu) have a 'car park' type machine, ticket in one slot CC in another.
Relax and enjoy the journey, best tip; If stopping for petrol everyone out and go to the loo's. If stopping to go to the loo, fill up with petrol. DO NOT stop seperately for each otherwise you'll never get there Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMT,

Lyon....?? if you are anywhere near Lyon you are lost..... get to Dijon, take the A39 through the E21 Geneva road and then its one hour from there following the Italia/Mont Blanc signs. 8hrs, easy 80-85mph or the limit of 130kph, fuels stops with a coffee/loo stop but no lingering. In goodish weather etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, Agreed, Lyon seems a bit out of the way and had no plans to go there (unless lost.... wink )

8 hours seems about right - should be around 11-12 hours door to door, sounds good.

IMT
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like I've been driving too fast again Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IMT, Whilst in Chamonicks Dont forget to visit SMALLZOOKEEPER in his footworks shop. IFIR he gives free beer to snowHeads Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, Free beer? I'm there, Mrs IMT has some minor boot issues too, so could be useful...

IMT
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMT, "I know, not my decision"...

"I" know what? Is this a good or bad decision?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, not sure if it's a good decision to go over Easter, that's all - never been during the holidays...

IMT
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy