Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you cut composite poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought some really nice K2 composite poles from ski-bilek. I thought I had chosen my usual length but chose wrongly. Its not economic to send them back to germany though ski bilek would be happy to exchange as they are posting me some skis anyway. Can you cut composite poles. If so how do you suggest that I do it and leave a safe end product. Alternatively some very nice K2 composite poles in 135 cm length for sale (say £20 plus p&p or delivery in cardiff/ monmouthshire free). May not sell so pm if interested

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-02-07 12:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100, what is it they're made out of. You can certainly cut carbon quite easily.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think, not from what it says, but from searching on K2 website that its fibre glass
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fibreglass and carbon poles are easy to cut. Remove handgrip (hardest part - easier to do if insert skinny screwdriver or similar between grip and pole to break the bond - and some washing up liquid squirted in there helps as well). Use a hacksaw and a file to cut of the amount you want. Don't try and cut straight through the pole. Instead cut all the way around the pole gradually going deeper and deeper until you're through. Then chamfer the end with a file, filing from the outer surface inwards. Finally, refit handgrip. I always spray a couple of squirts of spraypaint in the grip before refitting as a) it helps the grip slide onto the pole and b) when it's dried it prevents the grip coming off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, it may have some fibre glass in it, still easy to cut. You may wish to wrap some tape around the cut point.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, and wear a dust mask . . . the crap is bad for your lungs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's far easier if you use a tile cutting diamond wheel...if you have one
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and put some epoxy resin on the end to "seal" it after the cut.which reminds me, I have a pair to take a few cm off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took mine to a ski shop in resort and they did it for about a fiver
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Getting the hand grip off is some times the hardest part. Sticking it in some hot water, for a few moments, may help. You may find using a pipe cutter a little easier. No mess, no dust and a nice, neat cut.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dan100, I'd imagine the material is pretty similar to that used to make carbon fibre bicycle frames. That being the case, I've just cut a head (steerer) tube to length for a new race bike I'm building using a junior (fine-tooth) hacksaw. Cutting diagonally, and gently, I got a very good smooth cut, and could take off any small burrs with a fine file.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
narrowlast wrote:
Getting the hand grip off is some times the hardest part. Sticking it in some hot water, for a few moments, may help. You may find using a pipe cutter a little easier. No mess, no dust and a nice, neat cut.

you ain't joking will have to try hot water tonight because they weren't coming off with just screwdriver being used to break bond.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100, I've found that heating the grips up with a hairdryer is better than the hot water method.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
dan100, I've found that heating the grips up with a hairdryer is better than the hot water method.

Thanks. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy