Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone skied in Taos, New Mexico?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am in the midst of planning a group ski trip for a bunch of Brits who live over in the States. We have managed to whittle it down to 2 resorts following a fantastic Christmas skiing some top resorts in Colorado (Aspen, Telluride, Crested Butte and Silverton Mountain (v. cool)). The dilema for our next is between Jackson Hole and Taos.

Has anyone skied Taos? Having looked at the piste map it looks like all of the double diamond skiing requires a significant hike from the top of the main lift station. Now I don't mind the odd hike, but this seems like quite a big yomp (30 minutes to some and close to a couple of hours to the top of teh main bowl, looking at the vertical) and to have to do it for every run us less appealing. Is this the case?

By sharing your knowledge you can sleep well knowing that you are helping someone who is trying to keep all of his ski buddies happy! Very Happy

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes a few times.

Heres some turns I made with a few folk on Kachina Peak back in 1992. You have to hike along the ridge to the right then up to the peak . Make sure your FIT.

Taos can be a Powder Paradise. Purpose built village at base. Was not to much to do when I was last there over 10 yrs ago. I did bump into Scott Scmitt & Glen Plake making a film there .

We stayed a couple of times down the road at a bunk house called Abomiable Snow Mansion. I just looked it up, cant believe its still there . Very chaep and freindly.

http://www.abominablesnowmansion.com/

Down in Taos itself its like any sprawed out American Town, you need car.

Best to ask Martin Bell about Taos I believed he lived there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave C, welcome to snowHeads.

As stanton says, send a PM to Martin Bell on here - he used to live/instruct there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Nice turns. Have PM'd Martin Bell (the real one?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave C, Yes the 'Real One'

... but then again I suspect everyone thinks they're real !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Having looked at the piste map it looks like all of the double diamond skiing requires a significant hike from the top of the main lift station.

Been to Taos twice.

Do you want double black diamond steep? Or do you really want powder ?

If it's steep, you will find quite some steep terrain inbound, or with short easy hikes. Taos' definition of black is closer to double black in other resorts.

But for powder, you need to travel to places few others go. The hike from Kachina lift to the ridge isn't too bad. But to get to Kachina Peak is a different story.

Taos isn't a large place. I would probably get bored for a week, unless there's happens to be dumped on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy