Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen - short break, hotel reccommendations

Poster: A snowHead
OK, have flights into Zurich booked from 2nd to 5th March for a short break. Was planning on St Anton but sourcing accommodation a bit of a problem. So started looking at other alternatives.

Wengen is one of those. Train time to/from Zurich are good for our flights.

Now I know there are some Wengen'ites within the Very Happy's community, so was wondering if anyone could recommend some hotels in Wengen:

- not too expensive (max £60 pppn)
- will accommodate for long weekend Fri-Mon (presently only one twin room req'd .. but may grow)
- resonably convenient for access to skiing and to train station

Any help will be greatly appreciated, would look forward to meeting some resident Very Happy's if in fact we end up in Wengen.

btw, not after party animal type apres, but please reassure me there will be some lively(ish) bars to chill out after a days skiing !!!
thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 10-02-07 18:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In that price range perhaps the Falken would suit as long as you dont mind the comfy Victorian furniture and the Austrailian barman. It is up a small hill about 130 metres from the station but you are at the top of the nursary slope so you can ski down to the Cable car.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not give the old lodge a ring? I can't think of anywhere that for the price is closer to town/the train station, it's just behind the co-op, moved up from the mittaghorn which was at the end of the earth.
http://www.old-lodge.ch/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awaiting responses from the Falken and the Old Lodge - thanks riverman, and stab.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith, Possibly the Bernerhof at the end of the high street, for something between the Falken and the Old Lodge in terms of both accomodation and price
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Strongly recommend the Berghaus - just alongside the nursery slope. Nice family-run hotel and great food. http://www.wengen.com/hotel/berghaus/index.html

Also the Baren. Just below the village. Very good restaurant and a really nice place.

http://www.wengen.com/ho_baer_fl.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed in the Hirschen, and was happy with it. A short walk from the station...but if you can ski back to the village then the piste goes past the front door.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yuo could try the Jungfraublick
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ah I forgot to add, the old lodge is self catering, they have a huge kitchen downstairs for guests use. Just incase you thought it was meals included or something.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

In that price range perhaps the Falken would suit as long as you dont mind the comfy Victorian furniture and the Austrailian barman. It is up a small hill about 130 metres from the station but you are at the top of the nursary slope so you can ski down to the Cable car.

The Aussie barman is great, as is the pianist who was there tinkling the ivories the new year before last! Is he a regular?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Terry's a regular behind the bar, think there are a couple of pianists who appear during the season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
looks like it's the same story in Wengen as in St Anton !

have contacted all hotels recommended above, so far Hirschen and Old Lodge have replied ... no room at the inn. Perseverence is the order of the day, and maybe hope for the odd cancellation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith, how about trying to find a place in Lauterbrunnen (in the valley between Wengen & Murren) Puzzled

http://www.wengen-muerren.ch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, that could be plan C
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith wrote:
looks like it's the same story in Wengen as in St Anton !

have contacted all hotels recommended above, so far Hirschen and Old Lodge have replied ... no room at the inn. Perseverence is the order of the day, and maybe hope for the odd cancellation.

Phone them. They're not all particularly email-savvy.
ski holidays
Can anyone give any comments on the Hotel Victoria-Lauberhorn ?
latest report
I can but you won't like it Laughing

To be fair it's alright, and has a nice wellness thing.
latest report
stab, no, go on ... please.

Ideally we'd just want a no frills, comfortable place. This place appears a bit more grandeur than we'd like but so far is the only option ! So, if you have bad news, let rip ..... !
snow report
Laterbrunnen...Lauterbrunnen............did i mention staying in Lauterbrunnen Laughing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, yes you did, yes you did, but so far have only got an option at the Valley Hostel for £10 per night ... and even then only for the first 2 of 3 nights. No frills is one thing, bunks and communal showers etc another ... not out of the question but not at that stage yet Very Happy
latest report
masmith, try the Oberland in Lauterbrunnen
snow report
A little search on Very Happy's reveals the MSB is at the Victoria ... can't be that bad can it?

Elizabeth B, thanks, will take a look.
snow report
masmith wrote:
stab, no, go on ... please.

Ideally we'd just want a no frills, comfortable place. This place appears a bit more grandeur than we'd like but so far is the only option ! So, if you have bad news, let rip ..... !

hehe I'm just playing, it's basically a swiss hotel for the swiss. Nice place really.

Have you tried the sunstar? I'm just trying to think of places I know now that maybe have low bookings. I'm suprised the lodge was full.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
Laterbrunnen...Lauterbrunnen............did i mention staying in Lauterbrunnen Laughing

all that time in murren has affected your mind. Lauterbrunnen is a car park, FACT. NehNeh
snow report
masmith wrote:
Chris Brookes, yes you did, yes you did, but so far have only got an option at the Valley Hostel for £10 per night ... and even then only for the first 2 of 3 nights. No frills is one thing, bunks and communal showers etc another ... not out of the question but not at that stage yet Very Happy

not my cup of tea Sad

How about Murren -

http://www.muerren.ch
snow conditions
Quote:

How about Murren

Not out of the question but as this is our first time in this area and we only have 4 days we'd prefer to be more central.

Have you stayed at the ValleyHostel ?[/quote]
ski holidays
One person here ( Laughing ) cant think who ( Laughing ) always stays in the Car Park then
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, not always....just usually!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, have you tried chalet service? they might have something, dunno on the price though.

Elizabeth B, when you stay down there do you find you hiss and run away from sunlight when on the mountain?
snow report
masmith, understand, just an idea but i was also thinking of altitude wink .
snow conditions
stab, Laughing
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, what do you mean "chalet service" ?
ski holidays
ah, I take it you mean www.chalet-service.ch ! Embarassed
ski holidays
I'll get you a web address tomorrow, they look after chalet type things for rent. Normally dump the parents in one if they come over.

Failing that try Clare, http://www.chaletwengen.ch/
she may be able to do something and if not she will know of something.

Can't guarantee what the prices are though.
latest report
masmith wrote:
ah, I take it you mean www.chalet-service.ch ! Embarassed

yep, beat me to it.
latest report
stab, thanks.

Back to the Victoria ... looks like it is equidiscent between the railway and the cable car - is this right? Can you ski back to the hotel then ? Don't find then Wengen website the most helpful I've come across Sad
snow report
masmith wrote:
Back to the Victoria ... looks like it is equidiscent

No, no horses allowed at all.

It's basically train station, some places, victoria lauberhorn, the cable car. It is bang in the middle.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 11-02-07 22:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The Victoria is about midway from the station & the cable car....and they are only 2mins apart!!

It is possible (snow permitting) to ski back to just above the station, or to the cable car....however te run to the cable car includes a small uphill section.
ski holidays
So is anyone out in Wengen now ?
latest report
masmith, both stab and ronald are there for the season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy