Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short Trip Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of going for a short break skiing in March somewhere between 18th and 25th however done a few week long tour company organised trips we have never done a DIY let alone a short trip.

Couple of issues.

We want 3 full days on the slopes. Like our reds but black not part of plans so we need a fairly challenging resort?
We want to fly out early evening and fly back early one morning, saves on days of from work.
We live in Cardiff (not an issue in itself!) however limits local airports will most likely have to use Heathrow.

My thoughts were to book cheapest flights we can get that suit and then worry about resort and accomadation?
Geneva seems to offer the best flights time variations?
What resorts are nearest and worth travelling to from Geneva?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gwaelod, We do a lot of short breaks for our clients in our chalets in Morzine (only just over an hour from Geneva) and you can do it a couple of ways:-

eg Fly out early Sunday 18th March, ski all afternoon, ski Monday, ski Tuesday and fly back late Wednesday (3 nights accommodation)
or
Fly out late Sunday 18th March, ski mon, ski Tues, ski Wed and fly back early Thursday (4 nights accommodation)
Or any dates around these youhave many variations available......

We have availability for this week and would love to help, can also do transfers.

See www.snowandtrek.co.uk or call us on 01243 379970
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gwaelod, I'm flying from Bristol 0700 23rd March to Geneva and then Back on Monday 26th am. 2.5 days on the piste but only 1.5 days holiday!! Pretty cheap on flights. Last year went to Flaine, only just over an hour and the year before went to Chamonix. Both good.

snowandtrek, We've yet to sort accomodation for the dates above, 2 blokes, 45 and 42 (Brothers) both intermediate. One a vegetarian!!! (not me) Do you have availabilty for those dates? snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gwaelod, nice name - are you an Australian Welshman by any chance!!!!

as you've already suggested flying to GVA is a good bet for a short break, we've done this plenty of times and never had a problem finding accomodation

resort wise loads of choice so i'd recommend booking flights asap then waiting to see where has got good snow before choosing a resort

the other alternative is stay somewhere in the valley near the autoroute blanche then drive a relatively short distance to a resort of your choice that day - we did this over NY and skiied Courmayeur, Les Houches, Les Contamines, Avoriaz etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gwaelod, Grenoble with Easyjet from Bristol is my favourite and then off to Isere region
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C wrote:
gwaelod, nice name - are you an Australian Welshman by any chance!!!!

as you've already suggested flying to GVA is a good bet for a short break, we've done this plenty of times and never had a problem finding accomodation

resort wise loads of choice so i'd recommend booking flights asap then waiting to see where has got good snow before choosing a resort

the other alternative is stay somewhere in the valley near the autoroute blanche then drive a relatively short distance to a resort of your choice that day - we did this over NY and skiied Courmayeur, Les Houches, Les Contamines, Avoriaz etc

An Irish Welsham which makes me very smug this week after last weekends game! Razz Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as i am a welsh welshman please try not to gloat too much Crying or Very sad

so anyway why the name gwaelod,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roger C,
gwaelod means bottom or the dregs!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod, we have just done a weekend in Italy with a group of 10. Flew Stanstead to Bergamo with Ryanair leaving at 06:40 on Friday morning. Arrived on time, were out of the terminal with all gear loaded by 10:00. Skis first touched the slopes at midday so a long half day. Saturday we needed the skibus to go to a more snowy resort, left the hotel at 9:50 and reached the bottom lift at 10:10. Ski bus came back at 17:15 so we had a good day. Sunday we caught a different skibus to a third resort, left the hotel at 08:30 and skis first touched the slopes at about 09:15. We had to leave at 14:00 to return to the hotel, change and head for the airport. Left the car part at Stanstead at 21:00 for the drive home. 1 day holiday for a good 2 days on the snow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roger C wrote:
as i am a welsh welshman please try not to gloat too much Crying or Very sad

so anyway why the name gwaelod,

Might have something to do with where we live?

Thanks for the great advice above, keep it coming.

We have one stumbling block in that the M in L will have to have the kids (5,6 and Cool and she has had a fairly major operation. She has said she should be ok by mid to late March to have kids but won't commit until end of Feb so we can't book anything.

Did see some flights with easyjet out of Bristol about 1pm ish on a Wednesday, flying back about 10am on the Sunday which would be perfect. All we have to do is wait for M in L to get better.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gwaelod, if you can get flights to Munich or Innsbruck there are loads of possibilities. I have just come back from a cracking w/e skiing around the Innsbruck area - check out the link below

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23949
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we fly to Granada and ski sierra nevada stay in a hotel in Granada its 1/4 the price than the village, we are off on 25th for 3 days on the slopes snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
martski, yes i know that but was wondering why it was chosen as a name!

gwaelod, hope the M in L recovers in time!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just reading all this, and wondering - is it a silly idea to go skiing on one's own? Only I now have every other weekend free (children at their dad's) and I can't necessarily rustle up a crowd to go skiing with at short notice, and finding a single ticket on a flight doesn't seem too difficult. Would it be foolhardy to go on my own, if I fancied taking off on a whim? Driving alone in France doesn't bother me, had to do it loads when I worked for a tour operator, and I don't intend to go off-piste. The only thing I'd stress about would be putting snow chains on. I'm sitting here feeling a bit of a berk for choosing such sociable leisure pursuits -my other hobby has been a casualty of my split (it's tricky to climb when there's no-one to belay for you Sad ).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
its never a silly idea to go skiing but if there is only on of you it might be cheaper to fly rather than take a car on your own snowHead
latest report
jase2472, sorry, I meant a hire car. Blimey - don't think I fancy driving from Cheshire to the Alps and back in a weekend!
ski holidays
clara_jo, you don't necessarily have to ski on your own. We have just been to Italy for the weekend with a group from our local dry slope club. Try taking yourself off to your local dry slope and see what's going on, or alternatively look at their website but this may not be as informative as a real person and the various notice boards they tend to put up. We belong to the SCGB and when we go away as a family (we all ski at different levels) we choose resorts where there is a rep for one or more of us to ski with. This does not work for a Saturday because reps always have Saturdays off, but works for most of the rest of the week depending on numbers and standards. We have seldom found the groups oversubscribed and seldom has the standard been so good that we have had to miss days. Travelling on your own is not so difficult as you might imagine. Flights are easy. There are generally private or public transport services from the airport to the resort of your choice. You just have to carry out some research (the SCGB website has a guide to independent travel which provides a good start and the airport websites often have useful information - try also the resort websites). Bear in mind that people from other parts of the EU are more used to public transport than we are and consequently the services are good. We often go to Switzerland where the trains are on time and the bus services are timed to co-ordinate with the trains. Generally the bus station is in or next door to the train station. If anything, it will be finding a single room that is most difficult.
snow report
SHello wrote:
gwaelod, if you can get flights to Munich or Innsbruck there are loads of possibilities. I have just come back from a cracking w/e skiing around the Innsbruck area - check out the link below

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23949

Looked at this and it will come down to cost.

The dates I seem keen on (bearing in mind we need M in L to recover) is fly out Wednesday 21st March. Flying back Sunday 25th out of Bristol.

On those dates Easyjet fly out of Bristol to Geneva and BA fly out to Munich more or less the same time. Easyjet is £204 for the 2 of us return to Geneva and BA is £400+ to Munich. Bit of a no brainer!! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy