Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone that has bought new boots had to have custom insoles and the boot widened?

I bought new boots recently but although the length of the boot was fine the width wasn't - I was told that the boot I was given was the widest around and that it acutally wasn't the boot width that was the problem it was my posture etc that only custom insoles would cure.

After spending over two hours in the store and custom footbeds and reverse heel risers (?) my right boot was perfect. However the left boot still felt really tight across the widest part of the foot.

They stretched the shell using a heat gun and press (they did this twice) and finally the left boot was a great fit (no pain).

Now to the real question : I was told that eventually the shell would return to original shape as the plastics are 'memory' mold plastic blah blah.

Have you had your boots professionally widened and have they remained comfortable?

I was told to store the boots somewhere cool to prevent the rapid reforming!

Surely, if the boot shell returns to normal then I have bought a pair of boots that don't fit correctly and the shop shouldn't even have the tools to make the adjustments as they are selling a product that they know will become unfit for purpose?

stan Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always had mine widened/insoles and so far none seem to have shrunk back, if they do just get someone to stretch them again I guess - unfortunately ski boots don't come in an unlimited range of widths so the fat footed folk amongst us have to make do with this bizarre setup I think.

aj xx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks A.J.

Where do you store yours? In cool place (i.e. your loft in winter is cool but in summer is roastin!) Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the hallway cupboard - no idea how hot it gets to be honest but not right to the radiator or anything so should be reasonably temperate. Mine have a _big_ stretch on them and so far seem fine (2 years since last fix up I think) - used a boot heater thing last year with no side effects so not sure how 'memory' this memory plastic really is...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stankane, I bought new boots in Val d'Isere a few years ago, had custom footbeds made and went skiing next day. Halfway through the day my left foot was in agony, so the shop heated and stretched it where it was needed. It's been fine ever since. When I'm skiing I put them on bootwarmers or by the radiator and when I'm at home they sit in a cupboard near our hot water tank with no problems. I have had some new footbeds made since I bought them though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice!

thanks for that guys... you have put my mind at ease...

My boots are in the freezer just now... will remove them when i get home!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW - rachel

'guys' was a term of endearment and was not meant to be gender specific! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy