Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm happy with conditions. Are you?

Poster: A snowHead
Off on Friday taking my school trip (110 14 yr olds) to St Sorlin D'Arves. More or less all the runs open as are all the lifts and links to other resorts. Webcams showing coverage at resort level too. Bit of a mix of snow and rain forecast this week but cant see conditions of pistes dramatically altering. Prob wont be too much powder about but that will suit us fine as we ski almost entirely on piste with the kids and we tend to have more serious accidents in thick snow. I can sleep soundly knowing conditions are great for us. Anyone else satisfied with the conditions or is the glass half empty for you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo, Going to Mayrhofen in two weeks and Morzine in four. Conditions in both are OK, could be better but could also be a lot worse, I'll enjoy it anyway. Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garethjomo, we had a week in tignes in january and the conditions were better than the same week two years ago. Off to le corbier 3 weeks today so would appreciate feedback on the conditions in Les Sybelles Smile

Enjoy your trip
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo,

Quote:

110 14 yr olds

Shocked You are to be admired, I have enough trouble with one 14 year old Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, I'll let you know. I tend to get over to Le Corbier and La Toussier a bit when out there so will let you know.

boredsurfin, They'll be fine and behave perfectly all week. They wont buy - booze, fags, knives or fireworks in resort and hide them under their beds i'm sure. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
garethjomo, in my experience, kids on a school trip are fine....it's the teachers you have to watch rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, The cheek of it! wink

Although the biggest pain in the ar5e last year was a woman teacher on her first ski trip who managed to get her self kicked out of the total beginners group on the 3rd day for being so bad and holding up the group. She was in floods of tears. But she has confessed since she was upset because she really fancied the instructor!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worst I've come across (that I could post on a family forum!!) was ALL the staff getting blind drunk one night and not being able to make it out of bed the next morning to take the kids to their lessons.

At least when the kids get hammered they don't miss skiing!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've never had staff not make it because of drink but have a few stuck on toilet! Luckily instructors stay in same centre as us to take the kids out even if there were no staff!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last week in Les Arcs was significantly better than the matching week in La Plagne in 2006. In 2006 I was in ValThorens mid-January and, apart from a snowy Wednesday and a powder Thursday, conditions were very scratchy (Meribels slopes were in the wrst state I've seen.

While you cannot ignore the effects on Les Gets and simlar resorts this year, conditions don't "feel" any worse than last year and the season just improved from mid February to late March thereafter.

All looks a bit warm for the next week though... Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sproggski, All weather sites seem to predict morning of rain afternoon of heavy snow etc. Does seem to be more snow than rain and higher up the mountain it should be snow anyway.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
its pants !

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 11-02-07 19:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, Que?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Conditions are fine, by the looks of it. What about terms 'n' ? Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hoping the US storm makes it over to the alpes...huge..!!! Laughing
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Quote:

Conditions are fine, by the looks of it. What about terms 'n' ? Little Angel

Laughing Those were the days wink
latest report
Quote:

Not especially, but there's not much you can do about it....
ski holidays
Find me someone who's satisfied with the current conditions and you can bet your life it's because they're skiing in North America....and NOT in Europe.
snow report
dazman, someone was complaining not so long ago that Utah had bog all snow. 2Alpes, on the other hand, had loads of fresh powder yesterday afternoon.
snow report
well I went to Engelberg last week (ie before the recent snowfalls) expecting it to be hopeless. guess what? i had a great time with some really good skiing. yes, it's conceivable that I could have had a better time if there was a metre of fresh on a good base from the top of the mountain to the bottom but I had a more than satisfactory long weekend.
snow report
dazman wrote:
Find me someone who's satisfied with the current conditions and you can bet your life it's because they're skiing in North America....and NOT in Europe.

Are there only two states of mind as far as snow is concerned: "satisfied" or "not satisfied"?

Since November I've skied every two or three weeks in the Tarentaise resorts in France, and for every trip there has been enough snow for plenty of skiing. Conditions on-piste have been at least satisfactory, occasionally good. Mostly I've skied in sunny weather and not had to worry about skiing in ultracold conditions which has been the case in the last couple of years. The only day which was completely spoiled by snow conditions was a day in November when there was too much snow for the skiing I wanted to do. Not sure how you define satisfied, but for me it's been satisfactory Smile. Not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly satisfactory.
ski holidays
Quote:

satisfactory, occasionally good.

No need for special measures eh!
Sounds like an Ofsted report wink Laughing
latest report
Just back from Morzine and spent all the time in Avoriaz, snow was excellent, thigh deep powder in places snowHead Cool
snow report
Swirly wrote:
Just back from Morzine and spent all the time in Avoriaz, snow was excellent, thigh deep powder in places snowHead Cool

Start a new thread! Just to quieten down the doom and gloom merchants!
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

satisfactory, occasionally good.

No need for special measures eh!
Sounds like an Ofsted report wink Laughing

I was tempted to write what my most of my school reports used to say - "satisfactory, but unremarkable" - but thought that was unnecessarily pessimistic Smile
snow report
rob@rar, Like mine

"Has the ability but needs to try harder" Confused

or

If he would put as much effort into Maths as he does Rugby we would be very happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 12-02-07 11:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

What was that report about the sister resort to Mammoth Mountain closing for the season last month, because of terrible snow? And eastern resorts like Tremblant had some very thin weeks too, earlier on. We had some great times in January, good piste conditions and superb sunshine.
snow conditions
Had very pleasant piste skiing all round Champoluc Saturday and Sunday although didn't get across to Gressoney - Sat 'cos of mixed ability constraints and Sun cos of high winds. Pistes in generally excellent shape.

Had a very rainy day in Chamonix today but almost certainly snowing heavily above 1,200 and will definitely do so overnight. I suspect tomorrow will be lovely for those who can escape their desks.

So, from my two samples conditions seem pretty OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Overheard 2 brits in the cafe today complaining about the rotten weather, cos in California you only get fab snow and blue skies. Shocked Shocked Shocked they also think the resorts int eh states are more than 3,600m altitude. rolling eyes I told you all that peeps would complain if it snowed! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
dazman wrote:

I am more than satisfied with the current conditions & conditions all season. Laughing

YOU CANNOT CONTROL THE WEATHER 'you get what you get'

The only thing i am not happy with is having to dig the car out once again tio go to the bar rolling eyes
snow report
stewart woodward, tut tut - driving to go to the bar? wink
ski holidays
Whoah there folks...I wasn't having a go I was just pointing out that a lot of the Nrth American/Canadian resorts have been in the hundreds (cm) for a while as where we're only catching up now, that's all.
snow report
Just a couple of photos taken this morning to show how little snow we have Very Happy

ski holidays
easiski, Laughing Laughing

dazman, I'm sure you weren't having a go, no need to apologise, but do please at least get your facts straight.

North America is a continent. I think you'll find that the season has been just as varied...from what I hear here and elsewhere: the East coast had an atrocious start (and who would travel 10 hours to ski Vermont anyway?), West coast (CA, Tahoe) thought it would NEVER start and at least one Canadian resort has closed FOR GOOD...

For my personal experience, Chamonix has had an about normal season so far (at least above 1,800m which is where teh vast majority of the skiing is), Avoriaz has been at least average, Monterosa has been somewhat better than average, and I hear Scotland has been amazing...

I only have a vested interest in one of those locations!
latest report
stewart, wow - that's some snow that's been dumped! snowHead
ski holidays
OK....let's look at this differently, A lot of you appear to be living in resorts so if you get a bad week (warm & dry) it's ok because next week may bring snow and cooler temps "Ah we'll get the carvers out next week Love eh??"...but what about the folk who are there for the week and the conditions are shite (like thousands at Christmas)..Christmas was brilliant for the majority of the resorts Stateside....it's all well and good showing me photographs taken today but I'm pretty damn sure the people who paid good money to ski on limited pistes over the past two months wouldn't feel very "satisified".

As I've said earlier I'm not having a go...I'm just pointing something out.
snow report
To be honest i don't really care what conditions were like for people who went at Christmas because i couldn't go Sad . What i am concerned with are the conditions when i arrive this week which look amazing Laughing
ski holidays
dazman wrote:
OK....let's look at this differently, A lot of you appear to be living in resorts so if you get a bad week (warm & dry) it's ok because next week may bring snow and cooler temps "Ah we'll get the carvers out next week Love eh??"...but what about the folk who are there for the week and the conditions are shite (like thousands at Christmas)..Christmas was brilliant for the majority of the resorts Stateside....it's all well and good showing me photographs taken today but I'm pretty damn sure the people who paid good money to ski on limited pistes over the past two months wouldn't feel very "satisified".

As I've said earlier I'm not having a go...I'm just pointing something out.

You could turn that around that around. Many of us have made big compromises to be this side of the channel. Some have layed out big money for a second home (wether they can afford it or not). You miss out for one week and a few hundred quid, we've missed out for many weeks.
latest report
dazman, Some resorts in Europe had decent snow at Christmas. Not all Stateside resorts are always good. This year the Rocky Mountain snow has been very good north and south of the border, but it's not always like that. You can't just assume that by going to the Rockies you'll get good snow - some years it bad there.
snow conditions
We start skiing on Sunday morning and. according to the 0z run from this morning. in St Sorlin D'Arves we will have virtually non stop snow until at least Wednesday with almost 100% cloud cover each day.
Got my wish for snow but not for sunny skies. Can't win them all! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy