Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Navigating Paris

Poster: A snowHead
One option for next years trip (planning early) is to fly to Paris then take the TVG to Bourg St Maurice - I figure this is a) cheaper ; and b) easier ; than travelling from the North of the UK for the Eurostar from Waterloo.

So the question is:
How easy is it to get to "Gare de Lyon" from CDG or Orly airports and how would you recommend such a journey given ski luggage and children in tow? Taxi / train ? How long would this take and what cost ?

thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why don't you fly to Roissy and take the TGV directly from the airport either to Bourg St Maurice or to Lyon and avoid Paris altogether?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never heard of Roissy ?? thats' why Happy will take a look.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Roissy another name for CDG airport ... ?

If so, then it;s due to the timetables, there are many more trains from Gare de Lyon to BSM than there are from CDG.

But then again, having never been to Paris, am willing to take advice !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or maybe I'll just blow this whole idea and just fly direct to GVA, Chambery, Lyon etc - but was rather trying to get to BSM by avoiding inflated airline prices to ski airports during Easter hols.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well this looks like one option:

"Another express shuttle runs from Roissy/CDG to the Gare de Lyon (20 bis, boulevard Diderot, Paris 12e) and the Gare Montparnasse (rue du Commandant R. Mouchotte, Paris 14e). Hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., with departures every 30 minutes, and travel time is about 50 minutes. A one-way ticket costs €12 for adults, €6 for children (ages 2-11); round-trip tickets are €18. Groups enjoy a 15% discount. You can catch the bus at the following airport locations:

Aérogare/Terminal 1: exit door #34 on the arrivals level
Aérogare/Terminal 2F: exit doors #B2, C2, 0.07 on the arrivals level"

Also, accoring to viamichelin, CDG is 31km to Gare de Lyon, Orly is 18km.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The shuttle bus is quite good, normally very reliable. If you can get a good train from Gare de Lyon this is probably better than flying closer and trying to pick up one of the airport buses at Lyon or somewhere. Sounds like a good plan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks, davidof, reassuring
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like an excellent plan, in fact. Might try it myself some time! Do you still have to reserve a seat on the TGV?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clara_jo, From what I've seen so far, yes, you do need to reserve a seat (at least on the TGV leg of the journey). Journey time from Paris to BSM is about 5.5 hours, return fare for the first week of easter this year are currently available from about £87, but possibly can get cheaper if booked further in advance.

www.sncf.co.uk has timetables / prices

We may be going to Les Arcs, we can get a free transfer from BSM but if we fly to any of the airports we need to factor in at least £40 pp transfer cost.

Having just been to Zermatt on the train from Geneva I'd recommend this over a minibus transfer any day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith,

At least that bus service saves you the job of getting down to the river for Gard de Lyon. I don't think Montparnasse serves the alpes, its more a South West service.
Once on board the train the ride to BSM is an easy 4 hrs. I like the train for this sort of trip...as long as you can doze off easily enough.

However, if chambery is any sort of option, price-wise, its a tiny no fuss airport and the transfer will be easy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, it's sounding better and better Smile I'm likely to be travelling on my own for the next few years, you see, so it's nice to find out how to get to places without too much hassle. GVA is a doddle from Liverpool, and I like using Swiss public transport.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
opps, must be more than 4 hrs.... I've been 1st class and its worth it if it isn't too many Eu's
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, 1st class isn't that much more and is something we'd certainly consider, at least for the outward journey.

Agree re Chambery, but in recenet experience flights to Chamb or Lyon have been over £200 return during Easter weeks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clara_jo, if going from Liverpool don't rule out Basel. Some friends booked last minute flights from Liverpool for our recent Zermatt trip. The return fare to GVA was about £140 (expensive flight back) so they flew into GVA and back from Basel (where they got a much cheaper fare - about a tenner).

They then bought a Swiss Transfer ticket for £55 which gives a return journey by train/bus to any destination - arrival and departure airports needn't be the same.
snow conditions
masmith, my two boys did exactly this last winter. There were two options for the afternoon Newcastle flight to CDG, one was a direct TGV to Grenoble, and picked up by us there. The other was a sleeper from Gare d'Austerlitz. We chose the latter option as there was a chance they may miss (last one of the day), if the flight was late. and we couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be a snowstorm at our end. Apparently crossing Paris was easy (RER Line B I think then a couple of stops on the Metro to the station). Strolled off the train the following morning, into a taxi to the apartment (our car was conked out with frozen diesel), and sat down to cooked breakfast by 8.45 . In between, they'd managed to find beer and dinner in Paris. Nightmare scenarios dreamed up by other sH's included getting lost in Paris for two weeks with a loose woman, and having everything pinched on the Metro.

rolling eyes
latest report
masmith, good thinking! The times are shocking outbound, so I'd have to fly into GVA, but I don't mind a 4 1/2 journey on a Swiss train to get the Basel flight back. Did you order your Swiss Transfer ticket online? Or did you buy it at the airport when you arrived?

Really interested in this now, as there's just a chance I may get away again before the end of the season Smile
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Nightmare scenarios dreamed up by other sH's included getting lost in Paris for two weeks with a loose woman,

Is this a bookable option with the train journey or is it an extra? Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/

This will allow you to plan your route across Paris, loose women not included.
Laughing
snow report
clara_jo,

Its a long way from Zermatt to Basel... I've recently driven to Brig from Gotthard and its a long way...make sure the train is direct and straight forward
snow conditions
According to the SBB website it takes about 4 1/2 hours by train, with one change, which doesn't seem that bad, especially if you've got a good book Puzzled It's far more mentally draining if you're driving that distance.

My final travel choices would be down to money, rather than time. Before the days of low-cost airlines I either used to travel train-ferry-train or car-ferry-car to most places, so plane-train still seems rapid to me!

We once went to Gruenau in Almtal from Vienna for the weekend, which is about 3 hrs 20 on the train, and I don't remember thinking that was particularly bad (and definitely worth it for the amazing snow Wink).
ski holidays
clara_jo, I agree, given that it's almost 4 hours to Geneva from Zermatt then the extra 1/2 hour isn't a great burden, the time passes fairly quickly. It's certainly worth it when you take into account the different flight times to/from GVA/Basel and the potential cost savings.
ski holidays
masmith,

Ok, final point is that Basel Airport is about 20 mins taxi from the banhof. The taxi is about 40chf and the bus about 4 chf....!!
At least thats what the taxi charged us...quite a shock..!!!
ski holidays
JT, final final point snowHead if you get the swiss transfer ticket then the entire journey including the bus is included in the cost.

Having said that I've never done that journey myself, just passing on 2nd hand information ...
ski holidays
JT, I've done the airport bus to/from the station before now. Quite an easy journey (once you work out where the pick-up point is!)

masmith, where did you/your friends buy their Swiss Transfer ticket?

Secretly, I'm rather hoping my sister will choose to take her week's holiday somewhere where I can easily join her family for a 3 or 4 day break, rather than having to travel on my own, but I like to have options Wink
ski holidays
clara_jo, you can get the transfer tickets from varios websites, but I'd recommend www.otp.co.uk - they did me an especially good deal when I bought 12 tickets.
snow report
masmith, thanks! Not that I need 12 tickets Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy