Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Robbing B*****ds

Poster: A snowHead
it has just been announced the from next tuesday(13/02) BA will be charging if you take more than 1 piece of hold luggage, 120GBP for europe 240GBP for further afield, even if they both weigh less than the weight allowed Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472 wrote:
it has just been announced

I might be wrong but I think this was announced last autumn. The e-tickets that I've received for flights after next week all mention the change in luggage arrangements. There are several exceptions to the 'one piece only' rule: North and South America plus a few other places.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's what I thought, and then someone read the article for me:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24014&highlight=
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry if this a repeat its just said on the radio that is has just be announced Embarassed Embarassed wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jase2472 wrote:
sorry if this a repeat its just said on the radio that is has just be announced Embarassed Embarassed wink

Obviously one of the radio presenters reads snowHeads... snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
so any mention of skis in this announcement, or do skis cost £120 with ba now???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it is interesting to note that you are still allowed ski equipment up to 23 kg (in addition to the one check-in bag of 23 kg) until 30th April 2007. What happens after this date though ?

Also watch out golfers because they give you 30 kg allowance for your golf bag but charge you 50% of the extra bag allowance, i.e £60, surfers get no extra weight allowance for their boards and get charged 50% of the extra bag allowance !!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
these rules are all getting so complicated. It's about time the airlines simply told you that it was £X per kilo for the flight you want. You weigh yourself, and your luggage, multiply the result by £X and that's that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the radio they said you were allowed sporting equipment, Golf Bags, Skis etc. free of charge. The suggestion was that "everyone@" will be buying sports bags to pack their extra luggage in. The other thought from Mathew Parris was wear all your luggage since they don't actually weigh passengers (yet).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be aware that when I dropped my bags at BA check-in this morning (1 ski bag, 1 boot bag and a suitcase) the guy said as of tomorrow it would of cost me extra and then asked me to read a leaflet. I pointed out that according to their conditions posted on the web that 1 ski bag and 1 boot bag together counts as 1 piece of sporting equipment and that he was (politely said) wrong and should check his information as the leaflet did not mention this.

If travelling with BA in the next few weeks, I strongly suggest you go the conditions on the web and PRINT a copy to take with you - could save loads of hassle.

The joys of airline travel... Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SHello, I mentioned this on another thread, as I have had this problem just with skis. The handling agents that BA now uses abroad are even less clued up on the allowance - a print out of the allowance on thewebsite is essential.

snowHead

Edit: Link corrected

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 12-02-07 22:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sage, I could understand someone from a third party company, but this was a BA employee at Heathrow T1 dedicated executive check in area - if these guys don't know, then what chance anyone else will know Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SHello, and it all may change at the end of April with respect to ski gear !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can anyone clarify the difference between the 'old' allowance of
"One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski. Plus one pair of ski boots and bindings."
and the new one of
"Snow and skiing equipment:
Skis, poles and boot bag allowed
Snowboard and boot bag allowed"
ie do the boots have to be in the same bag as the skis? Are boots actually able to go in a ski bag?

I'm OK, as I only have a boot bag, but you can just imagine some jobsworth saying I can't take boots for free if I haven't got skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
justacey, ski, poles and boot bag suggests all or nothing ! no boots FreeOfCharge without the obligatory skis/ploes.
snow conditions
rayscoops, BA website is quite clear, to quote:

Quote:
One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski. Plus one pair of ski boots and bindings.

snowHead
latest report
Sage wrote:
rayscoops, BA website is quite clear, to quote:

Quote:
One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski. Plus one pair of ski boots and bindings.

snowHead

Ah but that is today, when you click on the link for tomorrow onwards, it's my second quote.

Quote:
ski holidays
Sage, well played there justacey, also the new rules only last until 30th April, after which BA are silent on what will happen with ski equipment. They are basically waiting for the end of the ski season before making ski equipment the same as golf equipment I would guess. Invest in 'coffin' style board/ski bag companies now !!! because I reckon you will soon be only allowed one check-in bag free inclusive of your ski equipment. Or ski in Canada/USA etc.
ski holidays
BA allowances for ski gear, from their web pages. Looks like ONE bag for sports goods. Interesting that the lists refers to 'Rod and Tackle bags', plural but ski equipment is refered to in the singular

From 13 February 2007, all customers will be allowed to check in their respective free checked baggage allowance PLUS one additional item of sports equipment providing the item, weighs up to 23kg, and does not exceed the following dimensions:

2.5m x 1.00m x 0.80m (98in x 39in x 31in).

Any items that exceed the maximum dimensions will need to be transported as unaccompanied baggage, which can be arranged through BA World Cargo.

Sporting wheelchairs are considered sports equipment.

There are some examples of sports equipment where specific criteria apply. Please see the list below:

Snow and skiing equipment
Snowboard and boot bag allowed

Golf Equipment
A golf bag containing clubs and a pair of golf shoes allowed

Fishing equipment
The Rod & tackle bags are allowed

Bicycles
A single seat touring non motorised bicycle is allowed.

Windsurfer sets
Windsurfer sets comprise of board, sail & spare plus mast are all considered as one bag and will be accepted as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimensions

Diving equipment kit
Diving equipment kit comprises of facemask, pair of fins, pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, weights belt, and cylinder tank which must be empty to ensure safe handling.

Hang gliders
Hang gliders are unlikely to be with in the maximum dimensions but if they are will be counted as one bag
snow report
Maybe some enterprising SnowHead out in the Alps could come up with a storage and delivery service?
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, already in place, my mate always gets his stuff delivered, door to door pick up service for about thirty quid. What we need is snowheads with apartments across the alps so we can safely deliver our gear in advance to our designated resort wink Helen of SChev !!
snow report
rayscoops, who knows, I need an alterntive source of income if I ever decide to move out there permanently.
snow report
justacey wrote:

Ah but that is today, when you click on the link for tomorrow onwards, it's my second quote.

Sorry, was looking at the wrong page Embarassed . Even though it is not worded clearly they are still referring to separate bags, but you are only allowed one, so if you have skis and boots the boots will probably have to go in with your main bag (unless you have a big ski bag).

This could result in sales of large ski bags.

snowHead
snow report
Sage, I was reliably told by a BA employee that ski equipment meant skis and/or boots, so a ski bag and a boot bag would be allowed. Ski equipment is therefore boots and skis.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Sage, I was reliably told by a BA employee that ski equipment meant skis and/or boots, so a ski bag and a boot bag would be allowed. Ski equipment is therefore boots and skis.

Is it though, if you look at the wording (posted previously) it specifically says one bag extra only.

So is it - ski bag and boot bag (both allowed)

or

ski bag or boot bag (one only, not both) Puzzled

snowHead
ski holidays
Sage, BA assure me (just asked, the employee is my brother-in-law), that one piece of ski equipment means skis AND boots. IT's up to you whether that is in one bag or two.
ski holidays
soon all will be revealed, who will be the first snow head to travel under the new rules ?????
latest report
Thanks Helen Beaumont, that's good news. I e-mailed BA before I read your reply - hopefully they will say the same thing wink

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
soon all will be revealed, who will be the first snow head to travel under the new rules ?????

I'm travelling from Heathrow with BA this Friday. With just me boot bags. (well not just, but you know what I mean)
ski holidays
I'm going Sat, but thinking of packing my boots in my snowboard bag just to be sure.
latest report
Elizabeth B, that's the trouble, everyone will be angst-ridden in case they can't get their boots on the plane.
ski holidays
I have informed the bruv-in-law of the lack of clarity in the wording on the website, and of the experience of SHello above. He will check it out, and get back to me. As he works on the website, maybe he wrote the bloody thing, wouldn't surprise me.
ski holidays
I fly on Friday late afternoon but as I am going to Canada I am allowed 2 check-in bags plus ski gear (whatever that may or may not be) so I should be ok no matter what, but for interest I will take a snow board, separate boots bag and one check-in bag. I may even play the system and have two check in bags (one of which can swiftly become my hand luggage if need be !) to see exactly what happens. Also booked the Holl-Deck lounge for some 'light refreshments' and free internet so I will let everyone know exactly what I find out at about 15.00 hours.
snow conditions
Why don't you take boot bag as hand luggage?
ski holidays
Quote:

Why don't you take boot bag as hand luggage?

Because it's heavy?

I never hand carry my boots. It's quite a dead weight shuffling around the airport. So the earlier I can get rid of it, the better.

On transatlantic flights, you're allowed more luggage. So checking it in should not be a problem.
ski holidays
OK, more info from my brother-in-law.

Quote:
Yes - very confusing. As you say, ba.com clearly states that skis PLUS boot bag is allowed. I suggest they print off a copy of this page if they can, as evidence, and argue their case. This is all new to customer service staff, so they will be learning the ropes too (suggest they be assertive, but polite and patient!)

The internal comms that is going out is saying that one additional piece of sporting equipment is allowed. Whilst this is a nice simple message (and correct in most cases), it looks like skiing might be the exception. I can understand how BA staff could be confused.

I am going to try to get a definitive answer, if I can find out who 'owns' the policy.

Regards
M

PS. Is it possible to get a bag that can hold both skis and boots in one item? This would solve the problem - but don't know if such a thing exists.

and later
Quote:
Helen
I have tried, but cannot find anyone who can give me an absolutely definitive answer. However, the team leader for the ba.com team who maintain the website content has said she will contact the person who provided the website text to get them to (a) confirm it is correct and (b) make sure it is properly communicated to staff.

Unfortunately, today (13 Feb) is the FIRST day the new policy applies, so hence there will be some teething problems. I believe ground staff have been told to be 'sensitive' in how they apply the policy in the early days.

I cannot find any reference to 30 April. As far as I can tell, the policy is in force, as stated, for the indefinite future.

The only other thing to note is, should anyone wish to take an additional bag which is not covered by a 'sporting' exception, it is possible to pre-book this on ba.com. Excess bags will cost 30% less if pre-booked (for travel up to 30 September - falling to 20% reduction after that). For shorthaul flights this means £42 per bag if pre-booked (instead of £60). The same 23kg limit applies to the excess bag, so it will definitely be worth people 'pooling' their excess stuff, if travelling together, and sharing the cost of one extra bag.

Hope this has been of some help. let me know if any other questions and I will try to get answers.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-02-07 19:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks for the info Helen (and your brother-in-law)
If it means that BA get a kick up the behind for not being clear, then great.
snow conditions
I'm travelling BA next Sunday. I can't see a problem though. 2 adults, 4 kids, 6 bags of 23kg each baggage allowance, one pai of skis (come under the sporting equipment exceptions), and one pair ski boots that I always carry as hand baggage anyway (the boots are handy for stuffing our hard boiled eggs into). I prefer to take boots as hand baggage as less chance of them going astray. And the boot bag fits well within the size allowance fo cabin baggage.
snow conditions
Quote:
(the boots are handy for stuffing our hard boiled eggs into)

I've seen many a bottle of booze produced from a ski boot, but never a hard-boiled egg.
Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

I've seen many a bottle of booze produced from a ski boot, but never a hard-boiled egg.

I decided to buy a new pair of boots one year after discovering an orange in my boot left in from the previous year. No idea how it got there but it didn't smell to healthy Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy