Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now that's what I call a snow storm - Winter 1947 - England

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else see Look East / Inside Out on Friday evening BBC1 East (9 Feb 2007)? Interesting item about the very cold and snowy winter in England of 1947 and subsequent floods. Also found this article on met office website which was very interesting read http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/secondary/students/winter.html

It snowed mid Jan and kept snowing pretty much until early March. A high pressure had set up over Scandinavia bringing in cold artic air over the North Sea picking up moisture on the way. I think it was a similar setup in winter 1963 also.

I thing I thought strange was at the end of the Inside Out item the presenter (local weather presenter) said it was unlikely to happen again as it's now warmer and the snow would melt. Hmmm, the item started by saying how warm it was the day before the first snow (+14 degrees in Jan) and surely it was because of the setup of the high pressure bringing in cold eastern air more than the perceived global mean temperature.

Inside out link http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/index.shtml

Also interesting item about ergot fungus living in wheat – bring back the pesticides?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

said it was unlikely to happen again as it's now warmer and the snow would melt.

He was probably referring to global warming. I would never say never, as you just don't know what is going to happen - the Gulf Stream might shut down in the next 100 years plunging Europe into a mini ice age.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Dad told me about that winter. He was doing National Service in Yorkshire and spent most of his time digging people out of villages. I guess there wasn't any gore-tex or high tech fabrics in those days and I've seen pics of him and his army pals with woollen gloves and standard army uniform on in deep snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1947 was a monster Winter. It took place during the so-called mini Ice Age of roughly 1940 - 1980.

1981 - 2007 has been a mini Heatwave. 1947 is unlikely to be repeated in the near-term.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy